Another day, another branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
It is branding season here. I went to one on Saturday with about 300 calves. A small one today with 150. Tomorrow is about 300. That many again on Thursday. The one they have scheduled for Friday is a smaller one (100+/-). I am sure there must be one on Saturday nobody has told me yet. Them on Sunday afternoon it is around 250 calves. The one on Sunday the man said to me, "I know it is Easter Sunday but these pairs have to go to a BLM permit on Monday." All of these are pretty much the same group of neighbors all helping each other. Everyone knows what they are doing and things go pretty quick.

I now have a PhD in branding irons and ear tags. The branding I went to today had 4 different irons. Each brand went to a calf with a specific ear tag. Red, blue, oh and the yellow tags it depended on which ear it was in. To help they have the handles and irons painted to match the color of the ear tags. Same family branding tomorrow. Probably the same branding irons and ear tag issue. I think I have this. My closest neighbor said if in doubt go with blue (his brand).

it is fun when you have a good crew. I have never been to a huge branding, the most is maybe 60 or 70, but I have also been on the other end - one one damn animal takes all day, wears out a half dozen horses and 4 people get injured. :lol2: