Another grass to identify

Help Support CattleToday:

Hard to tell from the picture, almost resembles some form of foxtail or such but that's a stretch.

Some form of size reference will help folks like myself get a better understanding of size - whether it's a hand, pocket knife, beer can, etc.

According to the app called "Seek", it's Buffelgrass. Also known as dhaman grass, anjan grass, and koluk katai. This is the first time I've ever tried this app on a picture, so I don't know how accurate it is. That said, the app response was faster than normal, suggesting a higher degree of certainty.

Not sure if it's accurate or not, but app on my phone said it was buffel grass/elephant grass as well.

I am only about 30 miles from you and I have never seen that "grass" before. But, in all fairness, due to the dry spring and wet summer, I am seeing weeds and other plants here that I have never seen before. Some of my fields are covered in stuff that has never gown in them before that I recall.

Ssterry, I think I've read that you are a lawyer in bulls gap. I'd wondered if you were part of terry law firm in Greeneville at some point. I agree about the various new species this year. I've had a tremendous amount of nutsedge this year also. And dallisgrass! We've always had some dallisgrass, but this year we were bombarded! I clipped most of it but I did bale about 80 5'x5.5' rolls. Vet told me to mix it with other hay. He explained to me that hay made from dallisgrass would still contain the ergot that causes staggers, but if I'd either offer other hay at the same time or alternate feeding, I'd be fine.

Thank you for the new pics, from the first one I thought the sample was 6-8" tall. I swear I saw two pockets of it on the side of the road yesterday on my way home, funny how you notice things when something is fresh in your mind.

I'd say that wouldn't be too friendly on a horse's mouth.

You're exactly right. The heads are extremely "stiff" (if you've ever used a calf bottle cleaning brush, it's just about exactly the same course-ness/ texture/ stiffness). One other thing I have noticed, location doesn't affect it. Hillsides, bottom land, full sun, in the woods, swampy, dry. Nothing like that affects it. Cattle pick around it until after I bushhog, then they do pick "at" it.

I am only about 30 miles from you and I have never seen that "grass" before. But, in all fairness, due to the dry spring and wet summer, I am seeing weeds and other plants here that I have never seen before. Some of my fields are covered in stuff that has never gown in them before that I recall.
IMO, a large part of these "new grasses, weeds" we are seeing are coming from wild bird seed that a lot of homeowners put out to feed the little bastards.

It is people who spread the undesirable plant seeds around, not the birds, so why do you call the birds little bastards? Without birds, humans would fairly quickly go extinct.

You're right about birdseed being a source. Another terrible problem "weed" for me is Bradford pear trees. I'm surrounded on all 4 sides with subdivisions and I think every house has at least 2 Bradford pear trees. Birds eat the seeds and head straight for my hayfields to poop them out. Had a neighbor who was scattering seeds out a few years ago for the birds. I was talking to him and just asked what all seeds were in there. He handed me the bag - 92% Canadian thistle. Right next to my watermelon field. Ugh.

I paid closer attention yesterday, there's 2 large clumps of the above weed alongside the road a mile or two above my house. Small world, or well traveled bird....

Latest posts