Another first

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
No matter now long your involved with cattle they you can never really get it 100% figured out. I think I wrote something last year about an ET heifer that had been stepped on. We thought at the time her leg was broken but when we got her to the chute we found an abscess. We drained it gave her antibotics and kept an eye on her, she seemed fine. Two weeks ago I was trailing the heifers to the feed pen, the leg looked swollen, we sorted her and found her leg hot to the touch with a hole in it. We drained it and treated with antibotics. Got her up again yesterday it wasn't any better so we loaded her up for a vet visit. Dr. Hank did surgery the nine had in fact been broken when she was a baby the bone had healed but a piece had died and was sticking out as she grew it started rubbing its way out. Hank had to cut the dead bone off said she would be good as new. Goes to show no matter how long we do this the cows will throw you a curve you have never seen before. Hank said this was not common he had seen it in horses but never a cow.

Gizmom

gizmom":1jydws3f said:
We are truly blessed to have a Vegas good as Hank!

Gizmom

I am curious. How much did the leg surgery on the cow cost?

I am preparing for the day I have to deal with something like this.

Bullitt

Hopefully you will never have this happen, it was a first for us. I haven't got the bill but did ask and he said not over 500. We do 95% of our herd health work but we knew there was more going on with this than we could fix. We suspected a bone fragment but I was schocked to find out it was still attached to the bone, basically new bone grew together but a piece of the broken bone died and was cutting her. I can't let one suffer it was fix or put down and Hank feels she will be sound after removal of the dead bone, the heifer has great genetics so we took a gamble.

Gizmom

The boss picked the heifer up from the vet this morning. Dr. Hank sent me the piece of dead bone that had to be removed. We have seen some strange injuries illness in cattle over the years but this one ranks up in at least the top three.

The good news is the heifer seems fine not limping but still swollen.

Gizmom

Update on the heifer with the broken leg.....see beginning of thread for details, she is bred and doing great. Walks with a bit of a limp but considering all that she went through it is a testament to her maternal genetics that she bred during all of this.

Gizmom

Latest posts