Animal Rights Issue

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

The following effects all of us that are involved in any way with the production of meat animals and deserves your attention.

----- Original Message ----- From: zirkle To: <A HREF="mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]</A> Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 1:39 PM Subject: [PRMA] Aminal Rights issue

We need your help in NJ. Briefly, my husband retired as the State Vet in Jan. Prior to that he had been working on Minimum standards for the humane treatment of livestock (horses, sheep, cows, rabbits etc.) as requested by the state legislature. This was done to enable the state vets to apply consistent standards to ASPCA and PETA complaints about animal welfare. The rules have been published and it is time for comments to be received by the department of Agriculture. Unfortunately, because N.J. is populated primarily by non farming types and our animal agriculture is small, PETA and an insidious group called Farm Sanctuary, have been bombarding the department with negative comments. They want much tougher standards than proposed...in essence they want to do away with meat. They have targeted N.J. hoping to win concessions which they can them force other states to comply with. As the largest rabbit breeder in N.J. we were involved with the rabbit portion and it is very broadly worded...no fears there folks! If each of you could send an email or a letter (I've attached simple wording below, feel free to alter as you wish) within the next week it will help all of us in Animal Agriculture. Feel free to share this with any other groups or species that you are in contact with.

I need your help in responding to the proposed regulations. Animal rightists are sending in comments that the rules are not "tough enough" at the rate of 80 per day. The counts pro and con stands at 790 to 2. Not good odds to have the governor pass the scientifically supportable version that Ernie has worked on for 6 years. He is forbidden to "politic" hence my plea for help. If each of you would get 5 or 10 or more people to email or write there is still hope. Call me if you have any questions. Following is all that is necessary to write, more can be added if you'd like to elaborate.

To Dr. Nancy Halpern, Director of Animal Health P.O. Box 330, Trenton, N.J. 08625 <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>

I am writing in support of NJAC2:8, #PRN2003-168. I understand that the Department of Agriculture has developed scientifically based standards for the minimum humane care of animals in NJ. The intent of the legislation creating these rules was clear. Modifications to these rules would place an unnecessary burden on agriculture and animal owners. Signed your name and state or address. (people from all areas are free to write).

Again, call me if you have any questions and PLEASE HELP!!! Cindy Zirkle 856-455-6611

[email protected]

I don't have anything kind to say about PETA and you can read between my lines using a TUVOK "Mind Meld" (Star Trek). PETA is a rather rabid proponent of vegetarianism and as you know is trying to brainwash the public with their radical views on animal rights. As most radical activist groups, they have tunnel vision at the very least. @#$$%^&*. Some (but not many) of their stance is valid--such as don't abuse animals or make them suffer. On the other hand, to condemn all animal products (as they apparently do) is completely outrageous to say the least.

[email protected]

> I don't have anything kind to say
> about PETA and you can read
> between my lines using a TUVOK
> "Mind Meld" (Star Trek).
> PETA is a rather rabid proponent
> of vegetarianism and as you know
> is trying to brainwash the public
> with their radical views on animal
> rights. As most radical activist
> groups, they have tunnel vision at
> the very least. @#$$%^&*. Some
> (but not many) of their stance is
> valid--such as don't abuse animals
> or make them suffer. On the other
> hand, to condemn all animal
> products (as they apparently do)
> is completely outrageous to say
> the least.

PETA--A GROUP OF MISGUIDED, LIBERAL, CERTIFIED @$^@^$@!--NUF SAID

I've said this before and I'm just going to say the exact same thing but something definatly has to be done-The AR groups are getting out of control. They are threatening America as we know it. They are in every area from the medical field to the feedlot to the backyard with your own dog. If they get their way I want to know where they propose all those animals go?? And then all the people that owned those animals are spose to be reinbursed how?? I can't understand most of those people. But I dunno if anybody but themselves do.

We've all gotta do something or we may all be shut down and be forced into "poverty" of many ways.

[email protected]

And that's why I posted it here -- there is NO way that these PETA crazies should be determining how a farmer raises/treats his animals. Leave things in their hands and there will be no more animals or animal usage at all. The leaders of these AR groups have, on more than one occasion, stated their willingness to allow whole breeds and species to become extinct.

I've noticed though that most farmers don't take them seriously -- my father laughs at them but is unconcerned that they could affect him in anyway. Same with my husband, an avid hunter, he doens't think that AR's can change laws and traditional ways of doing things. All you have to do is open your eyes and look around, they're already doing it everywhere. And every small victory for them is a major loss for us. The big problem though is that our population has become too urban -- too far removed from the farm, too many kids growing up not really knowing/realizing where meat comes from.

And now the AR's are in the schools, warping the minds of our children and turning them against the farming/animals agriculture way of life. One of the major petstore chains (I'm not 100% positive which of the 2, so I won't mention names) has just given a massive amount of money to one of the AR groups (it's either PETA or HSUS)for their campaign to put their literature in every elementary classroom across the country. If I had kids still in school being forcefed that drivel, I'd be all over it, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to devote to it right now.

Ann B

> PETA--A GROUP OF MISGUIDED,
> LIBERAL, CERTIFIED @$^@^$@!--NUF
> SAID

[email protected]

I'm sorry, Ann, I don't understand. PETA is very against breeding animals for human use and that includes pet stores. As far as they are concerned, dogs and cats are unnatural animals and should not be reproducing. I can't understand why any pet store would support them? Can you give us some details, please?

Several states, including mine, have made it a felony for any one or group to interfere with the production of animals for human consumption. Several states, including mine, have passed laws protecting the right to hunt.

The beef checkoff in my state (don't know if it's just my state or national) is asking for volunters and training them to deal with the media in animal related situations, PETA, BSE, whatever.

This is not being ignored. But it is scary and sad to read some of the vegan boards (http://www.vegsource.com) and see how ignorant many people are about farming/ranching and animals.

> And that's why I posted it here --
> there is NO way that these PETA
> crazies should be determining how
> a farmer raises/treats his
> animals. Leave things in their
> hands and there will be no more
> animals or animal usage at all.
> The leaders of these AR groups
> have, on more than one occasion,
> stated their willingness to allow
> whole breeds and species to become
> extinct.

> I've noticed though that most
> farmers don't take them seriously
> -- my father laughs at them but is
> unconcerned that they could affect
> him in anyway. Same with my
> husband, an avid hunter, he
> doens't think that AR's can change
> laws and traditional ways of doing
> things. All you have to do is open
> your eyes and look around, they're
> already doing it everywhere. And
> every small victory for them is a
> major loss for us. The big problem
> though is that our population has
> become too urban -- too far
> removed from the farm, too many
> kids growing up not really
> knowing/realizing where meat comes
> from.

> And now the AR's are in the
> schools, warping the minds of our
> children and turning them against
> the farming/animals agriculture
> way of life. One of the major
> petstore chains (I'm not 100%
> positive which of the 2, so I
> won't mention names) has just
> given a massive amount of money to
> one of the AR groups (it's either
> PETA or HSUS)for their campaign to
> put their literature in every
> elementary classroom across the
> country. If I had kids still in
> school being forcefed that drivel,
> I'd be all over it, but
> unfortunately I just don't have
> the time to devote to it right
> now.

> Ann B

For more info on the PETA dribble, go to their website. Also, get a copy of one of their newsletters...real scary stuff! Without meat, the world's population would probably eventually turn into billions of anorexic, unisex activist, malnourished humanoids that are spaced out with no other worlds to conquer! Personally, I'll take a good steak over lentils and tofu and seaweed pate! EAT MORE BEEF and live healthy! :)

[email protected]

For some reason, both of the major chains seem to have an affinity for giving to these AR organizations.

I'm not at home right now (180 miles from home AI'ing Dad's cows) and won't be home until Friday night. When I get home, I'll go back through my stored files and find the notice about this latest donation.

Ann

> I'm sorry, Ann, I don't
> understand. PETA is very against
> breeding animals for human use and
> that includes pet stores. As far
> as they are concerned, dogs and
> cats are unnatural animals and
> should not be reproducing. I can't
> understand why any pet store would
> support them? Can you give us some
> details, please?

> Several states, including mine,