Another question about lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
I have a cow that calved about 10 days ago. How long should I wait to give her a shot of lut. See here is the problem: She is a very good producing cow and we are out of pasture, the cows got moved 30 mins away and my hubby wants to ship the bull asap. I don't really want to ship her but.... it would be a lot nicer to get her bred. The bull can't be moved with the cows cause the facilities aren't that great for loading at the friends place and we will have to build something by the end of the summer to bring the girls home. The cow is in very good condition and had this been a 'normal' year for us we wouldn't be in such a rush to get her bred. I think the cow is around 10 yrs olf give or take. She always produces a very nice calf, walks right into the squeeze or trailer and has never had any problems since we have had her (3rd calf).
Any ideas from the knowledgeable cow people out there? There are a few cows we are going to send to the sale in the fall due to various reasons to cull but I wouln't mind hanging onto this girl.
Thanks

We have a similar situation but with a first calver. We waied 21 days and put a CIDR in her for a week then pulled it and gave the lut. I talked with the vet about it and in his opinion it depends on the cow, easy delivery and cleaned quickly are a good candidate as short as 2 weeks post calving. (His experience)

dun":yjtphy8l said:
We have a similar situation but with a first calver. We waied 21 days and put a CIDR in her for a week then pulled it and gave the lut. I talked with the vet about it and in his opinion it depends on the cow, easy delivery and cleaned quickly are a good candidate as short as 2 weeks post calving. (His experience)

Well she def calved easy and cleaned right out. She had that calf sucked and driend off before I got out there at 3 in the morning cause the night before she had 'that look'
Thanks
I will ask the vet tomorrow if I can ever get a hold of them.

Latest posts