Another big hog

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
This is the biggest I've ever recorded. I've shot bigger, I'm sure, but never weighed them so they don't really count.

Wednesday morning I spotted this big boy meandering across my neighbor's pasture from 600 yards away. I thought, I should grab my 243, jump in the truck and go down to the county road to intercept him before he crosses the county road. So... that's what I did.

I parked behind a hedge of green briar. The wind was in my favor. I saw him going parallel to the road and I knew where he was headed so I ran 200 feet down the county road, hopped the fence, and waited. He wandered in and out of some tall goat weed and at 60 yards, I made him famous.
biggrin.gif

I drug him out with my ATV, got the tractor, and weighed him. 215 pounds. Many years ago we did trap a 250 pounder. We are starting to see more and more big hogs, too. My neighbor up the road came and got him, thankful for the meat.

It's hard to tell from the angle on the pic with the dogs, but the hog was 20" thick - the height of my knees.

y4m7WoLJQ-kp3Hy3uGV5pPbZBxd_33WmTj4mKde1mQ2kN2Gr8jQxl3hwHbORm5k_PCSsYuEFzacF4QSguwulEhhifiRFbVlV9FSMzU_mOgbJX4GfsxVFlDPket9jf7cwCUfL94f78ImjX9vD3Hju7XxQ8qhekj9rH9ok1Zq1rBos_vy5plHRbXQgXxbQ5mFn0RH

y4mx8grE-e46Pp8rcgo9bJ8ymIWks-pyHwZghpsKZHqQBYSDRWhy51CMKjClVeXA8ZC6gQvzJbk-JAVuofGdSZvrNgIY8dUFG9oG2aBSvMdViTnyPQKEadMvrXnHh6-K0c01TJZOL5MK9xWIM5Z6RE1YgGgcfxsS43_eEQG3pvV3go1r9uz_irGQIE-AKZInMwF

y4mt0mPtj6Sehd3sYsWNrpaKSxGjzK8d_A_dsUkULRC-zj-0ar_yJuRdioTWl3v0PSaHGdKvwddAvkNo0KKMfFRwNC302KvU40DjCzNqlnCxiSjdf2vxowOfhUGFYU3dNYU186VyziiSEcUKonS0rdphLzuaQhE_54aLcQSp-Yq-gj59gCRS2CQu3JGPU-nt7cV

This is the biggest I've ever recorded. I've shot bigger, I'm sure, but never weighed them so they don't really count.

Wednesday morning I spotted this big boy meandering across my neighbor's pasture from 600 yards away. I thought, I should grab my 243, jump in the truck and go down to the county road to intercept him before he crosses the county road. So... that's what I did.

I parked behind a hedge of green briar. The wind was in my favor. I saw him going parallel to the road and I knew where he was headed so I ran 200 feet down the county road, hopped the fence, and waited. He wandered in and out of some tall goat weed and at 60 yards, I made him famous.
biggrin.gif

I drug him out with my ATV, got the tractor, and weighed him. 215 pounds. Many years ago we did trap a 250 pounder. We are starting to see more and more big hogs, too. My neighbor up the road came and got him, thankful for the meat.

It's hard to tell from the angle on the pic with the dogs, but the hog was 20" thick - the height of my knees.

y4m7WoLJQ-kp3Hy3uGV5pPbZBxd_33WmTj4mKde1mQ2kN2Gr8jQxl3hwHbORm5k_PCSsYuEFzacF4QSguwulEhhifiRFbVlV9FSMzU_mOgbJX4GfsxVFlDPket9jf7cwCUfL94f78ImjX9vD3Hju7XxQ8qhekj9rH9ok1Zq1rBos_vy5plHRbXQgXxbQ5mFn0RH

y4mx8grE-e46Pp8rcgo9bJ8ymIWks-pyHwZghpsKZHqQBYSDRWhy51CMKjClVeXA8ZC6gQvzJbk-JAVuofGdSZvrNgIY8dUFG9oG2aBSvMdViTnyPQKEadMvrXnHh6-K0c01TJZOL5MK9xWIM5Z6RE1YgGgcfxsS43_eEQG3pvV3go1r9uz_irGQIE-AKZInMwF

y4mt0mPtj6Sehd3sYsWNrpaKSxGjzK8d_A_dsUkULRC-zj-0ar_yJuRdioTWl3v0PSaHGdKvwddAvkNo0KKMfFRwNC302KvU40DjCzNqlnCxiSjdf2vxowOfhUGFYU3dNYU186VyziiSEcUKonS0rdphLzuaQhE_54aLcQSp-Yq-gj59gCRS2CQu3JGPU-nt7cV
Thanks for the photos and commentary, Dusty. Good job!

biggrin.gif

Hate the beast they have moved back in on me.
I haven't set the trap yet.

@Caustic Burno , I take it you got the trap set for them? It just blows my mind that there are so many hogs running loose like that. It is more like our deer herds here.... saw a state truck picking up another big doe this morning off the side of the road, on my way to Physical Therapy. I don't think I have ever seen so many hit and killed as I have this year and I am not traveling to farms to test as much as I used to....

That's illegal in Texas except through approved facilities.
If you catch got to destroy them.
We actually have an ex captain from the sheriffs department that works for the state investigates illegal feral hog movements.
It's illegal in a lot of places and hasn't stopped a lot of folks.

Latest posts