Another Shooting out west,

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
When I turned the old computer on this morning there was a store about a shooting in a California bar. 12 people were killed by a gunmen. When will this end seems someone needs to kill for some reason or another

There seems to be a lot of escalated emotion about things that really don't matter. Everyone is offended about everything.

Even me. Right here in this forum. Disgusted about lies told. There was nothing to be gained by telling lies, but they were told. Why ? Makes no sense. People do it.

Then you put out a fact and someone says you're not telling it like it was.

Macon puts a hold on subject matter for good reason.

We got a couple of people going at it on FB right now that don't even know each other. They're ready to fight it out. Over a local school board election that neither person really has a stake in. They're arguing and fighting and pulling other people in.

At some point wisdom needs to kick in. Getting your self killed over an opinion on a keyboard just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Turnthatcowloosemaw has been gone a long time as well as his 24 other identities that have been banned from here. People like that are out there. They're not worth going to prison for.

backhoeboogie":3dgthldo said:
At some point wisdom needs to kick in. Getting your self killed over an opinion on a keyboard just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Turnthatcowloosemaw has been gone a long time as well as his 24 other identities that have been banned from here. People like that are out there. They're not worth going to prison for.

There have been people killed for passing gas. It occurred in northern Kentucky many years ago. Two guys working in nasty close quarters. One passed gas and the other guy killed him with a pipe wrench.

People don't need an excuse to kill. They just do it. IMO, it has to be a mental flaw.

In the news that a man died in SE La after two men beat him.
Seems the problem behind it was that they were loyal to different college football teams.
Reminds me of posts on here that some took physical fights to be trivial and it was wrong to use a firearm to protect yourself.
At least he didn't use a gun to protect himself against physical attack. He died instead!

Ryder":1ysxsjsz said:
Seems the problem behind it was that they were loyal to different college football teams.
Reminds me of posts on here that some took physical fights to be trivial and it was wrong to use a firearm to protect yourself.
At least he didn't use a gun to protect himself against physical attack. He died instead!

I read about that. If I read it right, it would not have mattered whether he was armed. He was hit in the head by two fans of LSU. They were fatal blows.

I am 100 % for self defense using a firearm but just like so many defensive shooters know, the guy who hits first wins 99 % of the time regardless of other defenses.

76 Bar":2saedrnq said:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-bar-gunman-identified-as-29-year-old-everything-we-know-so-far
Yet another troubled person. All the more disturbing that he was a veteran and possibly suffered from mismanaged PTSD. :cry2:

These killing are taking a toll. Gun control and the sanctity of the 2nd Amendment is going to be tackled at some point. These killings are not going to stop. There are too many mentally ill people who have access to an arsenal. It is somewhat political suicide to tackle the problem. I guess we can all pretend its "just a movie".

There's no easy solution to the gun problem. Supposedly there was 5 off duty cops at the night club all unarmed. None confronted the killer even though eye witnesses said it took the shooter 6+ seconds to reload between shooting episodes. After this last election I've determined that the majority of city people are stupid and feel it's the government's job to provide and protect them. They can out vote me but I sure don't want them to out gun me.

There are two common ingredients to all of these mass killings:

1. Guns
2. Mentally ill shooters

Somewhere in that combo - is where a deterrent might be improvised. It is preposterous to assume any action will stop mass killings.

Caustic Burno":1kao7dnb said:
Cain slew Able has been going on from the beginning and will continue to the end.

I don't think you can stop it in a free society. We need to have a better system of dealing with mental illness and their access to firearms. That is a very TALL order.

Bright Raven":3u7s5pke said:
Caustic Burno":3u7s5pke said:
Cain slew Able has been going on from the beginning and will continue to the end.

I don't think you can stop it in a free society. We need to have a better system of dealing with mental illness and their access to firearms. That is a very TALL order.

Your building air castles.
Freedom is not free nor neat it's messy.
"He who gives his freedom for safety gets none of them." Thomas Jefferson

Caustic Burno":1i6zr22k said:
Bright Raven":1i6zr22k said:
Caustic Burno":1i6zr22k said:

Your building air castles.
Freedom is not free nor neat it's messy.
"He who gives his freedom for safety gets none of them." Thomas Jefferson

Point taken. That is a very insightful observation by Jefferson. It still doesn't preclude doing whatever can be to deter mass killings.

Only way to deter them is for everyone to be armed. An equal playing field so to speak. But this method has serious consequences as well. Look back at the Wild Wild West. May even lead to more killings. But it would lead to fewer MASS killings for sure. Provided one could shoot straight.

I do know one thing for sure. Most all "predators" would be less trigger happy if the "prey" they were targeting was capable of "killing them back".

Yes I know that's not proper English.

JMJ Farms":299e57mq said:
Only way to deter them is for everyone to be armed. An equal playing field so to speak. But this method has serious consequences as well. Look back at the Wild Wild West. May even lead to more killings. But it would lead to fewer MASS killings for sure. Provided one could shoot straight.

I do know one thing for sure. Most all "predators" would be less trigger happy if the "prey" they were targeting was capable of "killing them back".

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
Benjamin Franklin

Bright Raven":fgzm93a8 said:
Ryder":fgzm93a8 said:

I read about that. If I read it right, it would not have mattered whether he was armed. He was hit in the head by two fans of LSU. They were fatal blows.

I am 100 % for self defense using a firearm but just like so many defensive shooters know, the guy who hits first wins 99 % of the time regardless of other defenses.
You miss the point. He probably was not armed and being armed does not insure your safety.
I was trying to point out that that "taking a beating" is not as benign as some seem to think.
Another case I know of was a news reporter being badly beaten and was unable to work again
and had to be physically taken care of the rest of his life.
As I tried to point out when this subject came up before, adult fighting is not like two little fourth grade boys squabbling over a game of marbles.
It is foolish to think someone should just of taken a whipping.

To shift gears a little, maybe to outlaw football is the solution. :D

Ryder":5sdgby8g said:
Bright Raven":5sdgby8g said:
Ryder":5sdgby8g said:

You miss the point. He probably was not armed and being armed does not insure your safety.
I was trying to point out that that "taking a beating" is not as benign as some seem to think.
Another case I know of was a news reporter being badly beaten and was unable to work again
and had to be physically taken care of the rest of his life.
As I tried to point out when this subject came up before, adult fighting is not like two little fourth grade boys squabbling over a game of marbles.
It is foolish to think someone should just of taken a whipping.

To shift gears a little, maybe to outlaw football is the solution. :D

Gotcha. Thanks.

I agree. A beating is not something I will.take if I can stop it.

Caustic Burno":3l3d2oyy said:
JMJ Farms":3l3d2oyy said:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
Benjamin Franklin

From Attention Deficit Democracy (Palgrave, 2006) [12]

Rather than a democracy, we increasingly have an elective dictatorship. People are merely permitted to choose who will violate the laws and the Constitution.

Instead of revealing the "will of the people," election results are often only a one-day snapshot of transient mass delusions.

Bogus fears can produce real servitude.

As long as rulers are above the law, citizens have the same type of freedom that slaves had on days when their masters chose not to beat them.

Democracy unleashes the State in the name of the people.

The more that democracy is assumed to be inevitable, the more likely it will self-destruct.

Attention Deficit Democracy produces the attitudes, ignorance and arrogance that pave the way to political collapse.

hurleyjd":2fmyzsuj said:
Caustic Burno":2fmyzsuj said:
JMJ Farms":2fmyzsuj said:

Benjamin Franklin

From Attention Deficit Democracy (Palgrave, 2006) [12]

Rather than a democracy, we increasingly have an elective dictatorship. People are merely permitted to choose who will violate the laws and the Constitution.

Instead of revealing the "will of the people," election results are often only a one-day snapshot of transient mass delusions.

Bogus fears can produce real servitude.

As long as rulers are above the law, citizens have the same type of freedom that slaves had on days when their masters chose not to beat them.

Democracy unleashes the State in the name of the people.

The more that democracy is assumed to be inevitable, the more likely it will self-destruct.

Attention Deficit Democracy produces the attitudes, ignorance and arrogance that pave the way to political collapse.

We have never been a democracy that's a fallacy in your mind.
We are a Constitutional Republic!