Another New Law

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
Well, for some of us here in Virginia, there will be some happy people and from what I can tell, there will be many, many MORE unhappy people. I admit, I am one of the unhappy ones.

Starting tomorrow, one of many new laws, goes into effect......hunting will now be legal on Sundays.

My response....Really????? 6 days a week for almost 4 months isn't enough? Add to those 4 months rabbit, squirrel, turkey, spring gobbler etc. Bow, black-powder, rifle etc.

The first time this came up, within the state, it didn't pass. But I guess the powers that be, in the state legislature also "have a pen and a phone".

Don't get me wrong this is not a case of sour grapes, I have nothing against hunting, I do it myself, bow and rifle, but personally I think 6 days a week is enough. I could understand if we only had a 3 or 4 week hunting season here, but we don't.

Anyhow, I just needed to vent.

Katherine

M5farm":2jgdoxxr said:
What about the people that work 5 or 6 days a week and only get to hunt weekends.
Last time I checked VA wasn't in the Bible belt and i too have wondered why the opposition to hunting on Sunday. You can tythe online and meet Jesus at the deer blind here! :) He don't need our money anyway.....:)

M5farm":28243o67 said:
What about the people that work 5 or 6 days a week and only get to hunt weekends.

For the few who wanted this law, that was the thing.

Like I said, I can understand, and it wouldn't bother me so much if hunting season was only a few weeks. But it isn't. It starts somewhere in Oct. and runs clear through to early-mid Feb.....and then more into March and April. And that includes night time as well.

I guess all those Saturdays in all those months and all those holidays aren't enough for some folks.

Sundays have been the only day, during hunting season, where it is even remotely safe to walk my own property, never mind the folks who like to ride their horses in the state parks.

Oh well. Such is life.

Katherine

Workin I wanted the law to pass because I don't like govt telling me when I can hunt my lands I hunt 6 days a week Nov thru January I will hunt on some Sundays not all I was for no dog hunting on Sunday as well as other members of the via hunting dog alliance

I understand your plight, it's new and everyone thinks it's changing the world. After this season you will hardly notice. It will Most likely not even be noticeable . Virginia does not have parks that do not allow any hunting? Florida state parks do not allow hunting the public hunting areas are separate.

M5farm":16qv4axw said:
I understand your plight, it's new and everyone thinks it's changing the world. After this season you will hardly notice. It will Most likely not even be noticeable . Virginia does not have parks that do not allow any hunting? Florida state parks do not allow hunting the public hunting areas are separate.

Yes there are a few closed to hunting like maybe 2 lol

Sunday hunts have always been legal here And we are the bible belt. You wont even notice it more than likely. I have to agree with what sky said though. I would not like gov telling me i couldnt hunt my own land on certain days.

M5farm":10ohuqq4 said:
I understand your plight, it's new and everyone thinks it's changing the world.

Well.....I don't feel that its changing the world :lol2: .

After this season you will hardly notice.

In my area of the state, trust me, I will notice, as will many others.

It will Most likely not even be noticeable . Virginia does not have parks that do not allow any hunting?

Like Sky said.....maybe 2 :lol2:

Florida state parks do not allow hunting the public hunting areas are separate.

Sky, I completely understand the thing about Gov't not telling you what you can and cannot do on your own land. I have to say, if the new law was stating that a person could hunt on their own land on Sundays, and not everyone on all lands including the parks etc, I would never have even made the original post. I think a person should be allowed to hunt their own lands.

Hunting with dogs......that's a whole different ballgame. There are hunters who hunt with dogs, trained for hunting. Then there are so-called hunters that use dogs. In my "neighborhood" the latest and greatest 'type' of hunting dog, amongst the local delinquents, is a Pitbull crossed with a deerhound,plotthound or coonhound. :roll:

Katherine

I hunt dogs a lot but just remember there's gonna be idiots in everything you do. Private lands the land owners can restrict Sunday hunting if they choose too by not allowing friend family leasees hint then. The biggest push came from insurance companies IMO

I have mixed feelings on this as Well as a trapper I love having the woods to myself on Sunday. I always thought it was a stupid law anyway as you can fish and trap on Sunday but not hunt deer.
I think it will take some gettin used to, remember when they made crossbows legal and all the bowhunters were raising cain now all of them hunt with crossbows lol

trappersteve":2pr58nxx said:
I have mixed feelings on this as Well as a trapper I love having the woods to myself on Sunday. I always thought it was a stupid law anyway as you can fish and trap on Sunday but not hunt deer.
I think it will take some gettin used to, remember when they made crossbows legal and all the bowhunters were raising cain now all of them hunt with crossbows lol

lol I wasn't upset about the crossbow I was pissed I had bought a Matthews switchback and dressed it up spent 1100 bucks in total then sold it for 700 and barely got that but I love my tenpoint and Barnett crossbows lol

I almost bought a crossbow a few years ago but never did . I'll probably get cussed for saying this but I think you have to be a better hunter to draw a bow on an animal 20 yards away and have time to settle the right pin where it needs to go. With that being said I'm gettin lazy inn my old age and I don't shoot my bow like I should I'm gonna look into gettin one

trappersteve":1s126c02 said:
I almost bought a crossbow a few years ago but never did . I'll probably get cussed for saying this but I think you have to be a better hunter to draw a bow on an animal 20 yards away and have time to settle the right pin where it needs to go. With that being said I'm gettin lazy inn my old age and I don't shoot my bow like I should I'm gonna look into gettin one

I will take it even further you have to be a GREAT hunter to draw a longbow on a deer with no pins and take the animal effectively. :D I have killed my fair share with a compound and have taken way more fish with my compound I wanted change something new.

skyhightree1":21ab211t said:
trappersteve":21ab211t said:

I will take it even further you have to be a GREAT hunter to draw a longbow on a deer with no pins and take the animal effectively. :D I have killed my fair share with a compound and have taken way more fish with my compound I wanted change something new.
Agreed I took my first few deer wit a 45# recurve it takes a lot of practice to get good wit one the only reason I went compound is I have a little more range and I liked the let off lol

trappersteve":1kkeqkqh said:
skyhightree1":1kkeqkqh said:
trappersteve":1kkeqkqh said:

Agreed I took my first few deer wit a 45# recurve it takes a lot of practice to get good wit one the only reason I went compound is I have a little more range and I liked the let off lol

Let off sure is nice isn't it lol I tell you what try pulling a crossbow back while in the stand using your foot and hands lol

trappersteve":1beo9kbn said:
Sky, What brand do you recomend the one I was looking at was a barnett

I like Barnett and ten point... They have been great to me. Barnett is great only problem well not a problem but before half nock 22" bolts were hard to find here not anymore. The thing I suggest is to see what bolts it takes and which is readily available where you are. the ten point bolts were everywhere

skyhightree1":24ni5ues said:
trappersteve":24ni5ues said:
Sky, What brand do you recomend the one I was looking at was a barnett

I like Barnett and ten point... They have been great to me. Barnett is great only problem well not a problem but before half nock 22" bolts were hard to find here not anymore. The thing I suggest is to see what bolts it takes and which is readily available where you are. the ten point bolts were everywhere
Thanx, another question What kinda optics are the best red dot, and how flat do those things shoot

Latest posts