Another Branding Question

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
From the "Dumb Question" thread I suddenly thought of yet another question about branding to ask.

Is it mandatory that a breeding herd be branded? I know it differs from state to state and province to province, but since I'm asking exclusively those who have cows and raise calves up to either weaning stage or yearling, depending on the operation in itself, do you think that branding should be or is mandatory? Or is it only for those with large 50++ cow herds or those who send their animals on community pasture or, better yet, rents land to graze some of his/her cows with some other from another place?

I hope my question makes sense, because the why's of branding gets my curiousity as well.

For a while, Dad didn't brand anything, mainly due to no manpower. So not only didn't he brand, he didn't castrate, or vaccinate. It didn't make a noticeable difference at the sale barn in this area back then, though it might now. Here in Wyoming, it is not mandatory (unless running at large/on public land). I brand, vaccinate, and castrate (bands) in one shot at about 2-3 months. I know my animals, if they get out into another herd, I know which ones are mine by sight. But the last year that Dad didn't brand, 3 of his cows ended up with the neighbors brand. I got them back without issue, but I feel better having a brand on them. There was one year I didn't brand, just branded the replacements as yearlings. But in my opinion, you're gonna vac, castrate, maybe eartag, whatever,....you may as well brand while you have them gathered up.

Everybody has focused on "holding" brands, or the brand registered by the ranch which proves ownership. And required by many of the Western states as has been said. But some breeders also use an individual number brand for the animal's id. Ear tags can get lost or become illegible. To read an ear tattoo, you usually have to get the animal into a chute. But a big number brand is both permanent and readable from a distance. Corriente cattle are much more likely to be branded than tattooed for an individual id required for registration. And some other breeds too.

the BBU assoc requires that all reg cattle be branded.an that is in their by laws.i have to brand my calves when i reg them.

Okay, so that's for you folks down in the states...but now I'm wondering about up here in Canada. Randi, HD, Rockridge, Aaron, or any other Canucks, do you folks have any answer to the "option" of branding?

BTW, thanks for the info from you three. :)

AB I have almost a 100 (cow calf) head but will be considerably less within the next month, we have a registered brand but do not use it. It is not mandatory and our cattle our on our land until sold. Whomever buys them can place their own brand on them at that time. Ours do however get a tattoo at birth as well as the rfid tag with a herd tag as well . After speaking to many purebred breeders I have found that a lot have opted out of branding for management as well as carcass reasons ..However if you have community pasture leases it is mandatory.

I really think that the implant might be the best technology out there that we can utilize but still need more data and for it to become cost relative.

I should add that the purebreds come with papers as well.

Do I think branding should be mandatory NO I think there are better ways like the permanent implant under the skin. It also was ruled in superior court in Canada that branding does not mean anything as far as ownership .I have to look this up again unless it has been over ruled since..This was 4 or 5 years ago and you do still need to show your bill of sale when selling an animal with a or many brands other than yours.

I will have to do a search for it but don't feel like it right now ,,sorry.

It is rare for ranch/holding brands to be registered/used in Ontario, as the province doesn't have open range laws. Gave the Ontario Cattlemen's Assoc. secretary quite a shock a number of years back when I asked for the forms to register a brand (still haven't gotten around to it). I have a lot of respect for people who brand their cattle. It shows a lot of pride in ownership and is a handy tool to keep rustlers at bay. It's a sight to see pen after pen of good one-iron cattle come through a ring. I only know of one fellow in our area that brands his cattle. When I get around to doing it, I think I would opt for freeze branding over hot-iron branding.

I think for all community pastures, it should be a definite must. If anyone decided to load up a dozen head or so one night and they are not branded, you can pretty well kiss that potential income goodbye.

In Ontario, if cattle are stolen, you supposed to call multiple organizations with a description, including the cops. What would I tell them? "Yeah, they stole 20, 800 pound Hereford yearlings with orange tags in their left ear." Wonder how many cattle fit that description in the province? Rather than say the same thing, but with a "BAR 9" rib brand included in the statement. Which is more likely to get your cattle back and catch the thieves? :cowboy:

IluvABbeef":3tth6iyn said:
From the "Dumb Question" thread I suddenly thought of yet another question about branding to ask.

Is it mandatory that a breeding herd be branded? I know it differs from state to state and province to province, but since I'm asking exclusively those who have cows and raise calves up to either weaning stage or yearling, depending on the operation in itself, do you think that branding should be or is mandatory? Or is it only for those with large 50++ cow herds or those who send their animals on community pasture or, better yet, rents land to graze some of his/her cows with some other from another place?

I hope my question makes sense, because the why's of branding gets my curiousity as well.

When I read all the responses, I did not see answews to all your questions in a simple response - so here you go:

1. Is it mandatory that a breeding herd be branded? In Canada - by law - NO - by association or land owner -
perhaps - but not by law.

2. Do you think that branding should be or is mandatory?
You created two questions in one

Do I think branding should be mandatory?

In Canada - I do not give one hoot or hooler - do as you see fit.

Do I think it is mandatory?

In Canada it is not by law mandatory to brand a cow if you own it - there may be association rules that
demand it - but that is very different from a law that demands it

3, Or is it only for those with large 50++ cow herds or those who send their animals on community pasture or, better yet, rents land to graze some of his/her cows with some other from another place?

This huge run on question - has a simple answer - Yes - you are correct - but it is NOT law that I know of - it
is only an asscoaition requirement, or land owner requirement - you can own cattle with no brand - you just
cannot tell them apart easily if they lose that tag.

All of the above being said - I am no law man - and therefore could be giving you bad info - although I do not think I am.

Now - why this interest in brands? I am just being nosey :D You could have got all of this in about two minutes by calling your local cattle association rep.

Cheers

Bez+

Thanks for all the info, I was just wondering because of all the variation in how folks did their identification with their cattle. More so because a lot of the cattle (except dairy) I see around here are mostly branded. And I always wondered if it had something to do with just a better means of identification, or if it was solely for the purpose of the ability to have cattle on community pasture, or like my boss does, rents land and gets permission to put some of his cows/heifers in with another owner's stock.

Now, since my plans are obviously to purchase some cows, I just wonder if it's feasible to register a brand, or if it's just a waste of red tape and time if I'm just going to have the cattle around home and choose not to send some out to a community pasture (which is a high chance I won't). Rustling is unheard of around here, but not cattle getting out.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this branding thing. :? :cowboy:

I am reluctant to give advice for another country;......but if you are going to buy 200 - 300 cows over time from a variety of different sources and transport them to a big range they have never seen before, I think branding them before turning them loose would be a good precaution.

Latest posts