Another..."last" update.

Help Support CattleToday:

Today, out of the 54 I got from Mike, all had calved...27 bulls and 27 heifers exactly. That almost never happens. Out of the 22 of ours that had May calves, there are 13 bulls and 9 heifers. Jan we had 3 calves born , and we will wean them and sell them in July. Feb we had 9 to sell in August. March we had 43 for September, April we had 43 for October, and today we have 76 for November sales. Today, the calves got blue ear tags. We aren't fooling with coordinating with cow ear tag numbers, etc, because it doesn't matter. Jan calves got white tags, Feb yellow, March green, April orange and May , blue. If we had any calving in June, I guess they would have got red tags. But, I am done working them until they calve next year! Whoo-hoo!! I will carry those 3 July and 9 Aug weaned calves....or Clay will..... to Mike's place, but the rest he will send Clay and a couple more of his cowboys down to get them in a big truck and trailer. All I will have to do is round them up, pen them, and count my money! :) Life is good! Or will be Wednesday when I get this tooth pulled!!!

@MurraysMutts , @farmerjan Today I went ahead and pulled Gail's other Brama calf off of her and took her over to the feed lot Clay has at his boss's place, Took her natural calf over there 2 weeks ago, and It has grown a little more than this one, on that program of feeding they use. Question, the other calf we borrowed is still on Gail...he is about 2 months old..maybe 3. She should calve mid to late November. How much longer should I let this last one nurse? He will be 6 mos old around September.

That calf I took today weighed 486 lbs. We didn't weigh Gail's calf when we took it over there, but this calf's dam was a red Holstien, while Gail is a Jersey. Born on the same day, and by the same red Brahma bull. The other calf was always a little taller than Gail's calf, and a few pounds heavier. But today, after being on that sorghum silage, spent beer mash, chicken litter and cotton seed, Gail's calf has caught her and may weigh more. This is what I can going to do with all the Br x dairy calves each year and what I will do with the
heifers when my 8 Brahmas calve. Any heifer we keep to raise to sell as a replacement, we plan on feeding them there from weaning til time to sell, at 14-16 mos old. Clay is picking up his 20 Black Simm x ChiAngus heifers next week, and that is where they are going too, as well as his 3 Red Charolais heifers. Clay bought that Fleckveigh/Braunveigh heifer we had on Gail about a month or so ago, and I doubt she was much over 500 lbs, if that, when he got her, She has dramatically increased frame size, and I bet she is 650 now.

Those 400 Corr cows we are buying from his boss, live year round on the same thing, minus the cotton seed. The man will NOT fool with hay, and he has no grass in their pasture of course. The 54 I got the other day were in very good flesh, and I wondered if they would go down a little on the Kudzu. But, that is 25% protein, and they don't appear to have lost a pound! If you was to buy all of that to feed year round, I don't think the numbers would work out, But the silage is the only thing that costs him...he gets paid to haul off the spent mash, chicken litter and cotton seeds.

Last edited:
If she is due mid-late Nov, and she has some age on her too doesn't she?... I would consider her condition and give her 2-3 months break. So, probably anytime in August. I think the calf will be fine to wean at 5-6 months. Her condition and all will be more important.

The hol x calves will grow taller before putting on as much "body", they are more bone and frame.... the jersey x calves will be finer boned.... and will actually round out faster than the hol x but they will not get as big or put on as much total overall weight.

I finally found a source of cotton seed hulls (pelleted) to feed our show string for "bulk/filler". Whole cotton seed can't be beat for feed. I used to buy it for the show string. The cattle loved it. LOL - my hubby brought a few bags home one day, and I said "the cows will never eat that!". I put it on top of their feed, figuring they wouldn't like it. They gobbled it all up before eating their grain ration. It is excellent for their hair and skin because of the oil in it. No where to be found now up here.

Well.....technically..... I am actually, in effect, trading 120 of my Corrs for about 250 of his. But yeah, I will be buying about 150 more of his over this year. But, Corrs don't actually count. There is ZERO work or inputs to them...you just turn them out and double or triple what you paid for them every year. It is like depositing your money in an account that pays 100% -200% interest every year. Those 8 Brahmas I got last week, are the last cattle I will buy that have to be vetted, vaccinated, wormed, etc. for real! Well, actually I may buy four more. That way I will have a good set of 12 f1 replacements to sell each year. But that will definitely, 100% be IT! No more! That is, unless I buy some for a client, or buy some that I already have a place to go with them. But that is IT!
unless......definitely........100%........won't buy any more, until you do buy more. ;):cool:

If she is due mid-late Nov, and she has some age on her too doesn't she?... I would consider her condition and give her 2-3 months break. So, probably anytime in August. I think the calf will be fine to wean at 5-6 months. Her condition and all will be more important.

The hol x calves will grow taller before putting on as much "body", they are more bone and frame.... the jersey x calves will be finer boned.... and will actually round out faster than the hol x but they will not get as big or put on as much total overall weight.
She's getting close to 5...may already be. Great condition...she is belly deep in bermuda and alfalfa all day, and doesn't have to constantly fight the skeeters, flies and gnats of south GA up here. That calf is one that the lady raising our two 1/2 Jerseys was feeding on a bottle from milking our two. I can carry him back down there anytime, but I am gonna offer to put it in Clay's lot and feed it out on that growth mix for a while, if she wants to.

Last edited:
This is a great project and enjoyable to read :)

I'm also feeding 3 jers bottle heifers off my cow I milk with a machine. They are 3 and 2 weeks old. I keep them separate in horse stalls, let one at at a time out to frisk every day. I don't want to take the chance of them sucking each other or messing up my cow's udder using her as a nurse cow, and she makes too much milk for them, it has to be dolled out so they don't get milk scours. I can't make pets out of them, I am raising them to sell.

unless......definitely........100%........won't buy any more, until you do buy more. ;):cool:
Wellll..technically I did not buy anymore cows today. Today when I was down there showing that Waygu dude the Corr cows, Scott's brother was down there helping him work on the peanut harvester. I told him the deal we had going on with Clay's boss, and told him I'd like to get his 2 bulls out of there before those 54 of Mike's came back in heat. I told him about the program we had worked with Mike, and that he wanted to supply us with his Brangus bulls. His brother said: " Well, if y'all are doing that, do you wanna sell those 2 Salacoa Brangus bulls then? If you do sell them I want them." First time I had thought about it, and he is right: We won't need those 2 bulls anymore. He told me he had 4 registered Brahma cows..three 9 yr old and one 10 yr old, that had just weaned calves, and were bred for November calves, AI'ed to a black pb Chianina , sexed semen for heifer calves. He isn't gonna use Brahma and Chianina in his composite breed development projects any more...just Brangus and Chi-Angus. He said " How would you wanna trade?" I told him one of them belonged to Clay...that I had sold it to him right after I bought them. I called Clay and told him about it and he said " Heck trade if you want to. I haven't paid you for him yet anyway"!!!! So, when he left today, he took Scott's truck and trailer, and hauled those 4 bulls back to his place. Tomorrow, he is bringing those 4 cows and our Gyr x Herf-Guerns calf over to Scott's place. That heifer is not quite 5 months old, and I am sure Gail will adopt her as soon as she gets off the trailer. I will leave her on Gail a month or so then take her over to Clay's lot with the others. Then wean that other calf on Gail about Labor day. I am going to tell Clay to pick 2 of the 4 Brahma cows and we will call them his, if he still wants to pay for the bull. He'd be getting two bred reg Brahmas for about $3200...I can't remember exactly what I paid for Clay's bull. And if he doesn't want them, that's fine, too. I had said I would like to get 4 more Bramas anyhow, to have a dozen f1 replacements to sell every year.

But this time, I mean it! Not gonna buy anything else! (Trading don't count as buying though). And over this next year I am getting the rest of Mike's Cors, about 350, but that was a deal I made before I first said I ain't buying no more! :)

The Gyr x Herf/Guernsey has done well. She is 450lbs at 5 months old. Scott's brother never had an orphan calf this season (the twin died), but he did buy a bottle calf to put on her. Yep...Gail came got her as soon as she stepped off the trailer. Gonna pull her off Gail in a few days, and put her over in Clay's lot with the others. She is fully vaccinated and he gave me a list of what all vaccs she has had, but just to be safe, gonna let her stay in the pasture with Gail for a while to see if she gets sick. It will be September before we wean the heifers off of our other two cows. They were born in March.

Last edited:
Well, I was talking to Scott last night, about what I did yesterday. I bought 105 more of Mike's herd with the money from selling those Mexican cows to the Wagyu guy. These had calves that he was going to wean next week anyway. I told Scott we will let them on the old dove field, and the new 50 acre Bahia pasture. After about another month, we will let them in to the 50 acre Bermuda pasture as well. He told me that he was about to call me, to tell me abut a decision he had come to. Soybeans are cheap right now, and the prices keep falling. His 100 acres of beans are not doing well at all. Wrong amounts of rain at the wrong time. Got some awesome looking bean bushes...growing like the devil....just don't have hardly any beans, and what there is are way too small. So he said screw it...he hadn't booked any yet... so he wants to go ahead and graze it. I called Clay's boss while ago, and told him when they start hauling the 105 this week, to go ahead and bring 70-75, or 80 more...just however it works out with the trucks. If he brings 185, counting the 54 I got from him last month, that will be 240 of the 400. I had told him we'd buy all 400 before the year was up. I have 176 Corr cows right now in my herd, and out of them 72 are solid black. I am keeping them and selling the other 104 as they wean each month, starting next week. So by the end of November, we will have about 475. Scott will cut his corn end of August, and that opens up another 100 acres, and will dig the peanuts in September...another 100 acres. Those 400 acres of row crop, plus the dove field, gives us 450 acres to add to the 220 acre Kudzu place. 475 Corrs on 670 acres will be a breeze, but we will have to get them off the peanut and corn fields in order to sow grass this fall. so for a while, gonna have 475 cows, and some bulls, on just 470 acres. That's gonna cut it pretty close for a few months this fall and winter. If need be, I will sell 50 of the cows I am buying from Mike...just got to keep enough to supply him with 400 calves each year. And I can do that with just 425 cows.

This is going to be interesting. The last 4 years since I have been on here, I have always said that our success, was half the bulls we use, and the rest is the no-inputs at all. On the 400 acres across the road, we WILL have inputs. Though he got a grant to cover them, I am keeping up with the costs of the seed and fertilizer, and also a little bit of costs for irrigation. I wanna see if the extra input expense, translates into increased calf size at weaning. We gonna have to keep them off that 50 acre Bermuda this fall while we plant the Bulldog 805. and off the 200 acres that were corn and peanuts, while we sow and grow grass on them. We may end up having to feed some hay. If we do, gonna keep up with that cost too, charging off what he sells it for retail as inputs for those cows. By next year, though, the ones over there should be as maintenance free as the Kudzu place ones are now. But, we will always have fertilizer. herbicide, and lime costs on that 400 acres.

Taking my 12 Brahmas down there tomorrow and putting them in the 15 acres we kept Gail and the other nurse cows in. It hasn't been grazed since we rejuevenated it this spring. Clay wants to cut that 15 acre Bermuda/alfalfa pasture for hay next week. Gonna bring Gail and her calf over here where I keep my horses til after he bales it, but will leave the Brahmas down there. Clay has 8 cows on it, and he is just gonna out them in his 5 acre horse pasture til after he bales.

EDITED to make a correction: Actually, we won't have herbicide costs. We are sowing legumes with the Bermuda and bahia, so we won't be spraying any 24D or anything. You can control weeds fairly well, though, by watching and maintaining the ph and NPK balances.

Last edited:
I do NOT free base cocaine! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What have you done! 😳
Now you got work to do...

You know what I been doing?? Watching my 5 cows and 1 bull get fat and bred. Only checking them twice a week. And the stocker calves. Haha! Growing like lil weeds.

O yeah. I water the lawn occassionally too.

I do NOT free base cocaine! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What have you done! 😳
Now you got work to do...

You know what I been doing?? Watching my 5 cows and 1 bull get fat and bred. Only checking them twice a week. And the stocker calves. Haha! Growing like lil weeds.

O yeah. I water the lawn occassionally too.
Yeah, gonna haul 197 cows down there this week, and dunno how many bulls yet...probably 3 to start. Biggest headache for me is trying to decide how to tag them to distinguish these new ones from the ones I had, especially since I have 3 different deals with Mike regarding how much I pay for them, and what is done with calves they already have on them, etc. With the herd this year with them calving Jan- May, I just used white tags on the Jan, yellow on the Feb, green on the March, orange on the April, and blue on the May. Left ear steer, right ear heifer. Simple. But, the ones I am getting from Clay's boss are all branded, so easy to tell those cows from what I have now. The calves of the 54 I got last month, I just put white tags in them. No chance of confusing them with the January calves, which I will wean and sell to Mike next week anyway. Still got 160 of his to buy, but gonna be selling 100 or so of mine, and at 2-3 times the amount I am paying for Mike's. So, THAT is IT!! I MEAN it this time!!! No more BB...Bovine Buying! When all 400 of his are bought I will have spent $100k on them. When I sell my 105 or so that are not black, I will get about $70k. Made $21k on selling Wagyu guy that Mexican herd, so we will have about $9k in 470 or so Corr cows. I don't care if the prices drop to $1 a pound, at $500/calf that is $235k a year. Other than a graft calf or two for Gail each year, I will NOT be buying anymore cattle! Unless it is some I have a buyer for, or I am buying for someone. But I am not actively seeking out those situations anymore. This is going to be so much easier on Scott, and he is going to sell a lot of his row crop equipment for a LOT of money. Easier on me, too. Will just have to go tag and band calves once a month (but not every month), and get up 6 mos old calves to sell once a month (but not every month). And since I moved the camper down there, I won't be having to leave before daylight, work cattle all day, then drive 3 hours home at night when I do go down to work cows and/or hunt. Plus, Mike will send Clay and some of his other cowboys down to help tag, band, sort and haul back up here at weaning. I doubt I will have to do anything other than heel, and won't even have to do that unless I just want to.

Gonna carry my 12 Brahmas down Thursday morning, and bring Zeke back with me to spend the night. We will move Gail to my horse barn, and he will get to spend time with her, Then I am taking him to bike night. He will love the band, and seeing all the motorcycles. Friday morning I will be at Mike and Clay's place, sorting and loading those 185 or so Corrs, and I will take the last trailer load down with me when I carry Zeke home. It is funny....he asked me when he comes home with me this week, lif we would have time to go by and see Bessie and " Mr. Marr-y". LOL. He said he wanted to show you those boar's tusks, and the scarrs on his butt!! ROFLMFAO! I told him that if we left at daylight, drove all day, pulled up in your yard m said "hey" then turned around and drove back, we wouldn't be back by daylight the next day!

If we have time though, before bike night, I plan on taking him by Donny's studio, @gman4691 , and record him singing one of his Waylon songs to soundtracks. He will like that, Donny is playing in the bike night band that night too.

I bet you will buy more before I do!
Nahhhh

I'm on cruise control bro! 😆

I did try to buy a couple more handful of calves to graze. But wasn't to be. It's getting too rich for my blood. After my friend telling me about his misadventures, I'm just gonna let these graze and grow. Turning off hot and dry here!
I'm understocked and lots n lots of hay. If things go south, I'll be buying some money makers this fall/winter.

Edited to add....
Last Thursday they sold several nice groups of 250lb calves. But those would require a bit of feed and time I ain't got right now. They sold at $1000 per head.
As was discussed, the money is made when ya buy em. I wasn't buying what they were selling. Hope the buyers do well with them tho...

Yeah, gonna haul 197 cows down there this week, and dunno how many bulls yet...probably 3 to start. Biggest headache for me is trying to decide how to tag them to distinguish these new ones from the ones I had, especially since I have 3 different deals with Mike regarding how much I pay for them, and what is done with calves they already have on them, etc. With the herd this year with them calving Jan- May, I just used white tags on the Jan, yellow on the Feb, green on the March, orange on the April, and blue on the May. Left ear steer, right ear heifer. Simple. But, the ones I am getting from Clay's boss are all branded, so easy to tell those cows from what I have now. The calves of the 54 I got last month, I just put white tags in them. No chance of confusing them with the January calves, which I will wean and sell to Mike next week anyway. Still got 160 of his to buy, but gonna be selling 100 or so of mine, and at 2-3 times the amount I am paying for Mike's. So, THAT is IT!! I MEAN it this time!!! No more BB...Bovine Buying! When all 400 of his are bought I will have spent $100k on them. When I sell my 105 or so that are not black, I will get about $70k. Made $21k on selling Wagyu guy that Mexican herd, so we will have about $9k in 470 or so Corr cows. I don't care if the prices drop to $1 a pound, at $500/calf that is $235k a year. Other than a graft calf or two for Gail each year, I will NOT be buying anymore cattle! Unless it is some I have a buyer for, or I am buying for someone. But I am not actively seeking out those situations anymore. This is going to be so much easier on Scott, and he is going to sell a lot of his row crop equipment for a LOT of money. Easier on me, too. Will just have to go tag and band calves once a month (but not every month), and get up 6 mos old calves to sell once a month (but not every month). And since I moved the camper down there, I won't be having to leave before daylight, work cattle all day, then drive 3 hours home at night when I do go down to work cows and/or hunt. Plus, Mike will send Clay and some of his other cowboys down to help tag, band, sort and haul back up here at weaning. I doubt I will have to do anything other than heel, and won't even have to do that unless I just want to.

Gonna carry my 12 Brahmas down Thursday morning, and bring Zeke back with me to spend the night. We will move Gail to my horse barn, and he will get to spend time with her, Then I am taking him to bike night. He will love the band, and seeing all the motorcycles. Friday morning I will be at Mike and Clay's place, sorting and loading those 185 or so Corrs, and I will take the last trailer load down with me when I carry Zeke home. It is funny....he asked me when he comes home with me this week, lif we would have time to go by and see Bessie and " Mr. Marr-y". LOL. He said he wanted to show you those boar's tusks, and the scarrs on his butt!! ROFLMFAO! I told him that if we left at daylight, drove all day, pulled up in your yard m said "hey" then turned around and drove back, we wouldn't be back by daylight the next day!

If we have time though, before bike night, I plan on taking him by Donny's studio, @gman4691 , and record him singing one of his Waylon songs to soundtracks. He will like that, Donny is playing in the bike night band that night too.
Rock on, Zeke!

We had put them in Clay's arena last night. I got to Clay's this morning at 5:30, and backed up to the the return lane. Clay saddled up and walked them into the lane and into the trailer, Took less time than saddling and un-saddling did. I was down there before 9 this morning, zee decided he didn't want to come. He wanted to be at his produce stand, He had already picked 10 gallons of blackberrries, 10 gallons of plums, an a bucket of muscadines this morning. Had I known he wasn't coming back with me, I would have just waited and took them tomorrow when we haul the Corr cows.

Clay told me his boss had said that after work today, they gonna go ahead and sort the Corrs that have already weaned., and go ahead and wean the January calves too. I told him we didn't have to do the 185....I could take up to 225 or so if they had them. That would only leave 125 til I have all 400 of them. When Scott gets the peanuts and corn in, we will get the rest of them. Digs peanuts in July and cuts the corn last of August. I think we only had 3-5 with January calves, but there are 8 that had calves that weren't solid black and/or had scurs., and I am selling them with their calves too. That will be 112 gone from the Kudzu pasture when I finish weaning...leaving 64 over there. Gonna keep 150 there, and the other 320 or so on the 450 acres. Or that is the plan so far. I can sell about 70 of the ones I am getting that are not solid black, if I need to, as well.

Well, we moved 216 down there today, and one bull. That leaves 130 more to go, and we will get them all down by September, and they will all be bred. Those 216 we got had all weaned (or weaned today) their calves and were bred back. All of mine are bred, except maybe the 20-something May calvers, and the 54 I got from Mike that all had calves in May. So, I brought one bull down to put with those 70-something. There were bulls in with them til June 14, so pretty sure they didn't breed back already. One that calved May 1st would have had to have bred back in 45 days from calving, and the rest sooner than that. Best and easiest time to breed one back is on the 2nd heat from calving. I guess it is possible for one to breed back on the first heat, but I am 99.99% sure these 70 or so are open.

I wish someone had videoed when we turned those cows out in that bean field! Most of Mike's cows have never had anything to eat except for his silage/beer mash/chicken litter/ cotton seed feed. They add salt, minerals and some kind of vitamin supplement to the feed, and apparently it gives them just the right amount of salt and mineral they need. But, we noticed today when the cows would take a break from gorging themselves on beans, they would hit the salt/mineral feeders with a passion.

I brought back the 5 weaned calves I had and took them to Mike's. 3 steers and 2 heifers. Lightest heifer was 495 and heaviest steer was 546. I got the check book out to pay for those 216. Mike was making up an invoice for the 216 minus the $2.25/lb for the heifers and $2.50/lb for the steers. I told him "You mis-figured. 216 x $300 is $64,800. You have down here $54k for the cows." He said " Well, $300 was what you said...I told you $250 from the beginning!" The man just gave away $10k! So I wrote the check for $52,500. Told him if he was gonna do that then I was just going to charge $300/hd for those calves. Clay shook his head, and said " I have never seen anything so cray, Two professional traders, the seller trying to argue down the price, and the buyer arguing to pay more!!

Scott has sold a lot of equipment, and needs to spend the money, so he ordered a `150' x 250' arena from our rodeo producer buddy. 7' tall heavy pipe panels. They are going to be setting it up Sunday in the same place at the dove field where he put up the temporary one when he bought my Plummer cows. And Scott said he is going to build 2 pole barns....one where the perimeter fence between field 1 and 2 meet, and are intersected by the cross fences, and the same on field 3 and 4. He will close the southern and western sides to give them shade from the sun. Each barn will have 4 divisions in it, separated by the fence and cross fence. He said we'd just put the mineral feeders under them, and can use fly control measures under them, too.

And when I left today, Zeke was sitting under a tree next to Gail's pasture, singing Waylon songs and sharing his watermelon with one of the red Brahmas!! The rest were off in the orchard part under the trees, but I reckon Zeke has made a friend out of this one, in one day! She was cautious...stretch as far as she could to stay as far away from him as she could, but she took it out of his hands every time. I told him, and made him promise me he understood, to not ever get in that pasture with those cows without me or Scott there. All 12 are polled, but they are all 1800 lbs or more, too. Just not something you'd want to play with. Right now I can ride up to them close enough to spray them with fly spray, but just a shout or wave of my arms, and they will move off away from the horse, and that is about as tame as I want them to be.

Latest posts