Another reason I want out of this area

Help Support CattleToday:

This is happening in most areas of the country, not just TN. Probably the only way to avoid it is to move to an area that most people would not want to live.

And here I thought it was because the dominance of Saler bulls (or gelbvieh? or saler bulls wanting to look like gelbvieh? or whatever?) in the bull- and freezer beef market forced you out of business.... ;-)

"The average Tennessee farmer's net income was about $3,000 in 2007, down about 25 percent from 2002."

Who can live on $3,000???? That number can't be right unless their figuring all the hobby farmers who usually post a loss.

BeefmasterB":2595zeks said:
"The average Tennessee farmer's net income was about $3,000 in 2007, down about 25 percent from 2002."

Who can live on $3,000???? That number can't be right unless their figuring all the hobby farmers who usually post a loss.
probably not far off... most herds around here average 25-30 head ,with the farmer working a regular job not really hobby farmers per se, just making use of their smaller acreage

alacattleman":3hf5u811 said:
BeefmasterB":3hf5u811 said:

probably not far off... most herds around here average 25-30 head ,with the farmer working a regular job not really hobby farmers per se, just making use of their smaller acreage

Exactly the $3000 number is misleading because 90% of those guys are part time. If the guy with 20 cows and a $55000 job makes $3000 extra year in and year out off his 16 cows he is doing pretty good. A guy with a 120 cow dairy or 6 chicken houses does just thaty and he is probably headed to divorce, financial ruin, or both.

i dissagree that is a smart guy in my book.keeps him from paying income taxes at the end of the year.as long as ive been messing with cattle.i was taught to always run close enough to show a loss.so i dont have to pay anything.an when some1 mentions paying in.i figure out how much i need to spend the next year.

grannysoo":cs6ec5jr said:
talldog":cs6ec5jr said:
YANKEES !!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :mad: :mad:

You know the difference between a yankee and a be nice yankee?

Yankees come to visit.

Be nice yankees come to live! :lol2:

That goes right along with nothing can scare you more than a yankee with a U-Haul trailer.

backhoeboogie":2urtr309 said:
grannysoo":2urtr309 said:
talldog":2urtr309 said:
YANKEES !!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :mad: :mad:

You know the difference between a yankee and a be nice yankee?

Yankees come to visit.

Be nice yankees come to live! :lol2:

That goes right along with nothing can scare you more than a yankee with a U-Haul trailer.
thats a fact..... unless i see them heading north on I65,

bigbull338":3ocebb33 said:
i dissagree that is a smart guy in my book.keeps him from paying income taxes at the end of the year.as long as ive been messing with cattle.i was taught to always run close enough to show a loss.so i dont have to pay anything.an when some1 mentions paying in.i figure out how much i need to spend the next year.

There is a LOT you can do with the cash accounting system and depreciation schedules to keep yourself in a lower income tax bracket; BUT if you are doing this FULL TIME as your only income and your FARM NET INCOME Form 1040 Line 18 (for tax purposes never to be confused with Form 1040 line 43 Taxable Income) is $3000 a year in and year out over time (and you are not a liar and a tax cheat) you don't have enough money coming in to pay your light bill much less buy shoes for your kids. The standard deduction for a head of household is $8000 and a family of 4 gets another $14,000 off (4 x $3500) so a farm with a net income of $22,000 (and no outside income) pays NO federal INCOME taxes (social security is a different animal). The same farm making $32,000 ($10000 taxable income) pays only $1003 in income taxes and I bet that if I filled out the earned income tax credit worksheet on the kids I can wipe that out.

bigbull338":1ajxr1e8 said:
my adjusted net taxable income for the yr of 2008 was just over $5000 and I am not in the poor house and all the wife and I do is farm for a living

Well, no one is making us live where we live, or do what we do yet. So if you can't hack it. Move, quit, get another job, or all of the above. Its not pretty. But, that is capitalism at its best.

I'm not saying we can't complain about it though. ;-)

Walt

Latest posts