Another one to pick apart

Help Support CattleToday:

http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.a ... zcw%3d%3do

The first bull we ever purchased up to that point we had AI'd and used a friends bull for clean up. We purchased this bull on 4/13/1996. I will add we were proud as peacocks about this bull he was a sweet natured thing. Looking at him now I see numerous flaws but then I thought he was about as perfect as you could get, for sure he was as good as we could afford.

gizmom

Our long time neighbor is moving and found the pictures when packing up his house. Wow the the photos bring back some memories. Not just of that bull but photos of our boys working on building their steer pens. Good times hard work but they were building character.

Baby brother always had to do the shovel work.

Really good memories, and the work didn't seem to do any permanent damage to them. I am sure proud of the men they have become.

gizmom

Guys,

I'd like to hear the faults pointed out because I'd like to see them better and I'd also like to hear the nomenclature used to describe it. From what I see I dont like the transition from the front shoulder (what we would have called the chine in dairy judging) through to the barrel of the ribs. I don't know if its that there is not enough breadth in the chest to match the breadth of shoulder or what? Also, the tailhead seems awful prominent especially given the drastic angle of the rump from hooks to pins.

Am I right on or way off?

gizmom":1o23gezh said:
Go ahead and pick on this one, he has flaws.

The first thing I notice is his extremely deep chest, to the point he lacks balance needing more width.
In the 2nd picture he kinda of looks photo shopped, meaning his heavy front 1/3 doesn't blend or match with his rear 2/3s
kind of like he is 2 different bulls welded together. He is certainly 100% functional so picking at flaws gets to be kind of a show ring thing. He looks like he adds frame score. Even though it seems he may kick out his left rear foot walking, it's fine.
I would like to see more top line width and at the top of his shoulder blades to make him freer moving. He may be a
head bobber when he walks, but not to the point that it causes him to struggle. As for the sloping rump from hooks to pins
while show ring judges don't like it...I actually do bcs I believe it aids in calving and cleaning/draining after calving for
improved fertility or quicker breed back performance. Given his front end size more width between the pins would help.
All in all a good bull.
BUT what I would like most is to hear comments from who knows him best.
And maybe I can gain insight and learn something. So how about it gizmom?

SOB, cup of coffee bet says he isn't that deep in the front, it is probably all dewlap.

Gizmom, he looks a lot like our old Brangus bull I put in the bull thread.

If he made good or bad contributions to your herd that taught you something that is what counts.

Ok yall are going to have to remember this bull was 20 years ago and I have slept once or twice since then lol. Some of the comments on here are dead on (as best as I can remember) He had a lot of leather that made him look bigger in the front end than he actually was. I don't mind some slope from hooks to pins for the exact reason stated, a cow will calve easier and clean out after calving better with a little slope. I know show ring doesn't like it but my thoughts on that would be another entire thread lol. We don't have any of this bulls progeny left in the herd, the bull was choppy when he walked. To be honest I was surprised we didn't have any of his genetics left in the herd but I went through all of the pedigrees and notta. At the time we purchased this bull I had still not figured out the genetic part of the equation, so we didn't have the consistency in our calves we were trying to achieve. Heck I am still tweaking, the quest for the perfect bull continues! I wish I had pictures of the bull that replaced him but back then I was still working for the school board and hauling kids to shows and FFA contest I didn't have much time for picture taking. Now I have more time but not as much energy to get it done. We haven't purchased all that many bulls, 4321 was the first then we purchased Sweetwater Jack 021 and co-owned Sweetwater Bob 0125, next came RB Righttime 461, then Coleman EXT 6149 and finally the Sinclair Rito 9R9 bull back in 2010. Other than the bulls listed we have used AI or our own bulls. To be honest we are at the point I feel my bulls are as good as anything I can purchase and I know the cow family behind the bull which is a bonus. I am planning to use a bull calf that we purchased as an egg from the Sinclair dispersal we have two calves from that mating and I am going to send them to the Florida Bull Test in July then bring one of them home to use.

gizmom

Son of Butch, I agree with what you have to say about calving ease and rump slope. I know what the show people seem to want, a ridiculous high tailhead on top of a peaked rump, but that is one of those places where form doesn't meet function.