Another calf thread...

Help Support CattleToday:

Rhune

Reaction score
Incoming noob story/quesion. Read at your own risk.

Went to feed my cows today and the calf count came up 1 short. The calf missing was born two days ago. Its been very cold here in Oregon, being worried I went looking for it. Found it in a nearby ditch.

The calf seemed lethargic. I couldn't get it to stand up. However, it was warm, dry, wet mouth, clear eyes didn't see anything strange leaking out either end. After a few minutes, I finally got it to get to its feet. This was a change from the previous morning, when it got up and ran from me as I approached it. It finally let out a few squawks. Mom came over, it appeared to nurse well, wagged its tail.

Is this normal? Did i just wake it up from some deep sleep, or is this the sign of something serious developing?

As always, thanks in advance :)

2 days old?
Mama probably put it in that ditch to hide it. and Yes, they sleep a lot and they sleep soundly at that age.

As for that extreme cold and it's effects--I can't help ya there--I'm too far south.

I agree with greybeard. If it started nursing when the cow got there, and was switching it's tail while nursing, it's probably fine.

I agree, It seems when I'm trying to Band and or Ear tag them they are never in that mode. LOL. When mama lays them down in their first week or so of life, they stay put unless you really spook them then they bolt. B&G

Perfectly normal for a calf that age.
Couldn't count the number of times I've gone to a calf, lifted him to his feet (except his feet are still folded up and don't touch the ground) and have to hold him up for about two minutes before he decides he's awake, puts his weight on his feet and starts walking (or runs back to mum). Hot sunny mornings you can guarantee all your day-old calves will be floppy puddles.

A note of caution, if they jump up and bolt they can run through 5 barbed wire fences and run at least a quarter mile till they find somewhere to lay down and feel hidden.

Latest posts