Another Use For Vaseline

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Discovered another use for Veseline (petroleum jelly) today.

Since I had some abrasions on my hand and got some roof coating tar on my hand, didn't want to use gasoline. I rubbed in a good layer of Vaseline over the tar and then scrubbed it all off with a paper towel. Worked like a charm! Hardly left a trace of tar. Then just washed my hands in soap and water.

:clap:

I've been using it on my hands for years. Anytime they get dry, cracked, or split, it's always the product that goes on. And yes it is a great cleaner too!

Had a guy tell me that you can rub some vaseline on the nose and the tail head of a heifer if she is coming into cycle to prevent other animals in the show ring from riding her. Don't know if i works, havn't had to try it.

Its a good fire starter for the fireplace. Take a wad of kleenex or a paper towl, dredge in vaseline bottle/can, place under stack of fire wood and light the vaseline. It will burn long enough and hot enough to catch green mesquite on fire.

I was in line behind this older lady(late 60's or better) @ Walmart, she had about 10 canisters of Vaseline in her cart, she must have caught me looking....she asked me, bet your wondering about all the vaseline. Oh, no I said...she proceeded to tell me the fire starter trick. I kind of blew it off. Later in the year during deer season, we got to the ranch/camp house. We were out of propane for the heaters and it was Cold, I went and gathered up some mesquite for the fireplace. Had 1 old feed bag( no other paper in sight) to use to try and get a fire going, no luck. I would have paid 20.00 for bottle of lighter fluid at that point. Then I remembered the older lady @ Walmart. My wife had one those purse kleenex packs with her and in the medicine cabinet in the B/R there was an old jar of vaseline. Must have been 1 my grandmother bought, cuz the label was faded out and she passed about 10 yrs ago. I did as I was told by the lady @ walmart and it worked! She saved our southends from freezing, atleast saved me from having to drive 25 miles to nearest store for lighter fluid.

saltbranch":c57pqvnp said:
Its a good fire starter for the fireplace. Take a wad of kleenex or a paper towl, dredge in vaseline bottle/can, place under stack of fire wood and light the vaseline. It will burn long enough and hot enough to catch green mesquite on fire.

I was in line behind this older lady(late 60's or better) @ Walmart, she had about 10 canisters of Vaseline in her cart, she must have caught me looking....she asked me, bet your wondering about all the vaseline. Oh, no I said...she proceeded to tell me the fire starter trick. I kind of blew it off. Later in the year during deer season, we got to the ranch/camp house. We were out of propane for the heaters and it was Cold, I went and gathered up some mesquite for the fireplace. Had 1 old feed bag( no other paper in sight) to use to try and get a fire going, no luck. I would have paid 20.00 for bottle of lighter fluid at that point. Then I remembered the older lady @ Walmart. My wife had one those purse kleenex packs with her and in the medicine cabinet in the B/R there was an old jar of vaseline. Must have been 1 my grandmother bought, cuz the label was faded out and she passed about 10 yrs ago. I did as I was told by the lady @ walmart and it worked! She saved our southends from freezing, atleast saved me from having to drive 25 miles to nearest store for lighter fluid.
That's her story and she's STICKIN TOOIT !!!! :banana:

blranch":2o2j0po5 said:
Had a guy tell me that you can rub some vaseline on the nose and the tail head of a heifer if she is coming into cycle to prevent other animals in the show ring from riding her. Don't know if i works, havn't had to try it.

He probably meant vicks instead of Vaseline as we used to use it when we showed horses.

Jovid on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:00 pm

blranch wrote:

He probably meant vicks instead of Vaseline as we used to use it when we showed horses.

He sai vaseline, but I don't know if it actually works. But Vicks does work for that purpose?

Jovid":2ozt7sgq said:
blranch":2ozt7sgq said:

That is what I was thinking too. My uncle had a team of Black Shetland ( :mad: ) ponie stallions and he used vicks on them every time he hooked them up. Had a fancy little buckboard and took them to parades etc. They looked pretty but them shetlands can be nasty little demons. :devil2:

Jovid":2szr2wos said:
blranch":2szr2wos said:

Put some turpentine back there and you'll turn that show horse into a thoroughbred...or at least a quarter horse. :banana:

When I was kid, I rode a black sheltland pony when my dad and grandpa worked cattle on their horses. That was about the most honeriest critter out there. He would swell up when putting the saddle on, go under every low limb to knock me off he could find..LOL. One time while working cattle he was acting up so bad, my grandfather got him, his legs nearly touched the ground...worked him over good, lathered up. I got back on him, best 2 hrs ever as far as riding went. I often tell my wife that women must be related to shetland ponies...she is a city girl, does not get it. :lol2:

Used cooking oil also works for removing tar etc. from hands. You can rub someon wooden handles of forks, shovels, rakes and it keeps them from drying out. Also rub some on the inside of metal feeders, water troughs, pails, etc. to keep them from rusting when not in use.

Nothing I've found works better for gaulding than Vaseline. Put it on after a shower, and it will usually be cleared up the next day. Those of you that work outside in 100 degree heat all day, know what I'm talking about. In my opinion, nothing hurts worse.

Running Arrow Bill":1y9xgrei said:
Discovered another use for Veseline (petroleum jelly) today.

Since I had some abrasions on my hand and got some roof coating tar on my hand, didn't want to use gasoline. I rubbed in a good layer of Vaseline over the tar and then scrubbed it all off with a paper towel. Worked like a charm! Hardly left a trace of tar. Then just washed my hands in soap and water.

:clap:

Thanks for the excellent tip, wish I would have know this last spring. I did my drive way, and I had tar all over my hands, had no choice by to use gasoline, it was pain full to say the least, and didn't completely remove the tar. Had the tar on my hands for about 2 weeks, the dogs also stayed away from me for about the same amount of time...

http://livestock-id.blogspot.com

Latest posts