another sick calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

This is a tough road when the calf is sick so early on. I raised bottle calves for years, and ones that were "chronically" sick never ended up doing well. I know you're doing everything you possibly can, but unfortunately some just never respond well.

Having said that.. it definately sounds like pnuemonia. He's in distress trying to nurse because he's having trouble breathing. When they are easy to tube and give shots to, you know they aren't feeling well.

I would agressively treat for pnuemonia.. you have to take one treatment method and stick with it for 3 to 5 days to see what is going to work on whatever he's got. I would think if he was going to respond to the Draxxin, you would have seen a remarkable change already. I would also try the Baytril, as I have had good luck with it in the past. You can either give it daily or every three days.. but you should see a significant difference in the first 24 to 48 hours if it's going to be affective.

I can't remember the length of time for Banamine.. seems like 5 days? Milkmaid will know! The Banamine is only good for pain and fever.. you still need to find the right drug to help fight the pnemonia.

Best of luck to you!

I was talking to a vet friend of mine last night and she mentioned that there are serious issues with using "Baytril" in food animals? I have been riding the herd looking for pneumonia with all the warm/cold/wet days we are having. I have some Nuflor and LA-200 on hand but was hearing lots of good stuff about Baytril. Now I hear don't use it on beef cattle? I don't get it. :?:

Read the label. Baytril is fine for beef animals. Technically it also ought to be fine for dairy animals as well (equivalent meat withdrawals, milk withdrawals always shorter than meat).... however, if someone is caught using Baytril on dairy heifers/cows they'll be drawn, quartered, and hung up to dry. :lol: The government doesn't like Baytril in dairy animals.

The issue, last I heard, is that Baytril can cause problems with developing joints and cartiledge (sp?)... an issue I wouldn't worry about when you're using it on calves. They have over a year to clear it entirely from their system (and it only has a 30 day withdrawal anyway) so it shouldn't even be a concern.

My bottle boy did this, fine one day, not the next. 2 steps forward 4 steps back. It took 14 shots of banamine, 2 of Nuflor & Draxxin(sp). Tube fed for 5 days, and on nutritional replacement, 2 tubes of probios, several shots of b-complex, couple dozen eggs & a bottle of pepto.

He did come around he is almost 40 days old and full of himself. Eating 2 quarts of starter a day & 2 pats of high quality hay along with grazing.

Learned more about cows in 7 days than I ever thought I would in my life.

Good luck

Update: last couple days I started loosing hope and energy. the calf just layed around..and for a couple of days I did not even see him get up. On Tuesday, I saw the cow walk over him and he nursed in the laying down position...if I hadn't seen it i wouldn't have believed it.

Wed was 3rd day of Baytril, and I started banamine (again) yesterday. Today calf was up in am, and in the pm when there..standing more that I have seen!!. had to chase him to get temp today..and it was a chore :banana: . he looks at me with that look (what are you going to do now :shock: :eek: ). temp still over 103, but the spirit is back, hoping it stays.

this calf is 15 days old...1 draxxin shot, 3 baytril shots and 4 banamine shots...hope there will not be many more. I read about the baytril and didn't get the impression it was bad for beef, hope not cz if he makes it he'll be dinner in a year+. thanks to everyone who gave advise and support...appreciate it. donna

Noticed TBL's comment.... offhand I'm not sure about Banamine. I've used it up to 5 days on animals following surgery, so I know it's fine for that amount of time. IMO, if you felt the need to go more than 5 days on a sick calf, the rest of the treatment program needs to be evaluated. The antibiotics should kick the bug within a day or two so that there's no need to keep giving Banamine as pain relief/anti-inflammatory.

milkmaid":2sig7otq said:
Noticed TBL's comment.... offhand I'm not sure about Banamine. I've used it up to 5 days on animals following surgery, so I know it's fine for that amount of time. IMO, if you felt the need to go more than 5 days on a sick calf, the rest of the treatment program needs to be evaluated. The antibiotics should kick the bug within a day or two so that there's no need to keep giving Banamine as pain relief/anti-inflammatory.

Correct the bottle says 5 days, the insert said they had even used up to 9 days in a study. I gave 2 shots after the draxxin, and then in a effort to get him up gave him 2 shots after the baytril. My concerns have been the fever, panting and heavy breathing, and him just laying down, not standing/walking often and looking like in pain when walking.

I even started second guessing myself and thnking maybe it was navel ill, have examined/cleaned the navel area and it looks okay--not hot, no puss. The calf has been outside and we have had an extremely wet/muddy spring (think it has rained 10 of the last 14 days), so that is still in the back of my mind.

As of yesterday the panting/heavy breathing stopped and he was getting around good. Wed morning fever was 103.1, Thur evening was 103.8, now if that would just go down. I actually thought maybe the fever spikes in the evening. I read on another post 103 was not that extremely high for young calf. If he is up today I plan on stopping the banamine and if doesnt continue to improve off to the vet we will go. Thanks for your help MM. donna

Hey! Glad to hear you are seeing progress! Thanks for the updates, I sure hope he continues to improve. I also hope you find a new vet. :nod:

Great News today...the calf is up and trying to run and buck...following his momma and calling for her, chewing cud and well i could not have been more pleased, expecially since we had waves of thunderstorms last night. today i did not get a temperature, hope i won't have to again 8)

Latest posts