Another bull to tear up - this time Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Please tear this bull up... He's a registered Brangus coming 5 years old. There is a rather long story behind his being kept:

flame121408.jpg

brangusflash.jpg

Does he get around ok? If so ,he looks like a great bull to me, would look even better in my pasture.

As for the bull, I like to look at grassfed cattle, and I can see he's pigging out nicely on grain there.. we never feed grain, so we like to see what the real animal looks like... we want to see muscles under the skin rather than a completely smooth hide... our preference though

Nesikep":34mguiuy said:
As for the bull, I like to look at grassfed cattle, and I can see he's pigging out nicely on grain there.. we never feed grain, so we like to see what the real animal looks like... we want to see muscles under the skin rather than a completely smooth hide... our preference though

He's grassfed. Only reason for the feed on the ground was to let my kids pet the donkey in the background. Could count on one hand how many times he's been given feed.

The pics were taken around 70 degrees. He's got some bigens. He has no problems getting around. In fact when the snow hit last week he was running and playing in it.

I like him. What strikes me is that he doesn't have that crazy look in his eyes that I am accustomed to with brangus. He actually looks gentle.

Other than the scrotal extension, that's a real nice bull!!! Certainly can't be pegged for a funnel butt :) What did you give for him?

Looks nice, but are his feet ok? May just be the way he's standing or something but he looks flat footed. With nuts like that I don't guess you have to worry about him running off. :lol:

Jogeephus":14nr1moy said:
What strikes me is that he doesn't have that crazy look in his eyes that I am accustomed to with brangus.

???? They are the calmest cattle in the pasture, never try to bust fence etc. Nothing like my neighbors angus bull. No telling where he'll be from day to day. No one in the county wants their cows bred to an angus and this guy keeps on buying them. Same story with each one too.

Cypress his low hanging jewels would collide with prickly pear in these parts. He'd be allright in the pasture but when he hit the brush and escarpments, he's liable to get into some needles.

cypressfarms":1xcz2qws said:
Nesikep":1xcz2qws said:

He's grassfed. Only reason for the feed on the ground was to let my kids pet the donkey in the background. Could count on one hand how many times he's been given feed.

The pics were taken around 70 degrees. He's got some bigens. He has no problems getting around. In fact when the snow hit last week he was running and playing in it.
from the looks of em would have been 150 degrees, he's got a long neck on his scrotum. but his nutts aint to big, really, really, like too have seen his parents before i retained any heifers "unbalanced or problem udders" nice sheath ... he is a good looking brangus.............id have to invent me a bovine jock strap. id be afraid he would crush em getting up :eek:

The story behind the story:

This bull was born Jan 2004. I bought him as a long yearling for $1500. I saw his moma and sire on the Brangus farm that I bought him from. Both of his parents were excellent specimens phenotypically, and this bulls epd's are very good - low birthweight. From looking at his parents, I would have no trouble retaining heifers. I posted a picture of him as a yearling, and he earned the nickname "hatchett butt". Everyone on the board seemed to think that he should be culled, and would never be a "good" bull. I took a lot of flack about this bull on CT. I still joke about it from time to time.

In late 2006 my herd took a change, and I found myself with predominately brangus cows. At that point, I needed a different breed bull to keep hybrid vigor going (I'm strictly a commercial cow/calf person). My dad had been with me when we picked the bull out, and had always like him. It was an easy out for me - I brought the bull to my dad's to let him service the cows there. Since then, this bull has filled out remarkably well. To date he has sired over 100 calves (3 calf crops) and not one lost calf, yes zero calves lost to varying cows. All calves have been in the 60 to 80 pound range with a couple of exceptions. All have looked really nice, weaning around a 550 pound average (205 days).This year I have kept a couple of heifers from him to see how they do. This bull has never been on a "feed" regiment like most bull "suppliers" have, he's always been on grass.

So I guess the question is with a slow maturing breed, how much creedence can be given to the phenotype of a bull and at what age? This bull has grown nicely, filling in the hatchett butt and losing a good bit of the loose sheath that he had. If I made a decision to keep/cull as a yearling, I would have culled him. Knowing his parents, I wanted to see how he would do. In my opinion, he's matured really nicely. He's one of the calmest bulls I've been around, and I can honestly say that I'm glad I kept him. If he'd been fed heavily as a calf, he would have obviously filled in, knowing his genetic capability now.

Here's a pic of him as a yearling:

hatchettasyearling.jpg

I was hoping to hear the story. I think you did good following your intuition, even though there is a lot of experience AND good advice on this site,sometimes its a little too nitpicky. I persnally didnt see a darn thing wrong with him as a yearling.

that is 1 goodlooking bull.he is muscled an nice an thick.an he has matured very nicely.you never know what bull or cow is gonna look like till they mature.

we had a bull who looked almost identical, and he was always calm and didnt have that evil look....but then one night he busted through our neighbors fence and was after his heifers... and he got cut up pretty bad if you know what i mean..so we had to sale him.

but that one is very nice, just watch him

Latest posts