Another Bull Question - Overwinter Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies to my earlier behaviour question.

We plan to be separating our bull and 3 ~7month old bull calves into a separate pen ~120 feet square with cover. This area will be fenced with panels so no (or should I say limited) opportunity for them to escape. Is it ok to have them accross the panel from the females? I understand it is best for them to be separated and out of sight from the girls but the approach I outline gives them cover during more sever weather.

GaryDG":14stj6dp said:
We plan to be separating our bull and 3 ~7month old bull calves into a separate pen ~120 feet square with cover. This area will be fenced with panels so no (or should I say limited) opportunity for them to escape. Is it ok to have them accross the panel from the females? I understand it is best for them to be separated and out of sight from the girls but the approach I outline gives them cover during more sever weather.

Ideally, there should be more distance between the two - especially if you are planning on returning the weaning heifers to this pasture once they are weaned. I would have some serious misgivings about penning bulls using panels - depending on what kind of panels, how heavy, and how you're going to put them up. I would add an interior strand (maybe 8" inside the panels), probably two, of hot wire. I would also make sure it's hot enough to light 'em up, too! I would also suggest keeping a pretty close eye on the bulls, because the younger ones cannot compete with an older animal for food should he decide he doesn't want them eating. It sounds ridiculous, but it has been known to happen. I hope this helps, and good luck!

The weaned heifers will be returned (after 4-5 weeks of post weaning conditioning) to the same pasture as their mom's.

Concerning the bull and bull calves. We would use the heavy duty Powder River panels. I will follow mss's advice on the hotwire. We plan on using a round feeder for the bull & bull calves. While we would keep an eye on them it is possible to partition the bull from the bull calves (in the same area we had intended for both) and let them share a round feeder (using the round feeder as a "central panel" or alternatively get another feeder. This approach may exceed our panel capacity, however. I would need to confirm if we could do this partiton with our existing panels. If we were to do so what would be the approximate allocation of the 1/3 acre between the Bull and the bull calves.

Thanks again!!

GaryDG":32jth9ag said:
We would use the heavy duty Powder River panels.

Are you planning on any type of stabilization for the panels, such as t-posts driven at each adjoining panel, or drilling holes for wooden posts every so many feet? If not, I would certainly suggest you think about it.

We plan on using a round feeder for the bull & bull calves. While we would keep an eye on them it is possible to partition the bull from the bull calves (in the same area we had intended for both) and let them share a round feeder (using the round feeder as a "central panel" or alternatively get another feeder. This approach may exceed our panel capacity, however. I would need to confirm if we could do this partiton with our existing panels. If we were to do so what would be the approximate allocation of the 1/3 acre between the Bull and the bull calves.

Another possibility is that, once they get used to the hot wire, you could probably section off the pen using a strand or two of that.

Thanks again!!

No problem.

Latest posts