Another law enforcement story

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
I saw the other discussion about law enforcement. I didn't want to highjack that one so I'm starting this one. Anyway, it reminded me of the only time I ever raised my voice and cursed at an officer. I'm usually pretty mild-mannered, and the few dealings I have had with law enforcement have all been okay except once. It was about 30 years ago. I was driving to town for something or other and came upon the local constable trying to get a bunch of cows off the road. I stopped to help. He had cows of his own, so he knew what to do, and had gone ahead and gotten the gate open. We had everything under control, the cows were walking single-file down the fence with me walking along behind them and we would have had them all back in the pasture in just a few minutes. Then a deputy pulled up beside me and rolled down the window. Never said a word to me but I guess he didn't think the cows were moving fast enough. He hit his siren, and as you can imagine that group of cows scattered like a covey of quail. I yelled at him to turn off his siren, and I'm afraid I took the Lord's name in vain in the process. He still didn't say a word. Shut off the siren, rolled up his window, and drove off.

Latest posts