Another Vet question..

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
The $500 is high. You must accelerate your learning curve. There are many other reasons to do it yourself besides money. Does your state have an extension program?

It's always going to cost more if they come to your place instead of you going to theirs, but it sounds like they may not have cattle handling facilities at their clinics?

The $500 sounds high to me too, but having to bring another person to assist may be part of it. Factor in tho, how much you would have lost had calf and momma both died. More than $500. There's 'cost' and then there is 'value'.

$45 just for the 'house call' itself here, if mine comes out the 25 miles one way... more if it's an emergency where she has to drop what else she's doing and get on the road. Whatever she actually does on the call is extra of course. That $45 is just the travel, and if it's on her scheduled day of farm calls (all 3 vets here schedule farm calls on Wed).
I took one in last year on an hour's notice to the vet that didn't clean out and was beginning to show signs of infection. Clean out, checked her reproduction tract, a couple of shots, 2 boluses and it was less than $200--a bargain imo, tho I 'should' have been able to do it all myself.

You'll need to establish that Client/vet relationship anyway if you are going to need any prescriptions due to the new regs.

for the vet i use it's a $30 trip charge $2 a minute and the cost of the needles and meds they use

if they had to send someone to help i guess it would probably be $4 a minute

Margonme":481t3yvn said:
True Grit Farms":481t3yvn said:
You need to blood test for pregnancy it's cheap and easy.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/ear ... gQodo6cEWg

That is what I use too. Very cheap.
You can get them direct from BioPRYN. In my area they go to:
Suite A
1224 Alton Darby Creek Rd
Columbus Ohio 43228

We send our test here and they waste no time letting you know the results.

Oak Haven Diagnostics
374 Piedmont rd.
Barnesville, Georgia 30204

True Grit Farms":2rfw2tif said:
You need to blood test for pregnancy it's cheap and easy.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/ear ... gQodo6cEWg

That's exactly what I was going to suggest... However you do have to have a good facility to set up to draw the blood. That 500.00 im not shocked on but depends on if after hours etc I would really suggest gathering all the things you "may" need and keep on hand even if you don't use it your whole farm career.

ez14.":3ccd3cgb said:
for the vet i use it's a $30 trip charge $2 a minute and the cost of the needles and meds they use

NO, assistants/gophers don't get $120 hour... but doctors do.

Son of Butch":29djalqb said:
ez14.":29djalqb said:

NO, assistants/gophers don't get $120 hour... but doctors do.
i dont think this vet practice has gophers so if someone comes to help it will probably be another doctor (but i really dont know for sure because i haven't ever seen them bring help)

We are lucky to have several vets fairly close but the avg going rate is figured 2 different ways. One gets $45 farm call plus mileage ( about $25) plus whatever they are doing; $4.00 head for preg checks. The other charges $100 an hour and is pretty fast for things like preg checks. It's a toss up. We don't do ultrasound because most are in the 4-7 month range when we are looking to move cattle and get them in to pull calves for sale or weaning...we just need to know if they are preg. If we were doing much AI then it would be different. We do an avg of 25-40 preg checks at a time.

Latest posts