Another Fencing question for beginners

Help Support CattleToday:

kslady

Reaction score
We are getting ready to ready to put up continuous steel fence. Would you use a 5 rail or 6 rail for cattle? I was concerned about them getting their head stuck between the bars of 6 rail, but the salesperson said they wouldn't.

kslady":24mdn5qk said:
We are getting ready to ready to put up continuous steel fence. Would you use a 5 rail or 6 rail for cattle? I was concerned about them getting their head stuck between the bars of 6 rail, but the salesperson said they wouldn't.

If there is a place that cows can stick their heads and not be able to pull it back out, they will find it.

How far are the rails apart?

I've had cows get their heads stuck in the fork of a tree and are too dumb to pick their head up and back out.

Well, you are biting into perhaps the most important element of operating a good spread - good fencing. Lots of variables; and you seem to be half way towards that steel fence. What kind of cows are you going to be working with? Some breeds are just plain calmer than others and stress fences a lot less. How much is weather a factor in rotting or messing up a more traditional (wooden) fence? Is an wood post electric fence, with fewer 'rails' (strands) a reasonable alternative? You can opt for smooth or barbed wire. Solar powered fence chargers are readily available and cost effective in the long run. In saving time and effort, will your soil allow for pressure treated wooden posts or steel fence posts to be driven in by machine? Steel posts with barbed wire with 2 -3 strands of electirc fence? I don't know the details you have to work with but ask your county extension agent for advice. It will be much more objective than a salesperson's pitch. As others have said, a cow is apt to put its head virtually anywhere - particularly if the critter is hungry, thirsty, or in love. What have most of your neighbors done for cattle fencing? Good luck.

Are you actually talking about putting up STEEL PIPE fence or steel wire? No matter - whatever the spacing - cattle WILL get there head between spacing - tighter spacing, calves will get in there - wide spacing, cows will.
If it's not hot, they will put there head thru - whether they get stuck or not??? maybe that's why you want wider spacing?

MikeC":csmefa0g said:
kslady":csmefa0g said:

If there is a place that cows can stick their heads and not be able to pull it back out, they will find it.

How far are the rails apart?

I've had cows get their heads stuck in the fork of a tree and are too dumb to pick their head up and back out.

And they sure go nuts when you have to use the chain saw to get them out.

I had a Brangus cow do that last year and I thought she was going to tear her head off trying to get out of the fork.

kslady":355b138b said:

What is the spacing difference between the two? Although we generally use continuous fencing only for the horse runs (cattle pens are pipe/guard rail fences), I would probably go with the 6 rail - it's higher and provides a better determent as far as trying to jump the fence is concerned.

Latest posts