Another Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Here's an updated picture of a heifer we bought, MK High Society. She's currently #1 in the Hall of Fame. We are pretty excited about her. She is a different type of heifer than we normally have. Similar in quality, just a little different style.

Here's the original thread on her: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53226&p=608382&hilit=society#p608382

MK_High_Society_-_001.jpg

Opinions/Thoughts/Criticisms/Observations/Questions welcomed

Ryan

Ryan, she's still a real nice heifer. Growing really well. Seems a bit more "leggy" than she was 5 months ago. Might just be going thru a stage. They sure do that.
Have you had her out showing?

I agree that she is more "leggy" in this picture. Also, I took the picture from an angle that is a little low, so thats not helping things.

We've definitely had her out showing. She's the number one show female in the breed right now. She's been Grand Champion female a number of times as a Junior. She has been pretty tough to get around this show season. She's probably have a really good chance of winning it all at our World Show, if we were going.

Ryan

as said she is a leggy heifer.but as she matures you wont notice it that much,an being leggy sure wont hurt her.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1b7v74ey said:
Not going :shock: that's too bad.

Eh... not really. I'd rather not go. The only thing special about that show is the entry that is very high, and the title. Just one person's opinion on another day. There has been very little done to keep the prestige of winning the title of World Champion.

As it is now, I'd rather win something at an Autobahn Show than one of the registry's World Championship Shows. Lots more, and better, animals competing at the Autobahn Youth Tour shows than the any of the World Championship shows.

Ryan

Ryan":19vye9uq said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":19vye9uq said:
Not going :shock: that's too bad.

Eh... not really. I'd rather not go. The only thing special about that show is the entry that is very high, and the title. Just one person's opinion on another day. There has been very little done to keep the prestige of winning the title of World Champion.

As it is now, I'd rather win something at an Autobahn Show than one of the registry's World Championship Shows. Lots more, and better, animals competing at the Autobahn Youth Tour shows than the any of the World Championship shows.

Ryan

Ryan-

It is obvious that you are continuing to follow the admonition of "Breeding the Best to the Best"! It is a simple statement which embodies a tremendous amount of thought, study, and the selection choices of utilizing MORE than 'single trait' protocols! You are doing an admirable job of helping to improve the Longhorn breed in several factors of Phenotype AND Genotype traits. My hat is off to you, my friend! :tiphat:

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2n9lvt7y said:
Ryan-

It is obvious that you are continuing to follow the admonition of "Breeding the Best to the Best"! It is a simple statement which embodies a tremendous amount of thought, study, and the selection choices of utilizing MORE than 'single trait' protocols! You are doing an admirable job of helping to improve the Longhorn breed in several factors of Phenotype AND Genotype traits. My hat is off to you, my friend! :tiphat:

DOC HARRIS

DOC,

Thank you very much. That really means a lot coming from you.

Ryan

Australian":1k8sgxy3 said:
What is the Longhorn breeds temperament like? I've only seen them in movies stampeding.
Colin

As a rule Texas Longhorns are very docile, gentle, and don't spook easily. Responsible breeders cull hard for temperament which with any breed is about 40% inheritable. There are a few Longhorns that are extremely protective of their new calves; however, as time passes the mamas calm down as soon as the calf is old enough to watch out for itself. There is also a high social influence with them: put an excitable animal in a group of very calm ones and over a period of time the excitable one will calm down (and vice versa).

ANY breed of cattle will "stampeed" if people or other predators whoop, holler, chase them, fire off their six-guns, etc. The most probable reason the old movies used Longhorns was that they "looked" more dangerous with their horns and made for good scenes in the movies.

Longhorns train very easily to lead as well as to ride. Long horned steers are occasionally trained as riding steers in parades, etc. [There are several such animals at the Ft Worth, TX. Stockyards "mall" that are ridden daily in the streets and mingle among the visitors and tourists...calm as a wild child with a double dose of Valium...lol].

Latest posts