Another dead deer

Help Support CattleToday:

He has passed now but several years ago I had a 1st cousin who ran coyotes with Russian Wolfhound-Greyhound cross.
That they were not pets in an understatement.

So last night the dogs barked and barked. Wife said they were barking at 3:00 in the morning. At 6:30 she went out with a flashlight. Came back and said she saw a coyote run off. When I went out to feed at daylight I let the dogs out and they ran to the west field. I walked out there to see what was up. Blood and gore all over the place. A few remaining deer parts but not many. Didn't see any cat tracks just coyotes. Left a message with the neighbor. He came over this afternoon. We back tracked the attack. It looks like coyotes attacked a deer (spring fawn) on the east side of the house (60-70 feet from the house). At one point the deer was in the backyard maybe 30 feet from the house. Lots of blood there. Found where they finally took the deer down by the corner of the shop. There is a trail where they drug the deer eating on it. The only thing left was the portion of the spine with some ribs attached. That was 200 feet from the kill site. They ate the whole deer. Must have been half a dozen of them to be able to eat that much.
Pic #1 The final kill site
Pic#2 The trail where they drug the deer. That sticking up to the right of the dogs is the spine and ribs.
Pic#3 At the kill site I turned and took a picture of the house. That is how close this was and this is about the farthest point in the whole attack from the house.

View attachment 24546View attachment 24547View attachment 24548
Doesn't take many, they gorge, go of aways dig a hole and regurgitate and repeat.