Another electric fence gate question

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
I need to make a gate in my electric fence. Looked at the bungee type, which looked good, but the instructions have an undergate wire and insulators, etc. My question is, can't I just terminate two ends of the fence (on either side of the gate), then hook the bungee between them to complete the circuit? Or even just use one of those handles with the same turbo wire that I am using for the fence? Might sound like a dumb question but I am new to the electric fence game. Also, running a single wire, how high would you suggest I put it for bulls (Im thinkin about nose high)? It's a 5 wire barbed wire fence but I just want to put this up for a little extra insurance as there may be cows up against that fence later. Thanks.

I don;t like using the bungee gates as feeds/switches for the fence further along. For those types of situations I use 12 1/2 gauge just like the rest of the fence. The end away from the charger is connected directly to the fence and the opposite end has a handle. When it's open, the gate and the fence past the gate is cold, only is hot when it's connected at the opposite (charger) end.

I do the same as dun said. Works fine. The only reason you'd need an underground wire would be to keep the fence wire hot on both sides of the gate whether it was open or closed which could be desirable and necessary in some situations.

Never tried the bungee, but judging from what dun said the underground 12.5 gauge wire would be mandatory to make a good circuit because of the smaller gauge wire in the bungee.

I agree with the above.

Relative to hot wire for bulls.

I use two hot wires. One about where you mentioned say mid height of the fence.

the other is on top of the fence. rationale is that if the bull puts his head over the fence and sees something that would incline him to cross the fence then having his head over the fence he will follow his head and either jump or just push. Hot wire at the top slows down the tendency to put the head over the fence.

When it comes to bulls nothing much is guaranteed. I have had good luck with four strands of barb and two high tensile hot wires.

I wasn't able to find bungee cord when I went to build a couple of wide gates so I used polyrope. It doesn't seem to have any problem carrying the load across the opening.

These gates are rarely opened and share a fence line with the neighbors nasty Longhorns so I wanted to make sure they were not the weak link in a five wire HT electric fence. The handles were cheap ($1.99) a piece at Powerflex Fence.

I wired the gate like a switch (like Dun mentioned). The top wire is the switch. As soon as I disconnect it ,the rest of the gate goes dead along with the next section of fence. The second wire is the continuation of a continuous ground system.

Here's a photo. Knersie has already made fun of my work so others are welcome to take their best shot. :)

gate.jpg

I also hung one of these on the fence close to the entry gate. At a glance (coming or going), I can tell that the fence is hot.

flash.jpg

Latest posts