Another Nose Ring Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
OK...so we've got a yearling bull we're showing. All work to date has been with the lead only (not touching the nosering). However, we KNOW we have to have a lead clipped to the nosering while IN THE RING so my question is: what is the best way to start the bull getting accustomed to feeling a little pressure on the nosering? Thought about clipping the show lead on when we take him for walks... but am wondering... as long as we're not tugging on it, he shouldn't mind it right? (this is hubby... taking him for a walk...not the best pic but he's really docile)
sign_magic_004.JPG

Hubby looks quite docile.

Don't touch the nose ring (other than turning it every second day or so for the first week) for at least 4 weeks.
When you tie him up run the rope through the nose ring just to get him used to the nose ring being handled. After a few days of this run the rope from the halter to your hand, through the nose ring and back to your hand when walking him. Don't be afraid to use the nose ring if he gets a bit lively especially when walking through other cattle. BTW practice walking through other cattle, practice walking him alone and practice walking him behind other cattle as well before the show.

Yeah...hubby's not too bad (haha)...
Thanks so much for the advice... I KNEW we had to get the lead rope through the nosering but skipped a step in my mind (from lead to hand THEN to nosering)... I would have went from lead to nosering THEN finally to hand but I can see where what you suggest immitates having both the lead AND bull lead in your hand...makes sense.

He's had the nosering in for some time so I'm sure by now it is completely healed (already went through the turning process) for several weeks. This guy is really calm (we've been walking him with other cattle up and down the driveway) as well as hubby takes him for walks alone. We also work on setting him up in the barn with the other girls tied to the rails next to him... he really ONLY gets excited if he knows he's being turned out to his excercise pen. Thanks again.

On our bulls, we just clipped the show lead to the nose ring while he was in the chute when we were working on him. Did that for a few days, and then led him with it, but didn't touch the nose lead, just let it dangle. (our nose lead is short so he wouldn't step on it). Then we slowly picked it up, and added a very small amount of pressure, just to get him used to it. After that, they've been fine.

Wisteria Farms":1xn2zfsn said:
Yeah...hubby's not too bad (haha)...
Thanks so much for the advice... I KNEW we had to get the lead rope through the nosering but skipped a step in my mind (from lead to hand THEN to nosering)... I would have went from lead to nosering THEN finally to hand but I can see where what you suggest immitates having both the lead AND bull lead in your hand...makes sense.

He's had the nosering in for some time so I'm sure by now it is completely healed (already went through the turning process) for several weeks. This guy is really calm (we've been walking him with other cattle up and down the driveway) as well as hubby takes him for walks alone. We also work on setting him up in the barn with the other girls tied to the rails next to him... he really ONLY gets excited if he knows he's being turned out to his excercise pen. Thanks again.

Make sure to walk him through cattle he doesn't know as well, don't forget he is a teenaged boy in bull terms.

Well, there will lie my problem... the closest thing is... (if you can see in the background of the picture) we have a lot full of some feeder steers/heifers...maybe walk him through that lot? Because he DOES KNOW the ones he's been walked with/worked around. My only concern with that is if those guys run up to say "hello"...could be a train wreck. I think its different in a show setting when everyone is either tied or on lead...that'll be a tough one to accomplish before show.

Wisteria Farms":jeukd3t8 said:
Well, there will lie my problem... the closest thing is... (if you can see in the background of the picture) we have a lot full of some feeder steers/heifers...maybe walk him through that lot? Because he DOES KNOW the ones he's been walked with/worked around. My only concern with that is if those guys run up to say "hello"...could be a train wreck. I think its different in a show setting when everyone is either tied or on lead...that'll be a tough one to accomplish before show.

That is exactly what you need to happen.

I know... "subject them to every possible distraction, noise, confrontation, etc"... I know... but easier said than done when its your first show bull!!

Wisteria Farms":cyacvzqd said:
I know... "subject them to every possible distraction, noise, confrontation, etc"... I know... but easier said than done when its your first show bull!!

Actually my worst nightmare is dogs at a show, that and a heifer in heat.

Yeah...in one of my posts I mentioned I took a heifer to be clipped and the family's cattle dog tried "herding" her off the trailer... I wasn't happy... but you face all kinds.
I'm with you on the heifer in heat... does anybody give a shot of lute or anything to try to sync heifers before a show? Is that stupid to ask? I mean that really IS a pain in the butt...their attitude so I've always wondered that.. if you could bring them "in" before the show for insurance AT the show!

KNERSIE":1rio9bzp said:

Heifer in heat ain't that hard to fix, just put vicks rube up the bulls nose and they won't smell a thing but vicks and it will clean their nose out. At least that's what I do and it works like a charm.

Wisteria Farms":2ujaqqkc said:
Yeah...in one of my posts I mentioned I took a heifer to be clipped and the family's cattle dog tried "herding" her off the trailer... I wasn't happy... but you face all kinds.
I'm with you on the heifer in heat... does anybody give a shot of lute or anything to try to sync heifers before a show? Is that stupid to ask? I mean that really IS a pain in the butt...their attitude so I've always wondered that.. if you could bring them "in" before the show for insurance AT the show!
They come in ever 21 days so if you go to lots of shows you can't shoot them up all the time, and it can mess them if you give them a shot of lute to many times. Throw them out of blance.

sim.-ang.king":g8h2wlcf said:
KNERSIE":g8h2wlcf said:

Heifer in heat ain't that hard to fix, just put vicks rube up the bulls nose and they won't smell a thing but vicks and it will clean their nose out. At least that's what I do and it works like a charm.

One day, when I'm all grown up, I also want to be as wise as you. :roll:

Sim... by "heifer in heat"...I'm not worried about my bull...I'm just talking about the overall attitude of the HEIFER. My best heifer turns into a total hag (nothing to do with smell/totally hormonal)...but thanks for the tip. I've done something similar with pigs that fight but haven't seen a need to do it with the cattle.

KNERSIE":yhozlgig said:
sim.-ang.king":yhozlgig said:
KNERSIE":yhozlgig said:

One day, when I'm all grown up, I also want to be as wise as you. :roll:

Maybe some day you will and fig. out what the topic was origanal about which was about bulls so any one reading this could think you could of been talking about bulls chasing heifers, which I have had more probs. with then heifers being in heat. :roll:

OK folks...lets just calm down! Yes, the original post was about the nose-ring but I was making comment on Knersie's statement about heifers in heat. NO BIG.

Wist, the way I acclimatise my boys is: leave it for 4 wks, then attach the nose lead rope to the ring but tie it to his halter when leading, don't use it. I do that for a few days then I'll pick it up and use light pressure. Remember its your brake, not your accelerator. Try not to pull him forward with it, pull forward on the halter and the nose is there to stop them if needed. However, having said that, when I need to pull a bull out of a bad situation (fighting another bull, about to jump a heifer etc) I have pulled on both halter and nose and it does work. But thats in extreme cases.

FWIW re the heifer in heat question, I thought it was about the bulls wanting to chase heifers in heat too. And I do the vicks trick on the nose also. Re stroppy females in heat at shows, I've never figured out a way to deal with it, a lot of ours were excitable travellers so the actual getting to the show was enough to bring them into heat. It sucks.

Also, I hate to disagree with harley because I truly do admire and respect everything that comes from him, but I find the idea of walking the bull through a paddock of unrestrained animals a little unnerving, frankly a little dangerous even. If those steers don't know him they might come over, they may very well start bunting him in the head/butt, and for starters a) you don't want to accidentally wind up in the middle of a dominance butting competition and b) if your little bull decides to turn around and give them a flogging, even with nose ring if he really wants to, you wont be able to avoid it, not even with the most well trained bull. I've been there and its not fun. So I guess, I wouldn't be doing that, but if it works for you then keep doing it.

Keren":2ub1l1kd said:
Wist, the way I acclimatise my boys is: leave it for 4 wks, then attach the nose lead rope to the ring but tie it to his halter when leading, don't use it. I do that for a few days then I'll pick it up and use light pressure. Remember its your brake, not your accelerator. Try not to pull him forward with it, pull forward on the halter and the nose is there to stop them if needed. However, having said that, when I need to pull a bull out of a bad situation (fighting another bull, about to jump a heifer etc) I have pulled on both halter and nose and it does work. But thats in extreme cases.

FWIW re the heifer in heat question, I thought it was about the bulls wanting to chase heifers in heat too. And I do the vicks trick on the nose also. Re stroppy females in heat at shows, I've never figured out a way to deal with it, a lot of ours were excitable travellers so the actual getting to the show was enough to bring them into heat. It sucks.

Also, I hate to disagree with harley because I truly do admire and respect everything that comes from him, but I find the idea of walking the bull through a paddock of unrestrained animals a little unnerving, frankly a little dangerous even. If those steers don't know him they might come over, they may very well start bunting him in the head/butt, and for starters a) you don't want to accidentally wind up in the middle of a dominance butting competition and b) if your little bull decides to turn around and give them a flogging, even with nose ring if he really wants to, you wont be able to avoid it, not even with the most well trained bull. I've been there and its not fun. So I guess, I wouldn't be doing that, but if it works for you then keep doing it.

i tend to forget not all breeds are as docile as herefords. ;-)

Don't worry Keren...NOT gonna happen. I understand what he's saying though...that I need to use whatever I have available so that he can experience everything possible before the show (and test my own control of him). But, yes, it was against my better judgement to walk him into that pasture of 7 other boys. Just don't have the balls for that one (pardon).

It was funny because we'd turned him out into a big pasture to burn off some energy (as he'd been stalled the past few days while working him). Well, last night he wouldn't come to the gate for NOTHING. After no food or water all night though he changed his tune and agreed to go with the hubby like a good boy. Seemed like he should have been waving a white "I surrender" flag!

Latest posts