Another question about my lame bull

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I had the bright idea to grind up some "Bute" for my bull (the lame one from a recent post). This morning he is walking much better, of course!

Realizing that the "Bute" is only masking the problem, if I take the bull in next week to A & M, when should I quit giving the bute? I'm giving him 6 grams once a day. I'm not worried about residue, just don't want him "under the influence" when I take him in, and would prefer he be comfortable until I can get him there!

:shock:

I think if you take him off of it one or two days before the visit he should be ok assuming he will be loadable if you do. i forgot what the lameness issue was but we normally take horses off of bute one full day prior to a visit but we also never give more than 2 grams per day. I dont know if this website i found has anything you dont already know about bute but here goes anyway:

http://www.elephantcare.org/Drugs/phenylbu.htm

D.R. Cattle":umhrri4x said:
sidney411":umhrri4x said:
What is bute? What is it used for? I'm guessing some sort of pain killer?

Anti-inflammatory

I was on bute for a couple of weeks many years ago. Didn't help much, but I was sure fast over 5 furlongs.

dun

I would call them and ask when to take him off the bute. In looking around on the net, it seems the half-life of bute is about 45 to 55 hours. So, after two days, only half of the bute would have been metabolized and excreted from his system.

Six grams sounds like an awfully high dose, but I've only given it to horses, not cattle.

Sounds like your bull may be getting better . Bute as never been strong enough for any cattle that I have had in serious pain.

Depending on what your bull weighs, 6 grams in not alot

We had a cow who sheards off her hip called a droped hip, and we we giving her 14 grams once a day, crushed in grain till she was able to wean off the calf, then we pulled her off for 30= days and fed her out and butchered her

Phenalbutazone (SP) Bute is a non steriodal anti-inflamatory if I am not mistaken, and cattle will respond better to banamine, but it works and you have to give them a loading dose to get high enough blood levels to do any good

If the bull has visual damage I would keep him on it to prevent further damage, but if you can see it it will be easier to diagnose if the vet can see the lameness, sonds like rads will be needed, to make sure there is no internal trouble