Another Shooting out west,

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":2bqjzlmt said:
Caustic Burno":2bqjzlmt said:
JMJ Farms":2bqjzlmt said:
Only way to deter them is for everyone to be armed. An equal playing field so to speak. But this method has serious consequences as well. Look back at the Wild Wild West. May even lead to more killings. But it would lead to fewer MASS killings for sure. Provided one could shoot straight.

I do know one thing for sure. Most all "predators" would be less trigger happy if the "prey" they were targeting was capable of "killing them back".

Yes I know that's not proper English.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
Benjamin Franklin

From Attention Deficit Democracy (Palgrave, 2006) [12]

Rather than a democracy, we increasingly have an elective dictatorship. People are merely permitted to choose who will violate the laws and the Constitution.

Instead of revealing the "will of the people," election results are often only a one-day snapshot of transient mass delusions.

Bogus fears can produce real servitude.

As long as rulers are above the law, citizens have the same type of freedom that slaves had on days when their masters chose not to beat them.

Democracy unleashes the State in the name of the people.

The more that democracy is assumed to be inevitable, the more likely it will self-destruct.

Attention Deficit Democracy produces the attitudes, ignorance and arrogance that pave the way to political collapse.

Yes. We are a Republic but Palgrave is spot on. With the power the parties now have over the process it is essentially a mafia-style Republic.

Always has been Raven.
Heck check out the Hamilton-Burr confrontation. Our politicians were killing each other. The change is a 24 News cycle feeding propaganda to what ever side of the fence you reside.

Caustic Burno":2o41iq3a said:
Always has been Raven.
Heck check out the Hamilton-Burr confrontation. Our politicians were killing each other. The change is a 24 News cycle feeding propaganda to what ever side of the fence you reside.

Oh, I remember that from grade school. You are correct. I guess we forget how those guys took their differences outside and settled them by duel.

Bright Raven":2cejzkh9 said:
Ryder":2cejzkh9 said:
Bright Raven":2cejzkh9 said:
I read about that. If I read it right, it would not have mattered whether he was armed. He was hit in the head by two fans of LSU. They were fatal blows.

I am 100 % for self defense using a firearm but just like so many defensive shooters know, the guy who hits first wins 99 % of the time regardless of other defenses.
You miss the point. He probably was not armed and being armed does not insure your safety.
I was trying to point out that that "taking a beating" is not as benign as some seem to think.
Another case I know of was a news reporter being badly beaten and was unable to work again
and had to be physically taken care of the rest of his life.
As I tried to point out when this subject came up before, adult fighting is not like two little fourth grade boys squabbling over a game of marbles.
It is foolish to think someone should just of taken a whipping.

To shift gears a little, maybe to outlaw football is the solution. :D

Gotcha. Thanks.

I agree. A beating is not something I will.take if I can stop it.

Seems I read on here you had a beating headed your way from down south somewhere...but a T-post sized hole looks to have saved your bacon :lol2:
...or the fact the feller ain't never leaving Texas.

bball":1nhioo2f said:
Bright Raven":1nhioo2f said:
Ryder":1nhioo2f said:
You miss the point. He probably was not armed and being armed does not insure your safety.
I was trying to point out that that "taking a beating" is not as benign as some seem to think.
Another case I know of was a news reporter being badly beaten and was unable to work again
and had to be physically taken care of the rest of his life.
As I tried to point out when this subject came up before, adult fighting is not like two little fourth grade boys squabbling over a game of marbles.
It is foolish to think someone should just of taken a whipping.

To shift gears a little, maybe to outlaw football is the solution. :D

Gotcha. Thanks.

I agree. A beating is not something I will.take if I can stop it.

Seems I read on here you had a beating headed your way from down south somewhere...but a T-post sized hole looks to have saved your bacon :lol2:
...or the fact the feller ain't never leaving Texas.

I don't think he has left Texas since he was a teen. I am safe unless I go to Texas.

Guns will never be controlled by background checks to many guns that are exchanged between individuals to know who and how many someone owns. Only guns bought with a background are the ones that are sold legally. I do have guns and not shot any in years and years. One reason ammo to expensive. I did buy twenty rounds of 30-30 last year. Over thirty dollars at Atwood's. The older box I had that still had a few rounds was bought for $5.75 years ago.

hurleyjd":2lb6eglb said:
Guns will never be controlled by background checks to many guns that are exchanged between individuals to know who and how many someone owns. Only guns bought with a background are the ones that are sold legally. I do have guns and not shot any in years and years. One reason ammo to expensive. I did buy twenty rounds of 30-30 last year. Over thirty dollars at Atwood's. The older box I had that still had a few rounds was bought for $5.75 years ago.

You don't an Academy? Heck you can buy the good stuff Hornady American Whitetail or Federal Fusion for 17 to 18 dollars a box.

Caustic Burno":1ew74yms said:
hurleyjd":1ew74yms said:

You don't an Academy? Heck you can buy the good stuff Hornady American Whitetail or Federal Fusion for 17 to 18 dollars a box.
He'd have to drive a ways to find an Academy. Maybe Sulfur Springs has one .. probably Tyler tho. 50 miles one way.
Lots of places, incl Cleveland Tx, don't have Academy and I wasn't aware that Livingston, Jasper or Woodville had one. Beaumont for you?
Closest one to me is New Caney or Conroe and the one in New Caney really sucks both in their content and their employees.

Caustic Burno":3j6hfpjj said:
hurleyjd":3j6hfpjj said:

Time I drive to the nearest Academy the cost for fuel would be around $12.00 so I would be out right at $30.00 to go there all are out of my travels any way. I go by Atwoods each time I am in town. The only ones to be found in Sulphur Springs at the time. I believe the brand was Fiocchi looks like academy has them for around 18.00 dollars academy according to the on line info is around $27.00 for the Hornady would be the cost today. I just looked at the box that I bought in 1958 and it was $5.75 from Target in Greenville Texas Winchester was the brand. At the time no 22 long rifle available anywhere when I bought the 30-30 ammo at Atwoods.

I wonder if you go back in the history of many of these shooters you'd find they've been on ADD meds and such since they were little. I see so much of that in the young people around here. They are given a pill for anything and everything growing up then no one can understand when the kid is bigger and self medicating with drugs from the street of from the local legal drug dealer with a medical license.

hurleyjd":w63attmi said:
Caustic Burno":w63attmi said:
hurleyjd":w63attmi said:

Time I drive to the nearest Academy the cost for fuel would be around $12.00 so I would be out right at $30.00 to go there all are out of my travels any way. I go by Atwoods each time I am in town. The only ones to be found in Sulphur Springs at the time. I believe the brand was Fiocchi looks like academy has them for around 18.00 dollars academy according to the on line info is around $27.00 for the Hornady would be the cost today. I just looked at the box that I bought in 1958 and it was $5.75 from Target in Greenville Texas Winchester was the brand. At the time no 22 long rifle available anywhere when I bought the 30-30 ammo at Atwoods.

I have a 32-40 the parent cartridge of the 30-30 across my lap right now in a deer stand. If I didn't reload it would hurt to pull the trigger. Factory loads are about four bucks a squeeze.

OleScout":2fzf5afs said:
I wonder if you go back in the history of many of these shooters you'd find they've been on ADD meds and such since they were little. I see so much of that in the young people around here. They are given a pill for anything and everything growing up then no one can understand when the kid is bigger and self medicating with drugs from the street of from the local legal drug dealer with a medical license.

I couldn't agree more.

They will never be able to take our guns. It would be an all out war. I think they will try to attack from the angle of ammunition, gunpowder, reloading supplies, etc. Thereby reducing guns to expensive clubs.

JMJ Farms":2bxu52vg said:
They will never be able to take our guns. It would be an all out war. I think they will try to attack from the angle of ammunition, gunpowder, reloading supplies, etc. Thereby reducing guns to expensive clubs.

The advancement of technology and the change in philosophy will all but render firearms obsolete(pure speculation).

Caustic Burno":1e0087y6 said:
Mass killing is nothing new.
Check out Bath Michigan it is still our worst school killing over ninety years ago.
The 24 news cycle is new.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180963355/

I've often thought along the same lines. I remember when the Columbine shooting happened, one would have thought it was the first school shooting in our country's history by the coverage.

I think back to my grandparents younger lives when they didn't have a tv and CNN. About all they knew was their community and small town where everything was peachy. As years passed and they did get tv and started to hear about shootings and all the bad things, they thought the world was coming to an end.

That doesn't make any of it any better, but it's nothing new.

Latest posts