Another oops calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Down in Dixie

Reaction score
Bought two heifers from a friend last year and brought them home and stuck them with the heard. She was 10 months when bred. I should of kept them separated but didn't. Lesson learned. Thankfully my bull is very light with calves. This little thing may weigh 40 lbs if I'm lucky. Couldn't have worked out better.

Attachments

• 66D5AB51-F615-4B0D-93CB-46482ED64CE4.jpeg
    66D5AB51-F615-4B0D-93CB-46482ED64CE4.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 32
Glad that one had a happy ending. Hopefully she will do a good job raising the calf and wind up being a good one for you.

It must be the year for oops babies...
I found this calf pop up out of the sagebrush yesterday when I went to go check on the cows. I figured one of the neighbors cows must have got in our field, but nope, one of the yearlings had him! The heifer was born in March 2020 so would have been six months old when she got bred.

I haven't seen this heifer since about a week after we turned them out, so early May. Fortunately she calved without any need for help or else she wouldn't have made it. There was a hereford bull and a simangus bull that were in the herd she was in, and neither would be considered calving ease so I'm glad they're doing ok!DSC_0822.JPGDSC_0767.JPG

One of the neighbors has about 20 yearling heifers in a field with a bull. The cows and calves have all gone out the hills. Yesterday I noticed a young calf standing there with the heifers. Oops

It must be the year for oops babies...
I found this calf pop up out of the sagebrush yesterday when I went to go check on the cows. I figured one of the neighbors cows must have got in our field, but nope, one of the yearlings had him! The heifer was born in March 2020 so would have been six months old when she got bred.

I haven't seen this heifer since about a week after we turned them out, so early May. Fortunately she calved without any need for help or else she wouldn't have made it. There was a hereford bull and a simangus bull that were in the herd she was in, and neither would be considered calving ease so I'm glad they're doing ok!View attachment 5579View attachment 5578
I went fishing over in that part of the world (Malhuer reservoir) several times this spring. I saw a lot of cows with blue ear tags. My cows have blue ear tags. I joked with the wife that our cows had traveled a long ways. I see it wasn't your cows I was looking at.

I went fishing over in that part of the world (Malhuer reservoir) several times this spring. I saw a lot of cows with blue ear tags. My cows have blue ear tags. I joked with the wife that our cows had traveled a long ways. I see it wasn't your cows I was looking at.
Ours are split into three groups so we have pink, red, and green tags. This heifers group is out past Unity

All of them at Malheur Reservoir would have green tags. The neighbors on three sides of us there do have blue tags. Usually several of them end up with ours by fall. If went fishing at the reservoir you would driven through their place before you got to ours.

Latest posts