Another Wiring Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
Okay, running the wire from the front to the back. Keeping in mind the frame is 5 inch with 3-1/2 inch cross members, flush with the bottom of the 5 inch.

Option #1. Run it along the bottom through some plastic loom, attaching it to the cross members.

Option #2. Same route but drill 1/2 inch holes in the crossmembers, close to the outside frame.

Option #3. Run it through the side rails with or without the plastic loom.

I'm kind of partial to #3 with the plastic loom. That would keep it from getting snagged and with it in the loom I wouldn't think there would be a problem with it rubbing through the insulation anywhere.

Not sure what you are building so I will just assume it is a trailer. In any case I agree with you on option 3 with the loom. As you stated it provides the most protection from being snagged, or critters eating it for that matter, and with the loom it is very unlikely to rub through.

I think you will be better off keeping the wires as protected as possible. If that means running them through the cross members up high by drilling holes then thats the way to go.

If you're worried about the wires chaffing and rubbing through the insulation you can run them through a small hose placed in the holes you drilled. The hose will act like a grommet and protect the wires.

Also place the loom in plastic sheathing full length. That will help protect them from rock damage flying up from the road.

We take and weld half inch pipe on the inside of the frame in between the cross members, leave enough room on each side to get your hand on the wire and run it thru a half inch hole in the cross member to the other side and the next half inch pipe.