Another big butt

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Couldn't help myself... here's another. I have pics of him from behind but they're on another computer- I'll get them when I can.

Watertondifter":gp8lm4e4 said:
Good looking shorty....I think Australia breeds some of the best in the world.

Nothing against the Aussies. But I think you need to do a search for a little outfit called Sask Valley shorthorns. The raise a nice one now and then.

3waycross":3dxvv2wq said:
Watertondifter":3dxvv2wq said:

Nothing against the Aussies. But I think you need to do a search for a little outfit called Sask Valley shorthorns. The raise a nice one now and then.

well yes...I'm sure they do...and I could list many other Canadian breeders that also raise anice one now and then...even maybe one or two outfits in the U.S.A. that can feed and counterfit an average SOB into sometime that will fool most people including me from time to time. BUT...after having seen first hand the shorthorns raised downunder on the WHOLE...for the MOST PART...and IN GENERAL.....the Auzzies grow some very very sound useful shorthorn cattle. So...tell me, what did you think of them the last time you were there?

Watertondifter":3dqzugai said:
3waycross":3dqzugai said:
Watertondifter":3dqzugai said:

well yes...I'm sure they do...and I could list many other Canadian breeders that also raise anice one now and then...even maybe one or two outfits in the U.S.A. that can feed and counterfit an average SOB into sometime that will fool most people including me from time to time. BUT...after having seen first hand the shorthorns raised downunder on the WHOLE...for the MOST PART...and IN GENERAL.....the Auzzies grow some very very sound useful shorthorn cattle. So...tell me, what did you think of them the last time you were there?

Let me understand this! YOU are Canadian and you just FLAMED me for complimenting CANADIAN shorthorns? GEE I will sure try not to do THAT anymore.

For the record Killala has posted a lot of pics of Australian Shorties here and I have complimented them. However like most of the Aussie posts, they are for the most part SHOW cattle. Most of the bulls the Americans and Canadians post here are what they own or what is standing in their pasture.

All I know about the Aussie, shorthorns, is what I see here and on the internet in general, semen sites etc. However I will say this. The canadian bulls, that I have seen here and IN PERSON seem to be a bit deeper and soggier than the Aussie bulls I have seen here,that doesn't imply that there is anything wrong with the Aussie bulls, just that "I" like the Canadians a lot, and I am as entilitled to my opinion as you are.

Now if all you wanted was a fight , that's a different story. .......... Like that famous AMERICAN , Bob Barker says"COME ON DOWN :cowboy:

I sold a bunch of semen on a Shorthorn bull to Australia about 8 or 9 years ago.I couldnt give the stuff away here in the U.S. while the Aussies were selling his sons to commercial breeders for 5 to 10,000 dollars on a regular basis.The Australian's have added a lot of Canadian influence to their herds in recent years.

R.N.Reed":1x7hxdz8 said:
I sold a bunch of semen on a Shorthorn bull to Australia about 8 or 9 years ago.I couldnt give the stuff away here in the U.S. while the Aussies were selling his sons to commercial breeders for 5 to 10,000 dollars on a regular basis.The Australian's have added a lot of Canadian influence to their herds in recent years.

I have to ask. How can ANY commercial breeder anywhere in the world ever come out on a bull for commercial breeding purposes when he pays 5-10 thousand dollars for him. Unlesss of course he is collecting him and AI's his commercial herd. Is that what they do down there with commercial bulls?

3way,I don't know the reasoning for sure but I have a good idea,however my lips are sealed until you tell me the breeding of that white cow.

R.N.Reed":ogknlzsm said:
3way,I don't know the reasoning for sure but I have a good idea,however my lips are sealed until you tell me the breeding of that white cow.

She's just a commercial shorthorn cow that my partner raised. She's a bit inbred that's all I know. They have had that herd for close to 30 years.

3waycross":2vq5b67a said:
For the record Killala has posted a lot of pics of Australian Shorties here and I have complimented them. However like most of the Aussie posts, they are for the most part SHOW cattle. Most of the bulls the Americans and Canadians post here are what they own or what is standing in their pasture.

I'm sorry but I need to comment on this.

I have made it known clearly several times that our cattle (greys) that I post here, while they might be show cattle, they are our commercial cattle too. Grass fed, productive animals. I'm not sure what you are getting at, but they are 'what we own and what is standing in our pasture'.

What white cow?

Where I live, commerial rancher pay 5 to10 for top end bulls all the time because they understand that it's their cow herd that makes them money and that the replacement females that will become their future cost a hell of a lot if they don't last past the age of 3 or 4. He is willing to pay good $ for a bull that he knows will build his cowherd in the future. Better to pay $10000 for a good sob that will leave you with something than to pay $3300 for three bulls that will leave you with a wreck that will take years and year to fix.

But thats just my way of thinking.....no need to redirect me to some other outfit to change that. :help: I'm just a dumb commerial rancher.....lol

Watertondifter":3spitx9a said:
Where I live, commerial rancher pay 5 to10 for top end bulls all the time because they understand that it's their cow herd that makes them money and that the replacement females that will become their future cost a be nice of a lot if they don't last past the age of 3 or 4. He is willing to pay good $ for a bull that he knows will build his cowherd in the future. Better to pay $10000 for a good sob that will leave you with something than to pay $3300 for three bulls that will leave you with a wreck that will take years and year to fix.

But thats just my way of thinking.....no need to redirect me to some other outfit to change that. :help: I'm just a dumb commerial rancher.....lol
The seed stock producers in your area must love seeing you walk into their sales. $10,000 for a commercial bull is not only insane, it is outright unprofitable. Then again some people don't look at profitability. "If it sells high he must be good" is a poor way to judge an animal.

Watertondifter":1h1smn82 said:
Where I live, commerial rancher pay 5 to10 for top end bulls all the time because they understand that it's their cow herd that makes them money

Got to call you on this one - BS flag is flying very high on you now - right to the top of the pole.

Suspect this is a more than a bit of an exaggeration or perhaps you are still trying to stick it to 3waycross.

Not enough cash in the game to warrant those expenses other than for collecting.

Been in the game a long time - not more than 10% of ranchers will pay more than $5K and less than 1% of ranchers pay $10K. Especially in the past five years.

Maybe we should ask Alberta Farmer what the average cost of a bull for his neighbours and friends comes to if you do not like my response - bet he is not far off from what I said. I can get some Peace River info and some Dawson info as well if you want. Or would you prefer Manitoba and Sask?

You need to breathe a little slower and think before typing.

Yeah - my stats - but I suspect I know as many if not more guys in the biz as you do. Alberta Farmer probably more. Coast to coast contact list and business associates. I could go to Northern Rancher and ask him about the average price of a range breeder as well - bet he comes in a bit smaller than your figures as well.

If I go back a couple of years I think we had a 17 year old kid try to play the big rancher game here - wonder what ever happened to him.

Not everyone here is a dry lot farmer and many have a real idea of profitability and how dificult it is to reach that point.

Bez+

The price for a commercial bull? Two or three ordinary bulls for slaughter at 17 months.

Keren":2pd7mmft said:
3waycross":2pd7mmft said:

I'm sorry but I need to comment on this.

I have made it known clearly several times that our cattle (greys) that I post here, while they might be show cattle, they are our commercial cattle too. Grass fed, productive animals. I'm not sure what you are getting at, but they are 'what we own and what is standing in our pasture'.

What white cow?

Well Karen when virtually EVERY picture you or the others post is from a show. What are we to think.

and the white cow will remain a mystery

I feel sorry for the white cow, she had her one chance for notoriety and has been relegated to obscurity once again.For those who doubt the sales figures I talked about,do a google search for Eionmor Port O Call.There are several sites that give sales results and what type of operations bought the animals.

R.N.Reed":20g1snya said:
I feel sorry for the white cow, she had her one chance for notoriety and has been relegated to obscurity once again.For those who doubt the sales figures I talked about,do a google search for Eionmor Port O Call.There are several sites that give sales results and what type of operations bought the animals.

RN if I can get a really great picture of the white cow I will post it for you. I also have a picture of her 3yr old dtr , now she's a tank. GV/SH and a real good girl.

I personally don't doubt that your semen created bulls that sold for that much money. However I DO doubt that the average commercial guy in Alberta is paying 5 to 10 thousand for commercial bulls. Maybe Hillsdown will chime in here soon. She's a Alberta resident and knows her cattle.

Thanks 3way I have always been impressed with the cattle youve shown on here and it is always refreshing for me to see some Shorthorn influence in a commercial type operation.

Latest posts