Answers anybody??

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi,
Been waiting for someone to get back about this calf of mine that is sick with pneumonia or IBR or something else. Anyone have any idea??? Got him a dose of Nuflor 5 cc SQ Monday afternoon and temp is down slightly to 102.2 today.
Katherine

Katherine":3kov2kcr said:
Hi,
Been waiting for someone to get back about this calf of mine that is sick with pneumonia or IBR or something else. Anyone have any idea??? Got him a dose of Nuflor 5 cc SQ Monday afternoon and temp is down slightly to 102.2 today.
Katherine
If you are on good terms with a veternarian, he or she could probaly help you faster than someone on here. I would suggest you call a vet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning all,
Quick question about an Angus bull calf I have. 17 days old, about 85 lbs. This bull had a very hard delivery because of an extremely flexed pastern and when I found him about an hour after birth,he was cleaned off, but too tired to even move. I got at least a qt. of colostrum down him from momma right away and continued to do this every 2 hours for 24 hours. At that time he still was not standing and nursing and I noticed his nose skinned up/bloody looking and crusty lesions on mouth, ears and eyelids. Called my vet and he said to start him on Baytril 1.5cc, LA 200 10cc (to treat pastern also) and Banamine 1 cc once a day as he said he had pneumonia.
We have only 2 large animal vets within 2 hours here and they prefer their small animal practice for obvious reasons so to this date my usual vet has continued to instruct me as to medication and has not seen the calf. Too busy!
I did call a second vet in last Wednesday and he looked at the calf without even taking his temp or looking closely at him and suggested I give him Nolvasan for the lesions. Said the nose abrasions looked like "Red Nose" but said the calf couldn't have been born with it.
It has been 11 days now that I have been treating this calf and he really is no better. His temp is still fluctuating around 103.0, breathing still rapid/shallow.
He has no diarrhea, no coughing, no nasal discharge, eats very well and vigorously from momma and tries to walk and hop but has trouble because of pastern that is splinted.
My vet believes he has pneumonia; I on the other hand am not convinced and don't understand these lesions and why they haven't gone away, and the nose is still raw.
I am extremely frustrated not only with the vets, but at the meds that don't appear to be working. I talked to a dairy friend yesterday and he said he would get me a bottle of Nufluor from his vet (who only does dairy cattle); said it has worked miracles for him and several other dairymen.
I guess my question to you after all this is: could this calf have BVD at birth? The mother was not vaccinated as I just bought her and she was pregnant. Will Nufluor work on a calf this age? Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Maybe this will help ya'll

Ollie":108baq2c said:
LA4angus ,
Did you read her post?
Yes, I read her post. She doesn't know what is wrong with the calf. She knows that it is "something".

:idea: Not sure what your calf has, but noticed on some of our calves that had pnuemonia that they developed a kind of "fever blister" on their noses. Only other time saw anything similar was calves who had frostbitten their noses at birth...although a hard delivery can cause the nose to swell quite a lot.
For pneumonia we were treating them with Nuflor and had fairly good results with it, but have had the best results when treating with a drug called Mycotil (but it's very expensive - cost over $300 for a smallish bottle up here). Have to say it was worth it, as only a small dosage was required, and it sure kicked butt on the virus when we treated with it. Mind you, that was before BSE knocked the heck out of the value of our calves... can't say that we can justify the expensive drugs this year if a fall calf doesn't bring much.
Also noticed that the fevered calves would repeatedly wander down to a "soupy" wet part of the pen and stand hock deep in it if given the opportunity...could be a natural way of lowering the body temperature during fever? Who knows.
Best of luck with your calf. :)

I may be wrong, but isn't Mycotil a deadly drug if accidently injected in humans?

Hi Guest,
Well now, I'm not sure about the danger of injecting a human with Mycotil... haven't tried it, and sure don't want to! Any more info regarding this would be nice. I have heard that Blackleg vaccine can be pretty nasty for humans.
Take care. :)

Anonymous":3eq26whz said:
I may be wrong, but isn't Mycotil a deadly drug if accidently injected in humans?

I'm sure it could if the person was injected with a large amount or had an serious adverse reaction, but people have been accidentally injected & recovered.

Micotil is deadly to cattle if administered intravenously.

CattleAnnie":3oygissn said:
I have heard that Blackleg vaccine can be pretty nasty for humans.
Take care. :)

bangs, too & lutalyse for women.

Mycotil works wonders... also a shot of banamine.. that is generally what my vet tells me to do. Mycotil is a one-shot drug that can knock it out of them in hours sometimes. Contact your vet, as you generally cant by it over the counter. The banamine, which is a pain killer, helps them relax and breathe a bit easier.

Anonymous":259skfrl said:
Anonymous":259skfrl said:

I'm sure it could if the person was injected with a large amount or had an serious adverse reaction, but people have been accidentally injected & recovered.

Micotil is deadly to cattle if administered intravenously.

From what I've been told by some feedlot workers, mycotil is very dangerous if accidentally injected in a human- They take extreme care when using it- I read a post on another site where a feedlot worker had died after an accident with mycotil.

Lutalyse can not only cause problems for pregnant women, but also people with asthma or lung disease. I always wear rubber gloves and use extreme care when handling it, too.

Hi All,
Thanks Ollie for trying to get my original post out where the people that responded to my follow up post could see it. Obviously the followup post made me seem quite brainless and without commom sense! Not too sure about how these 'Posts' work as far as replying and such.
To clear up this mess, I HAVE had 2 vets involved, including my regular vet who I called the day after he was born. I have followed instructions from both vets. Just frustrating when one vet tells you what is 'wrong' over the phone and is too busy to come out (I even asked if I could bring him into town - denied) and another comes out and tells you to treat with Nolvasan and didn't address the other problems nor seemed to care.
Anyway, this morning his temp is right around 102.1 which I am happy for. He is still alert, nursing well and starting to nibble on hay, but still breathing rapidly.
Thanks Dyann and Cattle Annie for your suggestions for Mycotil. If I don't have any Mycotil laying around not outdated, I can get it or any drug from my dairy counterparts as they can easily get it from their vets who show up at a moments notice. Dairy vets REFUSE to work on beef, I have begged and pleaded with more than one of them. I tell them I have a good clean lighted working area complete with squeeze chute and Palp cage, hot water, etc. and they still refuse. I tell them that other vets complain my whole herd is too friendly, they don't care.
Cattle Annie, you mentioned the lowered head, droopy ears, no appetite, in general depressed; this calf is none of that. He is very alert, eats like a hog, tries to be active but because of his splint he can't stand up for long (he had a 90 degree extremely rigid flexed pastern that is about a 45 degree angle now). He has gained at least 10 pounds since his birth weight of 87. And thanks for the thought about the nose being swollen from birth trauma, I figured his eyes were swollen from that, but didn't even think about his nose. Still doesn't explain the crusty lesions on ears and mouth.
I have spent the past 2 days researching and reading everything I can on the internet trying to find out what is wrong with this big guy to no avail. He doesn't have all the symptoms for any of the diseases. It seems as though I should have gone to vet school as I intended to many moons ago.
AAARRRGGHHHH!!! Soooo frustrating!!! I had a thought this morning.... Could his momma have something in her milk that is keeping him infected with something??

Thanks for any thoughts, not looking for any diagnoses!
Katherine

Mycotil is fatal in humans, even a small amount causes the heart to race and there is really nothing they can do. I have heard of 2 poeple dieing from this.

My vet says to handle it with extreme caution.....

Latest posts