Another bull to share opinions on

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd say he's overall a middle of the road kind of bull. If like to see a little heavier bone and I'd like to see him cover his tracks a little better. If he's got got good prrformance and the lineage your looking for he should do a good job.

Not trying to be mean but that bull has bad hips, or possibly a hock injury. He throws his rear legs forward. Most people didn't grow up at the Rodeo like me, so I can understand how you may not notice it. Watch the bulls like Stone Sober when they leave the arena. The entire animal is in harmony, the locomotion is practically liquid, and the rear legs falls into the spot recently vacated by the front hoof without effort.

He lacks some masculinity and has some holes in his EPD's that you could drive a truck through..-25 $EN would send me running fast and his calving ease is poor.

on the plus side he's smooth , has a ton of growth, and great docility. I am ambivalent on how how moves. It ain't great for sure.

Overall he isn't a bad bull in my opinion. Like all there are some things you would like to improve. It would depend on what type of cows I had and what their weaknesses and strengths were on whether I would use him. I was raised in a rodeo arena also. A rodeo bull typically will move different than a beef type bull as they are made different. So hard to compare the movement of the two types. I like his movement a lot better than I do that of SAV Final Answer 0035 on the video on the same page as this bull's video was on. He has some issues that concern me for sure.

Following are a few photos of his offspring.

I have 8 head confirmed safe to 1441 this year so hopefully his calves will work out for us. 3way I did not use this bull on heifers I used him on cows and if a cow can't handle a 3.1 birthweigh epd there is a problem with the cow. As far as a hole big enough to drive a truck through I just can't see it. A hole for a VW beetle maybe but not a truck. I will concede that the EN number is a concern, I did keep it in mind when selecting which cows to pair him up with. I don't see his lacking masculinity, I went back and looked at the video again, he looks young in the video but just can't see where your saying he isn't masculine. I haven't seen a video yet that really shows how a bull moves, but then I feel the same way about the video sales, it gives you an idea but there is just something missing in a video for me.

Gizmom

There is a great deal missing in both videos and pics. I don't like buying or selling through pics or videos.

I have 8 head confirmed safe to 1441 this year so hopefully his calves will work out for us. 3way I did not use this bull on heifers I used him on cows and if a cow can't handle a 3.1 birthweigh epd there is a problem with the cow. As far as a hole big enough to drive a truck through I just can't see it. A hole for a VW beetle maybe but not a truck. I will concede that the EN number is a concern, I did keep it in mind when selecting which cows to pair him up with. I don't see his lacking masculinity, I went back and looked at the video again, he looks young in the video but just can't see where your saying he isn't masculine. I haven't seen a video yet that really shows how a bull moves, but then I feel the same way about the video sales, it gives you an idea but there is just something missing in a video for me.

Gizmom[/quote]

The $EN(you really could drive a truck thru that one). was the really big one for me. The 2's for calving ease bother me but I raise cattle where 8 is avg for calving ease. I look at a lot of Angus EPD's when selecting bulls to make balancers with so I guess I should not let some of those numbers influence me so much.
His offspring look real good. I hope you do as well with yours. You definitely have good cows to use him on.

I like the bull- unfortunate he can't cover his tracks bc otherwise pretty nice bull.

He walks like he is stifled. Once he moves out, his stride gets shorter on the back legs. The stifle is like a knee, and it gets fixed or frozen, and the further they push it forward, the more it hurts.

It seems they are speeding up his video midway while he is walking, or is it just the music?

Chuckie":3hhcxq6n said:
He walks like he is stifled. Once he moves out, his stride gets shorter on the back legs. The stifle is like a knee, and it gets fixed or frozen, and the further they push it forward, the more it hurts.

It seems they are speeding up his video midway while he is walking, or is it just the music?

Wow there's a novel concept. A woman who actually knows something about cattle offering a well thought out, and intelligent response. FWIW there are some incredible women on this forum who I have tremendous respect for. Hillsdown, Chuckie, Gizmom, Kathie, Firesweep, and Chippie just to name a few...........the rest of you know who you are.

BTW branguscowgirl you probably belong on that list despite the fact that you have pizz poor taste in friends.

elkwc":120eet4m said:
Overall he isn't a bad bull in my opinion. Like all there are some things you would like to improve. It would depend on what type of cows I had and what their weaknesses and strengths were on whether I would use him. I was raised in a rodeo arena also. A rodeo bull typically will move different than a beef type bull as they are made different. So hard to compare the movement of the two types. I like his movement a lot better than I do that of SAV Final Answer 0035 on the video on the same page as this bull's video was on. He has some issues that concern me for sure.

Remember that ole song, "...I can't even pay my PRCA dues..." Good gravy my old man wore that out when we were on the road between Texas to Alabama in the 70's and 80's.

Stop by for a visit anytime if you want to see a polled Hereford that moves like Stone Sober. Watching him accelerate into a 25mph sprint to corner and cover a cow will bring a tear to your eye.

JWBrahman":1dkctaqn said:
elkwc":1dkctaqn said:

Remember that ole song, "...I can't even pay my PRCA dues..." Good gravy my old man wore that out when we were on the road between Texas to Alabama in the 70's and 80's.

Stop by for a visit anytime if you want to see a polled Hereford that moves like Stone Sober. Watching him accelerate into a 25mph sprint to corner and cover a cow will bring a tear to your eye.

JW I spent my youth on large ranches in NE NM and the Texas Panhandle. I know the type of bull you are talking about. The same type that I always liked. The type that could breed 20-5 cows with a stocking rate of 50-65 acres per cow and in rough country. With that being said I've learned as I've got more mature that there are many of the more muscular, somewhat stockier made animals that sire profitable progeny all the way to the rail. This type don't travel as smoothly as Stone Sober or those built like him. I know of a Red Angus herd that is a prime example. The cattle are shorter, very muscular but perform well in all aspects of the industry and have longevity. They stay sound also. They travel more like this bull and the previous one. I've heard people say they won't stay sound but they have. It is like saying a short, heavier built person should stride like a tall, slender person. It isn't practical. Personally I didn't see anything that concerns me greatly. And I was a horse shoer for many years also. Was raised to study the feet, legs, and body structure before I looked at anything else on a cow or horse. We all have our own opinions and most are formed by previous experience. I have been around the feedlot end of the business and know somewhat what it takes to be profitable in that end. My BIL has fed cattle for over 35 years. I know i would enjoy seeing your cattle and talking to you. I imagine we both prefer a lot of the same type of animal. Many of the popular Polled Herefords I see today are getting too short and compact for my likes. I see problems in them that I didn't see in this bull. Again personal preference.

elkwc JW I spent my youth on large ranches in NE NM and the Texas Panhandle. I know the type of bull you are talking about. The same type that I always liked. The type that could breed 20-5 cows with a stocking rate of 50-65 acres per cow and in rough country. With that being said I've learned as I've got more mature that there are many of the more muscular said:
It may just be my internet connection, my computer, or even youtube when I was watching. There is no way I would purchase cattle just by looking at a photo or video. A long winded old fart like me feels cheated if I don't get to hold you up with two hours of tall tales before the transaction is completed. These discussions are enjoyable to me because I learn a lot and don't get too worked up. The guys and gals who aggravate me the most because they do things different from me (wrong) are the one's who usually make me think the most. I like reading your posts, you know exactly what you are looking for in your cattle. Same thing as me so you must be brilliant. haha

I really do like his offspring better than I like him. As some have expressed, I see a hitch in his gettalong. Could be an injury, or could be structural. Hard to tell from a video. I have found it best to reserve judgement based solely on videos and photos. (I do realize when purchasing semen, that, and EPD's may be all we have to go on.) I have the same delima myself choosing a Brangus bull. I have found that searching out like breeders with his offspring to be very helpful. If they do not have financial interest in the bull, they can be very honest about what they like and don't like about the calves.

BTW branguscowgirl you probably belong on that list despite the fact that you have pizz poor taste in friends.
This is not grade school 3-way, since when is it right to judge an individuals character by who they are nice to...... :tiphat: I REALLY do try to be a friend to EVERYONE.

Latest posts