Animal Welfare

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11":2d2nnpbs said:
I hear that if you do a C section on a horse its going to die.

As a general rule, horses tend to be rather fragile animals. It's always amazed me how something that big can be as fragile as they are. Not my thoughts, told to me by several very good large animal vets in the area some years back.

msscamp":31n505b1 said:
Beef11":31n505b1 said:

As a general rule, horses tend to be rather fragile animals. It's always amazed me how something that big can be as fragile as they are. Not my thoughts, told to me by several very good large animal vets in the area some years back.
If you look at a horse strange, they colic. And yes, they tend to die a lot easier than other species with c-section. Cattle seem to be one of the most amazing at taking the surgery, with their omentum trapping infection to form an abscess vs full blown peritonitis...but then, that's my experience.

Oh, and just to be clear, the VAST MAJORITY of my c-sections go on to rebreed if allowed.

Vicky the vet":32qf13dk said:
msscamp":32qf13dk said:
Beef11":32qf13dk said:

If you look at a horse strange, they colic. And yes, they tend to die a lot easier than other species with c-section. Cattle seem to be one of the most amazing at taking the surgery, with their omentum trapping infection to form an abscess vs full blown peritonitis...but then, that's my experience.

Oh, and just to be clear, the VAST MAJORITY of my c-sections go on to rebreed if allowed.

Vicky

I happen to live close to your area. I always read your posts.

Would you care to hazard a guess - opinion only - not the professional kind - as to why there appears to be so many who have probs with C-sections?

Our gentleman has carried out three on this place over the past few years.

2 out of three yielded a live calf - the third would have if we had caught it in time.

The animals always recovered and they always bred back.

I am having a bit of difficulty understanding why there are so many who have not experienced this.

Our handling facilities - while no the greatest - DO allow the veterinarian to have a completely restrained animal - unfortunately, they are not covered. Perhaps the fact that we can restrain the animal and do not have it in a dirty surrounding helps?

Past experience with this procedure? Training? Or what?

We have one of the good ones here and you probably know him. We follow his advice to the extreme and have always been succesful because of it - in my opinion at least.

Regards,

Bez!

Intersting, I've not witnessed more then a couple of dozen C-sections over the years. From one particular vet they all died, from another one none of them died.

dun[/quote]
got a question about c section,the care after wards, is hard to take care of her? do you barn her for a few days to try to keep her still, do stiches deslove? or you just turn her out ,just wondering.. Rose

brownmule":3682tlfc said:
got a question about c section,the care after wards, is hard to take care of her? do you barn her for a few days to try to keep her still, do stiches deslove? or you just turn her out ,just wondering.. Rose

The only ones I've seen were in dairys. It dpended on the conditions. Some just turn them out with the dry cows on pasture, some bed them in straw in the barn, some just turn them into a lot like everything else. Stiches must disolve because they're never come back to removed them. The incision is high enough on the side that the cow would have to nearly roll over on her back to get it dirty, but some do. One got an infection, not sure what from, two weeks later they cut her open and took out a couple of quarts of the nastiest looking pus imaginable. Sewed her back up and within a couple of weeks was back going through the milk string like nothing had happened. They are tough critters and much more resilient then we sometimes think. That's when the look in the eye is the best judge of planting them or caring for them.

dun

msscamp":2zv9a5ak said:
Beef11":2zv9a5ak said:

Thats one reason we like Mules! Every horse we ever had at one time or another has go itself hurt or sick. Never paid a vet bill on a mule yet (knock on wood).

Latest posts