Another formula for feeding hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mycows

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would like to ask you fine folks your opinion. When feeding various kinds of animals it could be said that you give them enough feed so that they eat it all in 20 minutes (example). Now I know that by doing a search here, that there is a formula for feeding hay (feed 3% of their body weight). But could another formula be used? Could I feed hay free choice, or say, enough so that they finish it off in a couple of hours? Assume Highlands are being fed hay and no grain, and so much snow on the ground that there is no pasture available. Thank you...Dennis

I like feeding hay free choice in hayrings. I go out there and drop some bales and forget about it till the next day.

I feed hay free choice. During the winter months or when there is no grass, the cows never run out of hay to eat. I use the bale rings, also

Mycows":jv0rbd83 said:
Now I know that by doing a search here, that there is a formula for feeding hay (feed 3% of their body weight). But could another formula be used? Could I feed hay free choice, or say, enough so that they finish it off in a couple of hours? Assume Highlands are being fed hay and no grain, and so much snow on the ground that there is no pasture available. Thank you...Dennis

It pretty much depends on what kind of animals you're feeding - open cows, bred cows, heifers, weaning calves, bottle calves, etc, and what type of feed you're feeding. That is going to determine how much and when, because you don't want bred cows or heifers to get too fat, or receive too much feed - it will cause calving problems due to excess feed going to the developing calf, as well as being overly conditioned causing problems delivering. By the same token, cows/heifers that are overly fat will have problems breeding. Grass hay has a different protein content than say, alfalfa, and grain also varies in protein content - 3 pounds of oats might be ok, but 3 pounds of corn could be too much. We try to keep feed in front of the weaning calves at all times - be it hay, ground hay and grain, or a combination of the two. Bred animals are fed enough feed to maintain their condition as the pregnancy advances, but not free choice. Any formula can be used, so long as it provides enough feed for the animal to grow, develop, and maintain condition under any given set of circumstances - pregnant, nursing a calf, bred and still growing, weaning calf, etc., but does not allow them to become overly fat. I hope this helps.

I basicly use the 3% method a a standard to go by. My cattle come to a fed bunk to eat. They eat 3% in around 30 minutes. I mostly keep and eye on their body condition and if I think they are showing too much hip or I think they look thin I'll bump up the feed. I also decrease the amount of feed if I think they are getting too fat.

Alan