Another Gun Thread (and yet another poll)

Help Support CattleToday:

Best size of rifle to have

• A little .22

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A .30-30

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Something in between

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Dunno...

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Any size will do IMO

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
So this is a stemmation off of my other gun thread, since, like I said, I hated to interrupt what was already being discussed because it's been such an interesting read already.

Now, the only uses for a gun around where I live is shooting squirrels, pigeons, and a feral cat or two. Not much worry with gun violence around here, as most of the crime with guns is left to the big cities to deal with. So why bother packing iron in the form of a handgun when a rifle will do? I was almost thinking a .22 might suffice, but a gut feeling tells me that I should go with something a bit bigger...especially when a bullet has to go through a thick cow's skull, and other predator threats that have been hanging around for long time now have been coyotes. Not so much wolves and bears and cougars (though there are reported sightings of cougars not too far from here, same with bears), but coyotes tend to know that this ol' farm is a place that they can saunter through as if they own it no problem. And with new calves.... :frowns:

Now I know there was a thread started about a similar thing, but it's been a long time since it was posted on...and from what I remember my God there was a whole variety of which gun was better to the point it was mind boggling. Anyway, what are your thoughts: a little .22 or something bigger like a .30-30 or somewhere in between?

P.S: BTW, the only time I've proven that I've been a good shot was in a highschool archery contest. I never actually shot a rifle, though I did practice a little when the one Dad had was empty...but I doubt if that even counts as shooting a rifle. :oops:

IluvABbeef":gyrb7p3x said:
So why bother packing iron in the form of a handgun when a rifle will do?

I've got pistols. But, if I am going to get into a gun battle, a long iron would be my choice. Swift is good but accuracy is more certain.

For coyotes on down a 223 is hard to beat, ammo should start being easier to get before long. It's just right to reach out for yotes and a little much for dillers.
But why would anyone have just one?

Never underestimate the .22 rim fire. i have killed a lot of deer an hogs with one.

22 mag,.223,.243,30-30, .270
for what you are wanting any of these guns will work with the .270 being on the larger end and probably not needed in you circumstances

They offer several inexpensive models in the .223 and .243 models I prefer the inexpensive youth model breach load for the truck

IMO a lot depends on how good a shot you are and the size of the "game". For example, a .22 projectile dead center on the brain stem or in the heart should drop something promptly. On the other hand, if you can't hit a "quarter" at 10 yards with any type of gun, then I'd go with a larger calibre in a hollow point that will expand on impact. [On a sidebar: I have heard that hired assassins (or mafia hit men) may use a .22 handgun with a silencer at point blank range to the head. On the other hand, I have heard that snipers tend to use .308 ammo for the guaranteed long range "one shot, one kill".]

If you're trying to "stop" something from moving toward you (so you can get a 2nd shot...lol), then I'd go with the biggest calibre you can handle without destroying your shoulder...

A good expanding projectile in the .25" to .45" diameter can do a lot of damage, expecially if the bullet mushrooms and wanders around after it hits tissue.

Guess my philosophy is to "stop the threat" (so it won't keep coming at you and eat you (or) later sue you for whatever reason).

Some morals to the above scenarios:
  • 1. Don't take a .22 to a .45 gun fight.
    2. Never take a knife to a gun fight.
    3. You've got one chance for a shot: Choose your weapon!
    4. You're not the best shot in the world...but...the aggressor is closing fast...

Y'all be careful out there! Y'all hear!

My experience in an all for one rifle would be a 270. However having said this I keep a 22 Hornet in the truck all time,but from time to time I have a bigger caliber rifle just to keep in practice.I'm all the time changing rifles to keep up on practice with them.I dearly love to upend a hog with a big caliber.Like for instance my sporterized 8mm mauser.Most the time I just grab a rifle that I havent shot for a while.I just seem to have a craving for shooting. :lol:

Cal

I forgot to add, if I really want to do damage I load up the Marlin .444 not so great on the distance though but one heck of a wollap.(both ends)

Cal

I prefer a Model 12 Winchester 16 guage over all weapons I own for dispacthing critters to putting game in the freezer. I have a Model 12 by the front door and a Remington side by side by the back with a Browning by the bed all loaded with No.1 Buckshot.
But since your going to only let me have one it would have to be a 22LR ,no matter the pest it can control them and put meat on the table as well.

I have a bolt action 30-0-06 long rifle with scope, a semi-automatic 30-0-06, a 115 year old 7 mm Mauser long rifle, a couple of .22 rifles, a couple of single shot 20 gauge shotguns, a 410 shotgun, and a pump action 16 gauge shotgun. I treat them like a golfer treats his clubs. Every one of them has a purpose they are best for and I try to pick the gun that best suits that particular situation.

IluvABbeef":1d69aym9 said:
So why bother packing iron in the form of a handgun when a rifle will do?

I don't know much about firearms either, but it seems to me like a handgun would be easier to carry around. On the other hand, I've also been told that a rifle is more accurate. I don't know if that is true or not, though. I've only been around rifles.

Anyway, what are your thoughts: a little .22 or something bigger like a .30-30 or somewhere in between?

My gut instinct is that a .22 is not dependable for getting the job done in all situations. Again, my experience is very limited, but I think I would be more inclined to go with a 25-06 or a 30-30.

A .30-30 is a good choice. Once you practice a bit and get used to the feel, it will stop relatively anything. .22's work well if you have lots of time and are a perfect shot. Lots of animals can run a good while on adrenaline. Also, the sound of a shot will likely scare whatever your shooting at, off...so make the first shot count with a good sized round. If you have to put down a neighbours rogue dog, you don't want yelping, multiple shots being fired or the dog making his way home. You will get the odd cow that can't be taken out with a .22, so 30-30 always does the job. .30-06 is also good.

Your first step is to get your CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Certificate, 10.5 hours long, written and practical exams). Once you have that and send it in for your Possession and Acquisition Licence, your good to go and purchase rifles/shotguns and ammunition. :cowboy:

For your situation I would go with a .22 rimfire. Like someone mentioned on here you have to jump through a lot of hoops. You have to take a course(on your dime) to get a FAC and you will need to register your gun to buy ammo(you need to renew every 5 years). The good thing about a .22 is the ammo is cheap and readily available. Don't buy a cheap gun and learn how to hit what you are shooting at.
Remember also that some of the neighbors might get excited if you are blazing away all the time and phone the cops! A .22 is quiet and the bullet doesn't carry all that far.
Get a rifle. You don't want to have to jump through all the extra hoops to get a handgun.

One other thing: This is my personal belief and not "gospel"!
I like coyotes. I think they have a job to do and are very good at it! Yes they can be opportunists if they get a chance to kill a calf, but they also do a good job of keeping the mice, moles and gophers under control. They also do a good job as scavengers, cleaning up anything hit on the road or any old dead cow, horse etc.! They seem to keep my farm cats in check and probably have weeded out most of the dumb ones!
The trick is to not let them get too familiar around the cows when they are calving. A shot close to them every now and then keeps them honest. Just my opinion.

Alberta farmer":3cr8oho9 said:
I like coyotes. I think they have a job to do and are very good at it! Yes they can be opportunists if they get a chance to kill a calf, but they also do a good job of keeping the mice, moles and gophers under control. They also do a good job as scavengers, cleaning up anything hit on the road or any old dead cow, horse etc.! They seem to keep my farm cats in check and probably have weeded out most of the dumb ones!
The trick is to not let them get too familiar around the cows when they are calving. A shot close to them every now and then keeps them honest. Just my opinion.

I totally agree with you I have never lost a calf to yotes, I have lost plenty to dogs. Yotes get blamed for a lot of kills they never make.

Alberta farmer":3ups37uz said:

I don't have much against coyotes either, but I'm just worried about the "what if's" that could happen (due to my inexperience with baby calves), even though you and Caustic say that they won't go after the calves. And yes, I do totally agree with you too, Alberta. They sure are great for cleaning up those old carcasses out in the pasture, bones and all!

Still haven't made a decision yet, so I'd still like to hear some more thoughts on whether a .22 or a .30-30 or .30-06 (or which ever rifle I may end up with) is best in your opinion.

Aaron":25zjrwo1 said:
Your first step is to get your CFSC (Canadian Firearms Safety Certificate, 10.5 hours long, written and practical exams). Once you have that and send it in for your Possession and Acquisition Licence, your good to go and purchase rifles/shotguns and ammunition. :cowboy:

Thanks for the heads-up, Aaron. I kinda figgered I'd have to go through something to get a firearms liscence, but wasn't too familiar which or how. The way I figgered was that somewhere along getting my liscense I'd have to go through the RCMP or something, but maybe that's just my imagination getting in the way.

Shot placement is the key.
So I would say a 22lr or 22mag would be fine as long as you can put the bullet in the right place.
With a small caliber you usaly get only one shot.

Cal

Latest posts