Another show another good day

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
I went out a did some custom fitting at a multibreed bull sale had a pretty good day fitting - grand chamion in two different breeds, 5- division champions in three breeds and 9 - 1st or 2nd in classes out of 11 head i was fitting the other two were third in class. Two different judges and i never entered the show ring. Darn near every animal had a different person on the halter. So it wasn't politics. All my customers were very happy none of the cattle i fitted sold under $3700 with 3 left to go. It will be intersting to see how the last 3 do, as some people said they shouldn't be allowed at the sale, but that was before i clipped them and then fitted them to a division or res.division championship. Those guys looked like such idiots when these cattle kicked their butts. It will be proved if they don't pass at the sale? LMAO

You're braggin about someone else's cattle winning? That you had very little to do with(you fit them...you dont breed, feed and show)? Even a really nicly fit ugly heifer can lose, or a bad fit on a good heifer can win. Your braggin..Just doesnt make sense to me...

But, I will comend you. Fitting is an art and the best separate themselves from the rest. Congrats on the wins. Im sure some owners are very thankfull for your skills.

If you were fitting cattle for a living, then you would be proud of preparing a champion too. There is a lot of work that goes into fitting an animal, and while here in Australia our fitting jobs aren't anywhere near as involved as yours, a lot of fitters over here also break in, feed and prepare the animal before it gets to the show. So yes, there is a lot of work put into fitting an animal for the show ring, and a lot of pride in seeing that animal you have worked on take out a champion.

Good on ya skcatlman, congrats.

K45 all of the cattle came to the show unclipped. Very little to do with the win. Don't make me laugh. Go to a show this time of year when cattle have tons of hair and don't clip or fit and see how many championships you take home. Darn right i'm proud of how well the cattle i fitted did. I took 3 strings from 3 different breeds i didn't pick the cattle. I had to make silk purses. The owners had nothing but praise they not only booked me for next year and put down a deposit. New potential customers were talking to me trying to get things lined up for shows & sales coming up soon. I know a couple of division winners had no business winning, all you had to do is see them wet and then how the same animal looked winning a division championship and you would know i had a great deal to do with the wins. I amazes me how little some people think a fit has to do with a win at a show. Unless it is a 4-H show or a political win. The fit does make a huge difference, i have seen and bought poorly fit cattle then taken them out later with a better prep and they kicked a$$. I am proud of how the cattle i fitted did as i was part of a team that won. I guess it is like saying i was part of a couple of championship teams. And that just because you played in and won the championship in a sport you didn't really do it because you had help from your team mates. As you can tell it is like putting a burr in my britches when people disregaurd the importance of putting a good fit on an animal at a show.

skcatlman":2auntf29 said:
K45 all of the cattle came to the show unclipped. Very little to do with the win. Don't make me laugh.

ok, did not mean to offend you. I apologize. But I still stand by my post. And yes...I DO know the importance of a good clip/fit. and Yes, I have been to shows this time of year. Dont get me wrong, I really understand how much it makes a difference. But not always, and thats what Im saying. I have seen more than a few pretty little fitted up heifers that walked in the show ring and placed last or close to it. I have also seen some heifers led by a person that doesnt know what adjesive is, and they win it.

Again I will say. I commend you on your ability to fit a champion. Congrats on the wins. Sounds like you have a good, solid line of costomers looking forward to your skills. Best of Luck.

" all you had to do is see them wet and then how the same animal looked winning a division championship and you would know i had a great deal to do with the wins."- and this quote is where I commend you the most. It takes skill to do that. and (lucky for the owners/showmen) you have it. Congrats.

taking pride in the animals you fitted (and not own) tells me a lot more good than bad about your work ethics, well done!

sk - you must be in the "younger" set. That is gruelling work. Congrats. Sometimes I wish we had the ability to do that "finish" fit job.
We mostly do our work at home & than blow & show. But, a well fit animal sure looks sweet.

Thanks for the complement but i have been doing this for quite a while. I came thru the 4-H program and fitting paid my way thru university. But if you want to learn anyone can get fairly good at it. I have spent alot of time doing it and am always learning and doing new things. The day i think i know it all i will hang up my clippers. If you train and work the hair properly the battle is half won. Then it is a matter knowing what you want the animal to look like when done and getting it there. That is the fun part. Personally i see it as getting paid to do something i really enjoy. I really get a kick out of seeing kids who have worked for/with me get out and do really well on their own. Every young person who worked with me, wanted to learn and was really interested has turned out and become a quality fitter. I think it is partially because i make the work fun and then they see it as i do. Nothing i hate more than seeing adults force kids to so something the don't like doing. They are doomed for failure.

You are sooo right. We work with 4-H kids a lot. We are pretty fair clippers (hubby & I make a team) ourselves, so we guide them. None of them will learn a thing if they don't go home & PRACTICE PRACTICE!
We just don't do all the glueing - too old to be crawling around on our knees just prior to a show. We do hire it done when it's a real important win - like when we had Macho (our bull) on the road.

Latest posts