Another Dry TX ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
Last week one of my friends went to Rockport TX and told me that it was very dry and thin cows there. Also said cotton was being picked. Anyone in the areas that are so in need of feed using Gin Trash? It makes a great feed and can really help get you over a hump. Just a thought and I wondered about it.

jedstivers":3udymzmp said:
Last week one of my friends went to Rockport TX and told me that it was very dry and thin cows there. Also said cotton was being picked. Anyone in the areas that are so in need of feed using Gin Trash? It makes a great feed and can really help get you over a hump. Just a thought and I wondered about it.

Jed the brokers usually buy up all the gin trash as quick as possible and then it will be $70-80 a ton. But you're giht...it does do a good job especially if it's been ground....a little dusty but cattle eat it like candy and get some whole cottonseed in the process.

TexasBred":e9wb0og7 said:
jedstivers":e9wb0og7 said:

Jed the brokers usually buy up all the gin trash as quick as possible and then it will be $70-80 a ton. But you're giht...it does do a good job especially if it's been ground....a little dusty but cattle eat it like candy and get some whole cottonseed in the process.
I had no idea brokers were controlling it, is it used for anything beside feed. Here it is given away if you are a gin customer if not they charge only for loading, all that is used here is for building land up. Some is sent to the hills as feed and I use it as feed and to rebuild cut spots or hills

Jed lots of brokers are buying it up.. The sell a lot to feed lot operators. Nobody used it in any form or fashion until about 8-10 years ago. The first I saw was "real gin trash"....whole bolls, long stings of cotton and stems. Now they mostly grind it. I can remember when most gins had an area outside the gin where they blew all the trash and burned it. It would smolder and burn for weeks. But a pretty hot item now during times of drought. Most of it will carry a crude protein gurantee of about 8-9%.

Latest posts