Another Rye question

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy+

Reaction score
I saw an ad down here for Wrens Abruzzi Rye seed. Anyone know anything about it? It is very cheap compared to the Gulf Rye I just bought.

Come on Crowder give me the lowdown on it. :lol:

flaboy+":137r036b said:
I saw an ad down here for Wrens Abruzzi Rye seed. Anyone know anything about it? It is very cheap compared to the Gulf Rye I just bought.

Come on Crowder give me the lowdown on it. :lol:
Here it is:[Developed in 1953 in Georgia as an early winter rye with superior performance in the southeastern piedmont and coastal plains. A selection of the much older Abruzzi rye.] Rye cover crop is great for erosion control, to add organic matter, to enhance soil life and for weed suppression. Its extensive root system makes it among the best green manures for improving soil structure. It is an excellent soil renovator and pioneer crop for new fields. Rye is very good at releasing phosphorus and potassium. It also stabilizes excess soil and manure nitrogen. Rye and vetch together is one of the preferred cover crops for no-till tomato planting. This rye is also good for animal grazing; it's highly palatable and of high nutritional quality, and comes back from grazing and grows again. Wren's Abruzzi performs better in the warm winters of the southeast than other available varieties of rye. Rapid establishment and growth together with weed suppression make Wren's Abruzzi an excellent choice for certified organic growers. Sow August 1 to November 1 as a winter cover crop. Plant at 4 to 6 lbs per 1000 sq ft, or 60 to 112 lbs per acre. Pkt. (1/2 lb)

You are asking about two different kinds of grass. Abuzzi rye is a cereal crop like wheat or oats. Gulf ryegrass is a type of annual ryegrass. Both are cool season annuals, but that where similarities end. In my area we plant rye at about 100 lbs to acre and overseed with ryegrass at 25 lbs acre. Rye grows in fall (depending on moisture) and starts to mature in early March (at least here anyways). The ryegrass really kicks in March. Bynusing them both we can extend the grazing season untiol the bermuda is ready.

Thanks folks. I was just wondering if anyone had used the Abruzzi Rye. I guess for the price it is worth a shot to see what it does. Maybe I will use the Gulf rye in a couple pastures and try this stuff in a couple more just to see the difference. I saw an add for 50 pounds for $10.50. That's pretty cheap down here.

We have planted Abruzzi the past three years for rotational winter grazing and then we let it grow in April/May and bale it. As hay it had the best forage quality of all our bales this year.

It takes off rapidly in the fall, and finsihes early enough in the spring to not set back the growth of Bermuda as we have seen with annual ryegrass. It is also mor tolerant to cold than ryegrass. Agree with all Crowder listed.

Billy

Thanks Billy. That's what I wanted was word from someone who had actually used it.

I bought 48 bags this week at $9.80, another dealer wanted $14.75 Guess where I bought?

Seed is out of OK.

Billy