another sick calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

.One can only do so much with what he's got. Everyone was riding me to get a vet and some banamine, so I took the vet advice, thats what he went to school for 8 years for. Now it's ls-200 still isn't going to cut it we told you so. I didn't give them the real milk replacer, I doubled the soy product, but if you read this it didn't matter anyway cause they didn't eat it. I'm not as ignorant as everyone is putting me out to be. That little one has been sicly and coughing since day one. I gave it pen. when it got bad. I didn't know any better. Now I'm going to seek out some nuflor taday, hindsight tell me I should have gave them both a shot of nuflor the day I brought them home, or arter I noticed the coughing. Guess I learned my lesson on that one.

The little one died last night, but the bigger one is getting better. I'm still waiting for the vet to call me back. He has to call the vet down here and o.k. it before they'll give me the nuflor. Whats the big deal ,It's just antibiotics. It would be nice to get a hold of some for next time. I'm going to make a list of the things I learned over the last couple days and post it, so hopefully someone else can learn from my mistakes One thing about the little spanking I got from baxter, it got my butt out there and do something about it instead of waiting till tomorrow, even though I should've acted sooner instead of waiting till they quit eating. Thanks for that.

Toby L.":3m7i8x2h said:
The little one died last night, but the bigger one is getting better. I'm still waiting for the vet to call me back. He has to call the vet down here and o.k. it before they'll give me the nuflor. Whats the big deal ,It's just antibiotics. It would be nice to get a hold of some for next time. I'm going to make a list of the things I learned over the last couple days and post it, so hopefully someone else can learn from my mistakes One thing about the little spanking I got from baxter, it got my butt out there and do something about it instead of waiting till tomorrow, even though I should've acted sooner instead of waiting till they quit eating. Thanks for that.

The higher powered antibiotics are only available through a vet. That's a big share of the reason the stuff like pen and LA aren;t effective much anymore. Ol Joe Dokes goes to hil local feed store and can buy the stuff cheap over the counter so it gets used for too many things and way too much. Tylan got into that smae category about 20 years ago and now I don;t know of anyone that uses it.

dun":3cyt7phw said:
Toby L.":3cyt7phw said:

The higher powered antibiotics are only available through a vet. That's a big share of the reason the stuff like pen and LA aren;t effective much anymore. Ol Joe Dokes goes to hil local feed store and can buy the stuff cheap over the counter so it gets used for too many things and way too much. Tylan got into that smae category about 20 years ago and now I don;t know of anyone that uses it.

NuFlor has joined that group for me. I bought some calves at the salebarn this year to feed with mine and ended up going almost completely through the drugstore. Started with LA-200 at arrival as a preemptive strike on healthy calves. Next, went to Baytril. That worked on some, not so well on others. Used NuFlor on the ones I had to retreat.....nothing. Finally coughed it up and bought Draxxin...100% effective. IF I ever do this again, Draxxin will be my first choice, not my last. I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but the dosage was smaller, it was much easier to syringe, and it worked much better. BTW, I was also using Flunixin the entire time. Luckily, the calves were cheap and I still have a small chance of making money.

Latest posts