animal planet

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Yeah,watching it again-----Animal Cops Houston had a horse rescue.. One of the horses had the playboy bunny and #2000 branded on his neck.. These were the thinnest horses I'd ever seen standing... The owner came up while the investigators were there,said he was takeing 2 of the horses to a rodeo! :???: Question is,if you were at a rodeo and someone brought a rack of bones in to ride,what would you do??? Playboy went down,was lieing there still trying to eat. They got him in a sling,and he did improve..So much so,if it hadn't been for that stupid brand,I wouldn't have believed it was the same animal.. Thing was,there was hay and feed in the barn with the horses,lots of it-they could see it and smell it- they just couldn't reach it,and nobody thought to give them any.. :frowns:
Anyway,the horses got adopted,the owners were convicted . so all seems to have worked out..

We have a couple people in our area like that. We and a few others have called the humane society on them, but they wouldn't do anything about it. Apparently it doesn't matter if horses actually get fed, there just has to be feed on the farm. :roll: Needless to say since no one will do anything about it, people have gotten in the habit of throwing these horses hay.

FarmGirl10":2xpj4rzz said:
We have a couple people in our area like that. We and a few others have called the humane society on them, but they wouldn't do anything about it. Apparently it doesn't matter if horses actually get fed, there just has to be feed on the farm. :roll: Needless to say since no one will do anything about it, people have gotten in the habit of throwing these horses hay.

Its just the opposite here. Undoubtedly we have a bunch of do-gooder animal lovers with nothing to do. Vet told me about a case where he was called in on where the humane society was griping about cows not having anything to eat in their troughs. Vet told the women not to worry so much about an empty feed trough when there were acres and acres of lush green grass across the pasture.

Same bunch called the cops on me cause my dog Hank was in the back of my truck. Hank loved my truck. Loved to ride. Even slept in it at night to be sure I didn't go off and leave him. They said I was abusing him. If I was, that dog sure did love it.

Well, I'm glad we don't have to deal with that, but I wish they would do something about those horses though. Before I was out of school for the summer I had to drive past them 4 days a week, it was depressing. :frowns: If the idiots would give them up i'd make them a very nice home. It'd take about a year to get the horses in healthy riding condition, plus they'd have to be retrained, but it'd be worth it.

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see a lot more of this in the future with the ban on horse slaughtering. Afterall, what is going to happen to the older horses?

Jogeephus":3p32gsq2 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see a lot more of this in the future with the ban on horse slaughtering. Afterall, what is going to happen to the older horses?
It's just going to make it worse. But these horses were like that long before the slaughter ban.

There some sorry people out there. My dad was a vet and he was hired by the federal gov't to do work on cattle at an indian reservation. Gov't built barns and established pastures and filled the whole thing full of feed and hay. During an inspection he found that most of the cattle were half starved to death even though there was plenty of feed and hay in the barns and the pastures were lush. It just didn't do any good to have all this if you are too sorry to open a gate. It was amazing.

Yep, no matter how easy a task may be to do, someone's always too lazy to actually do it.

Some friends of mine had an old horse they kept at the county fair grounds. They had special feed for him and hay. He was thin. They would show up twice a day to make sure he had water, feed and to clean his pen.
They would find all kinds of vegetables dumped in his pen by some do gooder who thought they were helping. Instead it was making him sick.
They didn't know what to do. I suggested a sign asking the person(s) doing it to stop because it was making the horse ill. After they posted the sign it stopped and the horse put on some weight.

Some times help is needed and some times it's not.

I luv herfrds":1xe6e6cb said:
Some times help is needed and some times it's not.
I agree with you on this, but this is one of those cases when help was needed. You should see the horses hooves, they just scream I'm malnourished.

Its hard to tell when to mind your own business and when to speak up when it comes to other people's animals... :?

A friend of mine had the RSPCA come out to her place, because a neighbour reported that she had locked a sheep up in the crate on her truck without food or water, and consequently it had died. When the RSPCA inspector came out, she had to explain that the sheep died in the paddock, she had loaded it up into the truck to take it away and dispose of it :roll:

I also know of someone who had the RSPCA arrive at their place because their pony was dead (it was sleeping :lol2: )

Jogeephus":2ukmlnv8 said:

They are going to die slow, painful deaths and then pollute the environment. It was so much better when their death was quick and painless and the bodies could be used for productive things. But those folks from groups like P.E.T.A are a real P.I.T.A. :mad:

FarmGirl,have you gone to the livestock division of the Sherrif office? Here Animal control doesn't deal with farm animals.
Me,I'd be calling the local tv network---slow news day no telling what might happen..

peg4x4":2m2k0mpc said:
FarmGirl,have you gone to the livestock division of the Sherrif office? Here Animal control doesn't deal with farm animals.
Me,I'd be calling the local tv network---slow news day no telling what might happen..
In the area no one does anything about farm animals...other than PETA. A few years back someone tried freeing the a house full of Layers because they were going to eat them! Well the idiot ended up lighting the barn on fire and killing all of the chickens.

peg4x4":obn8u08v said:
HA! Wonder how he explained that to his cohorts..
Don't know, but a couple firefighters got hurt trying to keep it from spreading to the other chicken houses. I hope he feels very bad about it.

A funny story I heard took place in Colorado somewhere guy was assisiting a cow at calving. Sheriff shows up and tells him to lget away from cow and puts his hands up. Someone had called in that someone was mutulating a cow. Rancher was not happy.

I'm certainly not in favor of starving or mistreating animals, even horses. But some of these folks that get nailed for starving a horse and don;t have the means of feeding it should sue the government in a class action suit for depriving them of the means of disposing of them in some way other then shooting them.

No-pay attention-----This guy was standing there looking at these anatomy lessions insesting that there was nothing wrong with them,and he planed to take them to a rodeo and compete on them!! Wish I could show a photo...I thought "Topper" was bad when I got him..These horses were about 500/600lb underweight. Yes,there are many,many uninformed people out there... And there will be many more as more and more lose touch with the Earth that sustains us.....My time is limited,and at times I'm glad of it.

Latest posts