another hay question

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I bought some small square bales because of our drought,but it is supposed to be two years old (alfalfa (sp) orchard grass mixed) mostly alfalfa. Its green and has been in barn but one side was exposed and some of them bales look bleached out or dry. anyway I have been feeding these bales and cows get loose manure, I figured the protein on 2 year old hay would be down. Do I need to not feed as much? Or do I need to feed some of my timothy, orchardgrass mix big bales every so often?These cows are on pasture and dont get anything else except minerals. JHH

Set out a round bale free choice. Feed the alfalfa as a treat.

JHH":1pfefogn said:
I bought some small square bales because of our drought,but it is supposed to be two years old (alfalfa (sp) orchard grass mixed) mostly alfalfa. Its green and has been in barn but one side was exposed and some of them bales look bleached out or dry. anyway I have been feeding these bales and cows get loose manure, I figured the protein on 2 year old hay would be down. Do I need to not feed as much? Or do I need to feed some of my timothy, orchardgrass mix big bales every so often?These cows are on pasture and dont get anything else except minerals. JHH
Loose, runny manure indicates a diet that is high in protein and digestiblity, whereas manure that stacks up indicates low protein and/or digestiblity diet. The ideal manure consistency for weight gain is like pancake batter, not runny but not stacking up either. If your cow are in good body condition, a little thicker consistency would probably be OK. If they need to put on weight, then pancake batter consistency should put some pounds on. Adjusting the amount of alfalfa fed will allow you to provide the needed protein (but not to excess). Probably be a cost saving to feed less of the alfalfa as they appear to be eating more than enough protein. As i travel my pastures, I do "poop patrols" to monitor the quality of their diet. I don't like to overfeed (and waste) expensive protein.

My experience in feeding hay before the pasture grass is grazed out resulted in the cows walking (and tromping, fouling , wasting grazable grass) and bawling for more hay/feed. Now, i don't start feeding hay until the leafy portion of the grass is consumed. I don't force them to eat the stemmy portion as it has little feed value. Basically cows are like spoiled teenagers, if you give them every thing they want, they won't go out and work for a living.

That's my 2 cents worth. Hope it is helpful

Regards

Brock

JHH":1a749oyt said:

You might want to try mixing the alfalfa with grass when you feed it. If the cows aren't used to the alfalfa it will cause the runs due to the higher protein content. We generally feed about half alfalfa and half grass to start, then after several feedings raise it to one third grass to 2 thirds alfalfa and scatter the bales in that order.

ollie'":1nanw2pz said:
Bright response Brock. You are a good stockman.

Gotta agree, that was some great advice. Its post like that that give you an idea about the names you see pop up that your not familular with.

Agree...we feed alfalfa/grass and start the new additions on a strictly grass ration and introduce them to the alflafa gradually.
Not worried about manure so much as I am bloat from the rich alfalfa. Never know what they have been eating unless you buy from a friend. DMc

Bama":2oxbc67o said:
ollie'":2oxbc67o said:
Bright response Brock. You are a good stockman.

Gotta agree, that was some great advice. Its post like that that give you an idea about the names you see pop up that your not familular with.

Guy and Gals

I really appreciate the warm reception and kind comments. Before registering I reviewed a lot of the posts from the past few months. I was pleasantly surprised by quality of the advice and experience represented here. Looks like some good friendships have developed. Was also pleased to see that Macon is doing such a fine job in policing the riff-raff.

This board reminds me of a billboard outside of a small town in west Texas that says "Home of 2500 really great people and a couple of old soreheads". It seems that even the best of folks have bad day every now & than.

Merry Christmas and best wishes to all.

Brock

Thanks for the advice Texas papaw. Have been monitoring everthing and have been giving them a big round grass hay bale and try to alternate with the squares and seems to be helping. THANKS EVERYONE HELPED OUT ALOT. JHH :)

Latest posts