Reaction score
(The following story was written by Lori Kimble, a 31 year old teacher
and proud military wife. Mrs. Kimble, a California native, currently
lives in Alabama.)

I was sitting alone in one of those loud, casual steak houses that you
find all over the country. You know the type--a bucket of peanuts on
every table, shells littering the floor, and a bunch of perky college
kids
racing around with longneck beers and sizzling platters.

Taking a sip of my iced tea, I studied the crowd over the rim of my
glass. My gaze lingered on a group enjoying their meal. They wore no
uniform to identify their branch of service, but they were definitely
"military:" clean shaven, cropped haircut, and that "squared away" look
that comes with pride.

Smiling sadly, I glanced across my table to the empty seat where my
husband usually sat. It had only been a few months since we sat in this
very booth, talking about his upcoming deployment to the Middle East.
That was when he made me promise to get a sitter for the kids, come back
to
this restaurant once a month and treat myself to a nice steak. In turn
he
would treasure the thought of me being here, thinking about him until
he returned home

I fingered the little flag pin I constantly wear and wondered where he
was at this very moment. Was he safe and warm? Was his cold any better?
Were my letters getting through to him? As I pondered these thoughts,
High pitched female voices from the next booth broke into my thoughts.

"I don't know what Bush is thinking about. Invading Iraq. You'd think
that man would learn from his old man's mistakes. Good lord. What an
idiot! I can't believe he is even in office.
You do know, he stole the election."

I cut into my steak and tried to ignore them, as they began an endless
tirade running down our president. I thought about the last night I
spent with my husband, as he prepared to deploy. He had just returned
from getting his smallpox and anthrax shots. The image of him standing
in
our kitchen packing his gas mask still gives me chills.

Once again the women's voices invaded my thoughts. "It is all about
oil, you know. Our soldiers will go in and rape and steal all the oil
they can in the name of 'freedom'. Hmph! I wonder how many innocent
people
they'll kill without giving it a thought? It's pure greed, you know."

My chest tightened as I stared at my wedding ring. I could still see
how handsome my husband looked in his "mess dress" the day he slipped it
on my finger. I wondered what he was wearing now. Probably his desert
uniform, affectionately dubbed "coffee stains"
with a heavy bulletproof vest over it.

"You know, we should just leave Iraq alone. I don't think they are
hiding any weapons. In fact, I bet it's all a big act just to increase
the president's popularity. That's all it is, padding the military
budget
at the expense of our social security and education. And, you know what
else? We're just asking for another 9-ll.
I can't say when it happens again that we didn't deserve it."

Their words brought to mind the war protesters I had watched gathering
outside our base. Did no one appreciate the sacrifice of brave men
and women, who leave their homes and family to ensure our freedom?
Do they even know what "freedom" is?

I glanced at the table where the young men were sitting, and saw their
courageous faces change. They had stopped eating and looked at each
other dejectedly, listening to the women talking. "Well, I, for one,
think it's just deplorable to invade Iraq,
and I am certainly sick of our tax dollars going to train
professional baby-killers we call a military."

Professional baby-killers? I thought about what a wonderful father my
husband is, and of how long it would be before he would see
our children again.

That's it! Indignation rose up inside me. Normally reserved, pride in
my husband gave me a brassy boldness I never realized I had. Tonight one
voice will answer on behalf of our military,
and let her pride in our troops be known.

Sliding out of my booth, I walked around to the adjoining booth and
placed my hands flat on their table. Lowering myself to eye level with
them, smilingly said, "I couldn't help overhearing your conversation.

You see, I'm sitting here trying to enjoy my dinner alone. And, do you
know why? Because my husband, whom I love with all my heart, is halfway
around the world defending your right to say rotten things about him."

"Yes, you have the right to your opinion, and what you think is none
of my business. However, what you say in public is something else, and I
will not sit by and listen to you ridicule MY country, MY president, MY
husband, and all the other fine American men and women who put their
lives on the line, just so you can have the "freedom" to complain.
Freedom is an expensive commodity, ladies.
Don't let your actions cheapen it."

I must have been louder that I meant to be, because the manager came
over to inquire if everything was all right. "Yes, thank you," I
replied.
Then, turning back to the women, I said, "Enjoy the rest of your meal."

As I returned to my booth applause broke out. I was embarrassed for
making a scene, and went back to my half eaten steak. The women picked
up
their check and scurried away.

After finishing my meal, and while waiting for my check, the manager
returned with a huge apple cobbler ala mode. "Compliments of those
soldiers," he said. He also smiled and said the ladies tried to pay
for my dinner, but that another couple had beaten them to it. When I
asked who, the manager said they had already left, but that the
gentleman
was a veteran, and wanted to take care of the wife of "one of our boys."

With a lump in my throat, I gratefully turned to the soldiers and
thanked them for the cobbler. Grinning from ear to ear, they came over
and surrounded the booth. "We just wanted to thank you, ma'am. You know
we can't get into confrontations with civilians, so we appreciate what
you did."

As I drove home, for the first time since my husband's deployment, I
didn't feel quite so alone. My heart was filled with the warmth of the
other diners who stopped by my table, to relate how they, too,
were proud of my husband, and would keep him in their prayers.
I knew their flags would fly a little higher the next day.

Perhaps they would look for more tangible ways to show their
pride in our country, and the military who protect her. And maybe, just
maybe, the two women who were railing against our country,
would pause for a minute to appreciate all the freedom America offers,
and the price it pays to maintain it's freedom.

As for me, I have learned that one voice CAN make a difference. Maybe
the next time protesters gather outside the gates of the base where I
live, I will proudly stand on the opposite side with a sign of my own.
It will simply say, "Thank You!"

To those who fought for our Nation: Freedom has a flavor the protected
will never know. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Please pray for God's protection of our troops and HIS
wisdom for their commanders. Pass this on to as many
as you think will respond. "Lord, hold our troops in your loving
hands. Protect them as they protect us.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us,
in our time of need.
I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior."

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for
our ground, air and navy personnel in every area of the middle east.
There is nothing attached.... This can be very powerful....
Just send this to all the people in your address book.

Do not stop this prayer chain, please.... Of all the gifts you could
give to anyone in the US Military, be it Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines
or National Guard, Prayer is the very best one.....Amen!

good post....... But this post is one of those patriotism kinds.....get all swelled up for our country and not think of others. Iraq is the war of Oil, Hunt for WMD, Bush's Revenge, and Boost Bush's Popularity. I am sure those girls thought SHE was the crazy one.... She is wrong (the wife) how does fighting Iraq help protect our "freedom"? AFGHANISTAN (and among other nutty countries like Iran, Syria, N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, Yemen (THEY are the resulting cause of the USS Cole explosions). is the country to fight to protect our "freedom". AFGHANISTAN is the ones who sent cowards to utilize planes into buildings. AFGHANISTAN is the ones who blew up the trains in Spain. AFGHANISTAN are the ones behind terrorist attacks in Morrocco, Saudi Arabia, and that small island in Indonesia. AFGHANISTAN is behind the recently failed attacksi in Jordan..... Who is the man behind these results? His name is Osama bin Laden (no, not Saddam Hussein.....Osama bin Laden). What has Iraq done? nothing.... No evidence had proven that Iraq has conduct any terrorist attacks until recent times (against our troops in Fallujah, Najaf, etc.....). Saddam may have been an ASSHOLE but he wasn't no fool... he is not gutsy enough to attack an well to do country like USA, Canada, or UK........ He would be the stupidest person if he did....
BTW, how would the soldiers know which war she (the wife) was talking about? Iraq or Afghanistan? For all I know her message sounds like its related to the REAL war on teror...Afghanistan.....the terrorist network itself...... She didn't say "Iraq" once to those girls so how does those soldiers know? I am sure they didn't hear what the girls said.....they were probably talking about them hehe.....
Please do me a favor....stop with the Patriotism and nationalism crap and look into the eye of reality.. That story was not an reality...the girls gave a reality....the wife gave a tone of patriotism...

greenpasture78":21f1vt8y said:
good post....... But this post is one of those patriotism kinds.....get all swelled up for our country and not think of others. Iraq is the war of Oil, Hunt for WMD, Bush's Revenge, and Boost Bush's Popularity. I am sure those girls thought SHE was the crazy one.... She is wrong (the wife) how does fighting Iraq help protect our "freedom"? AFGHANISTAN (and among other nutty countries like Iran, Syria, N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, Yemen (THEY are the resulting cause of the USS Cole explosions). is the country to fight to protect our "freedom". AFGHANISTAN is the ones who sent cowards to utilize planes into buildings. AFGHANISTAN is the ones who blew up the trains in Spain. AFGHANISTAN are the ones behind terrorist attacks in Morrocco, Saudi Arabia, and that small island in Indonesia. AFGHANISTAN is behind the recently failed attacksi in Jordan..... Who is the man behind these results? His name is Osama bin Laden (no, not Saddam Hussein.....Osama bin Laden). What has Iraq done? nothing.... No evidence had proven that Iraq has conduct any terrorist attacks until recent times (against our troops in Fallujah, Najaf, etc.....). Saddam may have been an be nice but he wasn't no fool... he is not gutsy enough to attack an well to do country like USA, Canada, or UK........ He would be the stupidest person if he did....
BTW, how would the soldiers know which war she (the wife) was talking about? Iraq or Afghanistan? For all I know her message sounds like its related to the REAL war on teror...Afghanistan.....the terrorist network itself...... She didn't say "Iraq" once to those girls so how does those soldiers know? I am sure they didn't hear what the girls said.....they were probably talking about them hehe.....
Please do me a favor....stop with the Patriotism and nationalism be nice and look into the eye of reality.. That story was not an reality...the girls gave a reality....the wife gave a tone of patriotism...

Here we go again on the oil ignorance being as only one of the top three majors is American, Exxon/Mobil. The American Oil industry fell apart under Slick Willy. I guess the rest of the oil is for Royal Dutch Shell or BP. You liberals that believe oil is the driving force you need to go to your local ACE harware and see if they have a head puller.

I hate to wade into these things, however,

You know "Greenpasture" that the grass is often greener because it is over the septic tank!

We mere mortals don't know everything - we get our information from a bias media and a from the Gov't that tells us only what they feel we need to know.

But to stand around and call our military "baby killers" (unfounded residual from Vietnam) and state the the war is all about oil (why then has fuel prices gone sky high) demonstrates pure ignorance!

Oh well, I've said too much, but not enough. Appreciate your freedoms and be thankful.

Alex

CircleA":cvt8ypms said:
I hate to wade into these things, however,

You know "Greenpasture" that the grass is often greener because it is over the septic tank!

We mere mortals don't know everything - we get our information from a bias media and a from the Gov't that tells us only what they feel we need to know.

But to stand around and call our military "baby killers" (unfounded residual from Vietnam) and state the the war is all about oil (why then has fuel prices gone sky high) demonstrates pure ignorance!

Oh well, I've said too much, but not enough. Appreciate your freedoms and be thankful.

Alex

Amen

The liberals can be thankful for the CONSERVATIVES.
This country would go to hell in a handbasket if not for the CONSERVATIVES.

greenpasture78":3mek4tdj said:
good post....... But this post is one of those patriotism kinds.....get all swelled up for our country and not think of others. Iraq is the war of Oil, Hunt for WMD, Bush's Revenge, and Boost Bush's Popularity. I am sure those girls thought SHE was the crazy one.... She is wrong (the wife) how does fighting Iraq help protect our "freedom"? AFGHANISTAN (and among other nutty countries like Iran, Syria, N. Korea, Saudi Arabia, Yemen (THEY are the resulting cause of the USS Cole explosions). is the country to fight to protect our "freedom". AFGHANISTAN is the ones who sent cowards to utilize planes into buildings. AFGHANISTAN is the ones who blew up the trains in Spain. AFGHANISTAN are the ones behind terrorist attacks in Morrocco, Saudi Arabia, and that small island in Indonesia. AFGHANISTAN is behind the recently failed attacksi in Jordan..... Who is the man behind these results? His name is Osama bin Laden (no, not Saddam Hussein.....Osama bin Laden). What has Iraq done? nothing.... No evidence had proven that Iraq has conduct any terrorist attacks until recent times (against our troops in Fallujah, Najaf, etc.....). Saddam may have been an be nice but he wasn't no fool... he is not gutsy enough to attack an well to do country like USA, Canada, or UK........ He would be the stupidest person if he did....
Please do me a favor....stop with the Patriotism and nationalism be nice and look into the eye of reality.. That story was not an reality...the girls gave a reality....the wife gave a tone of patriotism...

I don't have any relatives over there, but I have relatives that fought other wars. Seems like the soldiers and veterans (those who actually do the fighting) are smart enough to know better than to let the mistakes of our past arise against us again. Some at home know better and would rather sit back and wait like we did with Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

greenpasture78":2dr2k09h said:
Iraq is the war of Oil

Oil? This war is about oil? Sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out what the problem with that is. If some group figured out how to cut off your oxygen would you fight for it? Like it or not, oil is oxygen to our economy and way of life. This is oil which we discovered for them. Until we came along they were just a bunch of illiterate flea-bitten bedouins who didn't understand basic hygiene. Not only did we discover it for them, we developed an infrastructure for them and taught them how to recover it on their own and sell it to us for nine prices. Thanks to our investment and brains they are now some of the wealthiest nations on earth. That's more than fair. And we've been OK with it.

However, if certain groups of people can't find a way to be satisfied with trading their oil for obscene wealth, but still find it necessary to murder our people and destroy our culture to feel good about themselves, then yeah, let's get it on. There are several completely legitimate reasons for us to be over there kicking but. Oil is one of them.

Craig-TX

Have you check the sudden rise in gas prices? Take the sudden rise of gas prices with sudden rise of Bush's campaign money...see the connection? No you do but I do.....
We may be one of the wealthiest country in the world but we are also one of the fastest counry to LOSE money....as long Bush is President and draining our money into bunch of rock and sand the Iraqi call home....
These people can drill their own oil wells and use their own oil for their cars.... We can drill our own wells in America and use it into our own cars...seems fair..but nooooooooooo.....greed for greens.... Oh can't drill oil out of Alaska because of the enviro-freaks....lame excuse.. Same rules for CA. TX is the next victim of falling into the hands of enviro-freaks.....why is that? M O N E Y!!!! The only thing on politicians' mind is M O N E Y and P O W E R....they (most do) couldn't care if the roof of a school is falling down or they care about the falling cattle prices..... They are after anything that means BIG CASH and LOTS OF IT!
Guess what Bush is doing to his oil royalities he has collected from the MIDDLE EAST (if you don't understand Geography, Iraq is in the MIDDLE EAST). Give up? He is using the money to clean the freaking OCEAN!!! What a waste... Can't he do something right for ONCE?!? Use the darn money to invest in EDUCATION or MEDICINE or something useful then cleaning the da.. Ocean!
I am not a tree hugger... nor called abortioners "baby killers" I believe women has the rights to abort a baby...especially those down harden druggies.....
Are our military "baby killers"? Sure we all make mistakes..all military forces makes mistakes... H... I couldn't care less if they have a plan to exterminate all ragheads...the ragheads hates us we hate them. Since we are more fit to survive and they aren't....lets exterminate the pesky rats from our beloved earth...... We could use the extra room and ozygen to people who aren't so hateful and enjoy freedom.....
Now do I sound liberal to you?

greenpasture78":3sjewipo said:
Now do I sound liberal to you?

No comment. I'm already kicking myself for using up five minutes of my one precious life to articulate the above response.

Craig-TX

Oregonian, how is Eric?
You are a fool. You should move to a different country.I'm just hoping the woman's story is true. I'm just hoping I can get the chance to defend our troops just like her.

Ask Oregonian, don't ask me....I am not the one who is queer.
Uneducated? No. I am a realist. I see the world in reality... If you don't live in reality, you are living the life as an ignorant. I have seen both sides of the stories....what I said are REAL. Are you denying about Bush's oil royalites plan?

OH one good thing has come out of Iraq....more teachers are getting hired rather than getting executed or fired.. 416,000 teachers plus 100,000 more are going back to schools to teach the kids (probably with Bush picture in every wall because HE thinks he is God). That is about the only good news that the war has benefited...

greenpasture78":3nctb1ve said:
Ask Oregonian, don't ask me....I am not the one who is queer.
Uneducated? No. I am a realist. I see the world in reality... If you don't live in reality, you are living the life as an ignorant. I have seen both sides of the stories....what I said are REAL. Are you denying about Bush's oil royalites plan?

OH one good thing has come out of Iraq....more teachers are getting hired rather than getting executed or fired.. 416,000 teachers plus 100,000 more are going back to schools to teach the kids (probably with Bush picture in every wall because HE thinks he is God). That is about the only good news that the war has benefited...

You are so full of **** the flys probaly won't come around you.

Greenpasture (who I think is Oregano logged in under another name)
First, oil is traded on the global market. To suppose that one man in a country that represents only 5% of the world population could dictate oil prices worldwide is absurd.
Although I'd have to check with Campground, I don't think America supplies enough oil and gas to be get by without importing from other countries.
Second, I have children and someday hope to have grandchildren, sustainable development is important to leave them in an environment where they can still live and breathe. You talk about putting money into medicine, but a clean environment keeps the whole population healthier.
Third, war years are always boom years because the government is spending its money in the private sector creating work for people who would otherwise be unemployed. If you think your economy sucks now, you should see what it would be like if you weren't at war.
The other thing that people seem to forget is that this is a war on terrorism, not any specific country. No country can be ruled out, if they are harboring terrorists, these terrorists need to be ferreted out.

ollie":24r0g8ww said:
Oregonian, how is Eric?
You are a fool. You should move to a different country.I'm just hoping the woman's story is true. I'm just hoping I can get the chance to defend our troops just like her.

Ollie, this is the 3rd time you have dragged my name up in posts, whats your problem. Son, I don't recall ever meeting you, and I do remember when I meet an idiot. If you have a problem with me, then please email me and we can straighten it out right away, otherwise leave me out of your stupid responses and get back to school!

I didn't know that when oregonian refered to his girlfriend/boyfriend named eric he was refering to you but it is sure nice to meet you.

ollie":2mnm7b8d said:
I didn't know that when oregonian refered to his girlfriend/boyfriend named eric he was refering to you but it is sure nice to meet you.

ollie,

i think what got the whole thing started w/eric being called oregonian's girlfriend is that someone pretended to be oregonian in a post & said that eric was his girlfriend/boyfriend because eric had been posting in support of kerry & against bush. i doubt if it was really oregonian but someone being malicious & pretending to be him.

Latest posts