Animal welfare rules are coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":3uad7y5h said:
Blue paint on a post 100 yards apart is a legal "no Trespassing" sign here. No written permission? =Arrested...

Same thing in MO except it's purple paint.

dun

Some of these experiences with hunters is almost unbelievable. Sorry to hear there are hunters out there behaving in this manner. I've been a hunter all my life. So is my father, my grandfather, and my children. Know lots of hunters, but none that would behave in the manner some of you have described. Most the hunters I know leave the land better than they found it. They respect livestock, landowners, etc... I hunt on 2,000 acres out in West Texas. A group of friends and relatives lease the entire area for hunting. There are 8 of us there. We treat the land much better than the oil and gas companies do out there.

I'm sure these things happen, but there are lots of people who enjoy hunting who will respect your property, your cows, your buildings, and you. Don't give up on hunters, just because of a few bad apples.

My 2 cents worth.

franseen - the truck parked on the road, the shotguns, and the orange vests led me to believe my dogs were shot by hunters. I didn't just assume it was hunters just because it was hunting season. I'm not in the habit of accusing someone of something without good reason. All 3 incidents I talked about happened because I gave them permission to come hunt. Some payment for being nice :mad: Grew up in a hunting family, married a hunter, extended the same courtasy I would like extended to me and mine. Not anymore!!! I only allow people I know real well now. The rest of the story is - went looking at our only motel to find the persons or anyone who knew of the persons. Told my story. No one had a clue. But - one of the guys at the motel had a dog who had pups and gave one to replace the one lost. Said they were real sorry, said I shouldn't let anyone hunt, and then took extra time to patrol my area to see if they could help. So yeah, I know there are good hunters out there. I'm just not willing to take the risk to find out which ones are the bad ones anymore.

SF":1ukgbvyr said:
Some of these experiences with hunters is almost unbelievable. Sorry to hear there are hunters out there behaving in this manner. I've been a hunter all my life. So is my father, my grandfather, and my children. Know lots of hunters, but none that would behave in the manner some of you have described. Most the hunters I know leave the land better than they found it. They respect livestock, landowners, etc... I hunt on 2,000 acres out in West Texas. A group of friends and relatives lease the entire area for hunting. There are 8 of us there. We treat the land much better than the oil and gas companies do out there.

I'm sure these things happen, but there are lots of people who enjoy hunting who will respect your property, your cows, your buildings, and you. Don't give up on hunters, just because of a few bad apples.

My 2 cents worth.
==============

Sf,

Point well made. But , it doesn't provide substance to eliminate the problem.

I am a hunter myself. I know there are respectful ones. Probably 10% or so need guidance. But, that small group has been/can be devistating to a ranch operation and that small number has managed to paint all the hunters in a bad light.

Hunting clubs need to institute a program of education and perhaps a membershp program...properly communicated so the ranchers can assess the members as responsible..affording the bad ones an opportunity to modify their behavior or.... fall thru the cracks.

A hunting club could extend a hand of sorts to the land owner community and get to know the folks before/other than just at time for hunting.

For example X hunting club communicates to an area of landowners that ..."they will come and repair any damage; fences cut, animals shot,trash cleaned up, caused by hunters. Just call us." Visibably attend community summer/fall festivals/fairs and other community functions in the intended hunting area.

How do you think that would be received by the owner community? Why... after getting a record established they would be welcomed with open arms by most.

I can remember getting a new 42' CC commander in 1975...."friends"would come out of the woodwork"...for a cruise. Never showed up for cleaning and maintenance though!!!!!!!LOL I put a small plaque in the cabin which said: Out of respect we refuse to take our friends out on a dirty ship. If it is clean we sail". There were so many who showed up..I had to schedule them. :lol:

Until hunters get together and change their image the screws are/will be tightened further. Ranchers must and will do whatever is required to protect heavy investments/assets. IMHO.

....."Told my story. No one had a clue. But - one of the guys at the motel had a dog who had pups and gave one to replace the one lost. Said they were real sorry, said I shouldn't let anyone hunt, and then took extra time to patrol my area to see if they could help. So yeah, I know there are good hunters out there. I'm just not willing to take the risk to find out which ones are the bad ones anymore.[/quote]"

===================

Sorry about your dog....your point is well made.

You know, Kids are growing up today not knowing how to respect someone's land or property. I consider game on private land the propertys owners property. I decided to do something about it. I became a boyscout leader and I also teach hunters education. These boys are great they just need someone to point them in the right direction. I know I ain't making a big differance as a whole, but to a few Id like to think I'm making a a big differance.

Bama":2q043qfv said:
You know, Kids are growing up today not knowing how to respect someone's land or property. I consider game on private land the propertys owners property. I decided to do something about it. I became a boyscout leader and I also teach hunters education. These boys are great they just need someone to point them in the right direction. I know I ain't making a big differance as a whole, but to a few Id like to think I'm making a a big differance.

Bama I am a hunter and I hate hunters like from Houston they have no respect for the private landowners around the leases. I will only tell you one story as I was coming from working in the back pasture,there was a Dodge 250 4x4 parked in my drive. I proceeded to latch a log chain to the back bumper and was dragging it into the county road ,Massey never broke a sweat. Magically a guy come screaming out of the woods I was tearing up his truck which was now in the road. His excuse was there was no where to park so he elected to park in my drive and became a little beligerent. To the surprise of the lease holders I owned 20 feet on the other side of the county road after contacting Chanpion Paper to stay off my land people started gettting real friendly.

It's the Hunter's that throw their Beer Cans and trash in our woods and pastures that burn my A$$. Yes it's a small majority of Rogues that do this.I realize as the country grows, there are less and less places to hunt.It's unfortunate that the reckless acts of a few ruin it for respectable hunters,and I know that most are folks that respect other's property, but it made us come up with the policy of "no hunting". We've got some friends that are older fellows, they're scared to run anyone off of their farms because of being afraid of retaliation. Figure it's easier to let em tear up the back side of a place with 4 wheelers than being victimized by calling the law on the bad guys.

Thats another story. Beer and hunting don't belong in the same sentence. Someone with impaired judgement does not need to be around any firearm. I do drink a beer occasionally and I do hunt. I just won't do them at the same time. I also believe if I kill it I ortta eat it. I shot a bear in Maine a few years back. Everbody up there was surprised that I was keeping the meat. They said that they just threw it away. I cooked some up there like we cook a old tough buck. They were surprised, they said they had never had bear that tasted that good. My reply was "if its dead in the south we will find a way to cook it"

I guess I was overreacting. I am a hunter too and I agree some hunters are bad apples. Its like any other thing. Do something, bad five people will be told about it. Do something good, one person may be told. We own land and we allow some folks to hunt it. We are lucky to live in an area where hunting is a way of life and we don't have too many big cities nearby. As for drinking and hunting. I don't even give these kind of folks a chance to be called hunters. I just have a strong beleive that we should stand behind our hunting heritage so that we don't lose that right. Along with not having to deal with animal welfare folks trying to hinder our profitability. I think if you have land you can do with it what you please. You pay the taxes and the you paid for the land. We all know that farmers and ranchers pay for their land with a lot more than money. This thread started about animal welfare laws. I believe they could really do damage to the lifestyles we like to lead as farmers and ranchers. Supporting our hunting rights and privileges is key to ensure our farming rights and privileges.
Bama you sound like you have a great approach. Keep up the good work and thanks for teaching hunters saftey. You are making a difference.

Bama":190a6i7n said:
Bama as a member of the human race I want to say "thank you". You never know how big a difference you may be making.
Your story kind of goes along with the one 9 ER posted in Coffee Shop, "We all know or knew..."

I helped coach a kid's boxing team once and found that there are a lot of good kids out there. They are hungry for someone to help them along. One of the father's asked me why I was coaching since I didn't have a kid boxing. I thought it was a stupid question. I don't think he ever realized that some of those kids didn't have fathers.

Latest posts