Another Birth Weight Question

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
Birth weights are cussed and discussed regularly, I have a question that seems to get varied responses and I would like your thoughts.
Embryo transfers seem to have higher birth weights. Makes sense when you think about it, they are about 7 days old when implanted and for some reason seem to regularly go over due a bit. Stands to reason that these birth weights would be higher. So, if you are looking at a bull that was an ET would you take that in consideration when evaluating his birth weight??
Where do you draw the line? If an ET has genetics that are historically small calving but his birth weight is higher, would you consider him as a breeder?

Since an ET calf wasn't carried by his natural dam I don't think you can pay much attention to their actual BW. The cow's ability of inability to limit prenatal growth plays too big a role in my opinion.

That's where EPDs come into play. They are much more reliable in protecting an animal's breeding potential than his own performance.

So, what I hear you saying is that you would not be afraid to purchase a bull (ET) that had a high birth weight as long as his genetics met your needs.

CKC1586":22hj2y5r said:
So, what I hear you saying is that you would not be afraid to purchase a bull (ET) that had a high birth weight as long as his genetics met your needs.

I wouldn't be. But it still depends on how high high is.

CKC1586":10mf0xef said:

Like Dun said, how high is high? But if I can look at an Angus bull's pedigree and see that he doesn't have a bunch of 10 lb BW EPDs in his pedigree, his own BW wouldn't especially bother me.

dun":3w18uien said:
CKC1586":3w18uien said:

I wouldn't be. But it still depends on how high high is.

For sure. I agree with you dun. This has been an odd year with higher than normal birth weights on March calves, this seems to have happened across many breeds in our area. One of my mentors and I were having the discussion and he was planning on banding some bull calves that are outside his normal tolerance, there is one little guy that was an ET and weighed in at 120# and he is beautiful. I think he is going to the steer pen, I was questioning since his genetics suggest he should be a good calver, is it really a risk to use him. I have seen some heavy birth weight bulls (ETs) that do a fine job.

Most my spring calves were big this year. That's a tough call. I have one my own self I'm undecided on for the same reason.

Latest posts