Another reminder to be very careful

Help Support CattleToday:

"The animal belonged to neighbor Joe Beachy.

Beachy told The Jackson Sun he warned Isbell to be careful around the bull and to summon him for help before separating the cattle."

Yea and how many cows would the neighbor's (probably undesirable) bull have bred while poor Mr. Isabell was waiting for Beachy to get there? If you drive 18 wheelers for a living there is a good chance you are going to die in one, dittoe with driving tanks, digging coal, building skyscrapers, and herding cattle; but it is a real bummer when you get killed by the lazy neighbor's out of control bull.

Brandonm22":3208iiwb said:

Beachy told The Jackson Sun he warned Isbell to be careful around the bull and to summon him for help before separating the cattle."

Yea and how many cows would the neighbor's (probably undesirable) bull have bred while poor Mr. Isabell was waiting for Beachy to get there? If you drive 18 wheelers for a living there is a good chance you are going to die in one, dittoe with driving tanks, digging coal, building skyscrapers, and herding cattle; but it is a real bummer when you get killed by the lazy neighbor's out of control bull.

I didn't see anything to merit the statement about a lazy neighbor. The way I read it, he probably borrowed the bull from the neighbor. Either way ya just gotta give yourself an escape route when workinf cattle.

Brandonm22":20cjxsyu said:

Do you really believe you have a GOOD chance of dying at the hands of one of these professions or are you being sarcastic? A good chance is at least 50% or more and I doubt very highly that any of these professions have that % mortality rate. :roll:

We obviously define "you have a good chance" differently. If I had meant to say "more than 50%" I would have said "probably" or "likely". A 5-10% chance to win the lottery is a "good chance" (reality in the lotto is ~20 million to one).

Maybe he did "borrow" the neighbor's bull. It seemed more likely to me that the bull crossed the fence and got in with Mr Isbell's cow. Mr Isbell called Mr Beachy and Beachy said he would be around to help sort the bull out. Mr Isbell got tired of waiting (and did what I would have done) and decided to do it himself. Then he got dead.......hours later and still no Mr. Beachy. Your reading is just as plausible

Brandonm22":2trlruhc said:

Where does it say that the cattle and calves being sorted belonged to Mr. Isbell? Doesn't say who's property he was on either. Does state who the bull belonged to, that is all.

Isbell had separated the calves from the rest of the herd and was trying to return the bull and cows back to the pasture when the bull attacked him.

All this tells me is who the bull belonged to and that Mr. Isbell was trying to return the cows and bull to the pasture (doesn't say who the pasture belong to) after separating out the calves. Maybe you have acess to more information that we aren't privy to. I don't know but their is very little information revealed in the story other than the tragedy.

1982vett":1n2y2fcw said:
Brandonm22":1n2y2fcw said:

Where does it say that the cattle and calves being sorted belonged to Mr. Isbell? Doesn't say who's property he was on either. Does state who the bull belonged to, that is all.

Isbell had separated the calves from the rest of the herd and was trying to return the bull and cows back to the pasture when the bull attacked him.

All this tells me is who the bull belonged to and that Mr. Isbell was trying to return the cows and bull to the pasture (doesn't say who the pasture belong to) after separating out the calves. Maybe you have acess to more information that we aren't privy to. I don't know but their is very little information revealed in the story other than the tragedy.

The first article CLEARLY said "The animal belonged to neighbor Joe Beachy.". Also the article said that Mrs Isbell found Mr Isbell dead in "their barn". Additionally "Beachy told The Jackson Sun he warned Isbell to be careful around the bull and to summon him for help before separating the cattle." Granted reporters get the details wrong all the time; but assuming the story is correct. It is Beachy's bull, Beachy knew the bull was dangerous, he knew the old man needed help to seperate the cattle and yet he did nothing. I know I am jumping to conclusions here; but if I were a trial lawyer in that state I would be talking to Mrs Isbell about possibly suing Mr Beachy.

Terrible tragedy either way.

Guess I should have cut an pasted the whole article from the first link, cause I over looked the work "their" in it more than once trying to ascertain that he was in fact on his own property or someone else's. Might would have caught it like I did while cutting, pasting and comparing both articles to defend what I read. Now the second article does give more information, but it is now the one that leaves to question who's cowlot he was in cause it uses the word "the", which is how I read the first link every time. I give up. Apologies to Brandon22 and a moment of silence for Mr. Isbell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To bad it doesn't change the outcome of the day.

1982vett":3ut4fj7p said:
Terrible tragedy either way.

Guess I should have cut an pasted the whole article from the first link, cause I over looked the work "their" in it more than once trying to ascertain that he was in fact on his own property or someone else's. Might would have caught it like I did while cutting, pasting and comparing both articles to defend what I read. Now the second article does give more information, but it is now the one that leaves to question who's cowlot he was in cause it uses the word "the", which is how I read the first link every time. I give up. Apologies to Brandon22 and a moment of silence for Mr. Isbell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To bad it doesn't change the outcome of the day.

Your integrity and respect for others have been clearly demonstrated vett..... :clap:
I admire your effort to clear the air with consideration for other board member views. Wish everyone could follow your example.

Clearly our thoughts and prayers should be with the family and friends who lost their loved one. I appreciate you keeping this in focus during this topic thread.

My hat's off to ya! :tiphat:
HUS

I don't pretend to know the facts in this. I have had enough direct experience with the press to know that articles often change quotes, facts, etc in the process of being written. All I am saying is that the first article makes Mr Beachy sound a little negligent (and I understand that that may not be the case at all). Isbell is still dead, whatever the other facts.

Maybe the important thing here is to be very careful when in a confined area with ANY bull!

Have an escape route planned and #1 is to not take your eye off of him no matter what.

On the other hand you generally don't want to look a bull in the eye as that is a challenging behavior but be aware of where he is all the time. I try to watch mine out of the corner of my eye and not turn my back fully toward him when we're in tight quarters as around the waterer when I'm cleaning it out, etc.

Better yet is to not be in there with a bull unless absolutely necessary.

This thread is a reminder. I don't think we need to assign blame for the tragedy.

I don't know how many times I have read on this board to carry an axe handle or stick or whatever when working a bull and whack the bull with it if necessary - looks like this is what was done. I am not saying you shouldn't carry something just don't think you are invincible if you do. A guy with a stick is no match for a mean bull. This bull was known for being mean but the guy was out there alone with his stick and he probably did have an escape route in mind. Just didn't make it in time. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and neighbour his friend who owned the bull.

My first thought here was that the deceased had borrowed the bull. That happens as I have used a borrowed bull. I just realized this happened about an hour north of me. I just heard that the cause of death was a ruptured spleen which could have happened with just a kick or head butt in the right place at the right time, so it may have been that the bull didn't attack, but that the deceased was kicked during the process by the bull, cows or even some of the larger calves. So remember that livestock are dangerous even with no intent to harm.
Phil in Tupelo

Brandonm22":2d1fxtdb said:
I have had enough direct experience with the press to know that articles often change quotes, facts, etc in the process of being written.
On that we most definitly agree.

Hey guys, just wanted to offer you some "correct" information on the bull killing. I was one of the first responders that was actually on the scene. The bull did not knock down lazy neighbor mr. beachy's fence.The bull had been borrowed from a man named Bobby Pickett. Joe Beachy was simple a neighor and a good friend who had offered to help him with his cattle. Mr. Beachy does have cattle in his neighboring farm and did know that the bull was dangerous. I personally know Mr. beachy and he'd certainly be panicking if he thought someone was going to press charges for his genorosity. The bull appeared to be about 1,200 lb. pure bred angus about 2 years old. Mr. Isbell had an axe handle over at the gate but apperrently only took the little broom handle in with him. Well I hope thet helps you guys out. Ervin.

Glad to get some insider on this.I feel bad for all that were involved.I guess Mr.Beachy had warned the man and he didn't heed it.I'd bought several head off my brother in law which are calving and every time one hits the ground I call him to find out mammas temperment before approaching.I just figure if he had troubles with them I'd like to know beforehand don't get me wrong I respect all of them but if they are overly protective thats nice to know.Will be thinking of deceased and also Beachy be awful hard to take .

Ervin":1v5o43gf said:
Hey guys, just wanted to offer you some "correct" information on the bull killing. I was one of the first responders that was actually on the scene. The bull did not knock down lazy neighbor mr. beachy's fence.The bull had been borrowed from a man named Bobby Pickett. Joe Beachy was simple a neighor and a good friend who had offered to help him with his cattle. Mr. Beachy does have cattle in his neighboring farm and did know that the bull was dangerous. I personally know Mr. beachy and he'd certainly be panicking if he thought someone was going to press charges for his genorosity. The bull appeared to be about 1,200 lb. pure bred angus about 2 years old. Mr. Isbell had an axe handle over at the gate but apperrently only took the little broom handle in with him. Well I hope thet helps you guys out. Ervin.

If you see him, tell him we are all sorry. If some twit tries to get a dime out of him get me on the jury and I'll explain to the uninformed that this type thing goes with the turf. Sometimes we just forget these things and become careless. It sure is a shame and I'm sure it won't be the last time this type thing happens either.

Latest posts