another tractor question

Help Support CattleToday:

2755 or 2955 John Deere and 6610 or 7610 ford might be some to look at also. John Deere and Kubota are both fine tractors. I'm sure you know this, but your not going to find any tractor of any brand that is 100% trouble free.

It cost me money to learn two things in the last 3 years:

4WD is essential in Kentucky Hill Country.
Tractors need size, footprint, and HP to do some of the things a farm requires.

I started with a JD 5055 D, open cab, 2WD. I traded it for a JD 5083E, 4WD, Enclosed cab in the first year. Lost about $2,000 by that mistake. But I am thankful I was not too hardheaded to realize I made a mistake. My pastures are steep. My bushhog weighs 1100 pounds and is only a 6 foot heavy duty rotary cutter but it was causing me to break traction often enough that I was going to get killed. The 5083 E with 4WD has probably saved my life. I manhandle my bushhog now.

I can say this. I have owned dozers and operated a skid steer. I love a skid steer but the FEL on my tractor with 4WD is very impressive compared to a skid steer. The skid steer does offer advantages in close quarters.

tsmaxx47":38egwx15 said:
salty - what are you going to do about the mesquite?
We are spot spraying new growth with Remedy Ultra and diesel mixed. We are getting good kill with that, spray around the base.

Any opinions the the JD 5425 or 5500 series, known problems?

How many hours is considered worn out.close to rebuild time? I see alot of tractors with 6000-7000 hrs up for sale, I am guessing thats when its close to problem time?

if a tractor has had the oil an filters changed an maintained it can last for no telling how meny hours.

5510 is a piece of crap. A/C doesn;t work, filters are a bear to clean and with mine if you're below a half tank of fuel it will run out of fuel going up a slight slope. Fuel tank is also awkward to fill even with an elevated supply tank. And the pto neutral switch is in a crappy location and gets gummed up so the tractor won;t start and it's hard to reach to clean the junk out of it, also a small cramped cab.

We have an open station 5420, and have been pretty happy with it. They say the fuel pumps on some of them will tend to lose their prime, but we haven't had that issue. We've had it a couple of years now.

I will sure second Dun on the small, cramped cab though. I looked at one with a cab - might have bought it if the cab had been bigger, but I'm a big guy, and I knew there was no way I could spend much time in there.

saltbranch":1iy64p8v said:
Caustic, how thick are the teeth and how long? Do you set them at an angle?

The yellow rake for really mean stiff if built out of drill stem and the teeth are 10 inches long on about 22 1/2 deg.
If the tractor can run over it or you back up and drop it down over it, it is coming out of the ground.

The one behind the New Holland has 6 inch teeth set square to the frame work's really good also.
Great for cleaning up down trees and brush piles. It is just lighter duty.

Teeth are 1/2 inch plate steel on some of the stress point's they have ended up doubled to 1 inch.

On the yellow one extension's have been welded on as the teeth had wore down from years of use.

Red Bull Breeder":22zqoscg said:
Saw a Kubota 9540 on ebay today for $25,000,00, was in Ky.Cab 4 wheel drive with a loader.

I have been looking at those

hers it some of what I am dong with the Case 485
Started with this
After some work with the tractor, same spot
[URL=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/McAdaRanch/media/IMAG0660_zpsc6d3d394.jpg.html]

IMAG0657_zps9426373d.jpg
[/URL]

[URL=http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/McAdaRanch/media/IMAG0727_zps52b28cd0.jpg.html]
IMAG0743_zps7532ec62.jpg
[/URL]

Latest posts