Another rake question

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
do the V-rakes run off hydraulic pressure all the time or just how do they work, both the rollobar v rakes and the wheel rakes. I saw one video that said the wheel rake rake off of the crop as you were driving. I'm really confussed on these things. I really like the looks of the rolla bar V rakes best but do they have to have constant hydraulic pressure to work or pto driven. Man I did not know it was this confussing. Which rake does not leave lots of hay lying behind and would be best for hilly ground here in WV. I have a Massey 265 or an 8N to rake with. Help!!!!!!!!!!

Ours only uses hydraulics to open and close. The rake wheels rolling on the ground is what makes it rake.

the V bar rakes use hydraulic power all the time the wheel rakes use ground force
a new hyd V bar rake will cost you around $15000 or more
a good wheel V rake will cost ya $4000 plus
in hilly ground I prefer the wheel rakes over the V bar rakes as the bar rakes won't follow the terrain and will leave skips
I had a 28ft V bar rake and went back to wheel rakes because of this

ok thanks that helps me out by knowing how they operate. With the wheel rakes are the carted ones with four wheels better than the ones with just two? How small or large can you make the windrow with one of these?

Wick":1nz4nmam said:
ok thanks that helps me out by knowing how they operate. With the wheel rakes are the carted ones with four wheels better than the ones with just two? How small or large can you make the windrow with one of these?
I guess you are talking about 4 tires on the ground versus the ones with 2 tires on the ground ????

it depends on how many wheels the rake has I run a Kuhn SR110 which is a 10 wheel rake(5 on each side ) and I think it will go 22-24ft and I can lay a windrow 6ft - 7 ft wide real easy or smaller if need be
but I run extra wide pickups on my baler so I can handle wider windrows