AngusxHerford

Help Support CattleToday:

Grundy53

Reaction score
Newbie question. If you wanted to make black baldies with Angus and hereford, would you rather a hereford bull on Angus cows or Angus bull on hereford cows and please explain why? I would think Angus bull on hereford cows that way if you did happen to acquire any cows of a different breed you would still have black calves. But I've seen a lot of folks saying use a hereford bull so I could be missing something.

Hereford cow / angus bull. Where I live Hereford cows are cheaper and angus bulls much more plentiful (broader selection) - as is semen.

No offense to the OP, but the only purebred animal on any commercial farm is generally the bull. Around here (central KY) I'd say that 90+% of commercial herds are angus based (they're black). For baldy calves it would probably be the best (cheapest and easiest) option to shop around for the best quality black cows (angus based) and then match them to a Hereford bull.
Pic off newborn baldy calf. This heifer was aied to R294:

Grundy53":1p082k05 said:
Newbie question. If you wanted to make black baldies with Angus and hereford, would you rather a hereford bull on Angus cows or Angus bull on hereford cows and please explain why? I would think Angus bull on hereford cows that way if you did happen to acquire any cows of a different breed you would still have black calves. But I've seen a lot of folks saying use a hereford bull so I could be missing something.

I just posted this a little earlier and it seems to fit your situation also.

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to buy some Hereford heifers/cows and you can rent an Angus or Brangus bull for a month for about $250.

The Hereford X Angus will produce Black Baldies. The Hereford X Brangus will produce Super Baldies. The heifers from these crosses are very popular for breeding or for slaughter, as are the steers.

You might even be able to rent a Brahman bull to breed your Hereford cows and produce Braford calves. Or you can always breed a Hereford bull to the cows to get more Herefords.

skeeter swatter":1hxivad5 said:
It really boils down to which you like better,Hereford cows or Angus cows.
Good luck
Personally I like Hereford... But they got weaseled out here years ago..different breeds of Bulls every decade gert,beefmaster,simm, a few brangus then Charolais,now it's Angus....in every commercial herd...

No commercial Hereford cattle for sale here.. There's registered cattle for sale.way to much startup cost, especially just to raise baldies...you can buy 2 good quality commercial angus to one registered Hereford...at one time in the 80's you could buy Hereford, some ""red poll"" which you don't see at all here anymore, and were prevalent at one time...and shorthorn

If I could put together a herd of Hereford cows I'd run a Brahman bull on them. Then breed the heifers to a Brangus bull, and laugh all the way to the bank.

True Grit Farms":2t95zhn3 said:
If I could put together a herd of Hereford cows I'd run a Brahman bull on them. Then breed the heifers to a Brangus bull, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Is that a good three-way cross?

I would think it might not be since Brangus have Brahman genetics. A homozygous black continental European bull such as a Simmental might be better to breed to the Braford heifers/cows.

By the way, I am seeing ads for young Hereford heifers here in North Texas for $600 each.

Bullitt":12p0yapr said:
True Grit Farms":12p0yapr said:

I would think it might not be since Brangus have Brahman genetics. A homozygous black continental European bull such as a Simmental might be better to breed to the Braford heifers/cows.
The best in the south.
http://www.cattlerange.com/B-Tigerstripe.html

True Grit Farms":2wlj3lkn said:
Bullitt":2wlj3lkn said:
True Grit Farms":2wlj3lkn said:

The best in the south.
http://www.cattlerange.com/B-Tigerstripe.html

I see ads there for Braford/Tigerstripe heifers and cows. That is from the Hereford X Brahman. Am I missing the Braford X Brangus?

You only have a two way cross using Braford. You come back over the heifers with Braford or whatever one of the three breeds you choose. The choices are endless.

True Grit Farms":227ljsc7 said:
You only have a two way cross using Braford. You come back over the heifers with Braford or whatever one of the three breeds you choose. The choices are endless.

Yes, I understand that. I was just saying I think something like a Simmental would be best to breed to the Braford cows. From what I read, the best results are achieved with three separate breeds. Usually it involves a British breed, such as Hereford, a continental European breed, such as a Simmental, and a breed like Brahman.

If you cross Braford and Brangus, they both have Brahman genetics so you lose some of the potential you can get with a three-way cross, I believe. I may be wrong on this, though.

Bullitt":2le20raz said:
True Grit Farms":2le20raz said:

Yes, I understand that. I was just saying I think something like a Simmental would be best to breed to the Braford cows. From what I read, the best results are achieved with three separate breeds. Usually it involves a British breed, such as Hereford, a continental European breed, such as a Simmental, and a breed like Brahman.

If you cross Braford and Brangus, they both have Brahman genetics so you lose some of the potential you can get with a three-way cross, I believe. I may be wrong on this, though.
Well I don't know about what the books say, but I'm not into trying to reinvent the wheel. You can try whatever you want, but in the south you can't beat a baldie or tiger stripe for a commercial momma cow. And no matter what the Simmental pimps think, Angus is what adds marble and tenderness to beef.

True Grit Farms":1iot34ta said:
Bullitt":1iot34ta said:
True Grit Farms":1iot34ta said:

Well I don't know about what the books say, but I'm not into trying to reinvent the wheel. You can try whatever you want, but in the south you can't beat a baldie or tiger stripe for a commercial momma cow. And no matter what the Simmental pimps think, Angus is what adds marble and tenderness to beef.

I am not trying to pimp any breed. I agree about Baldies and Tigerstripe cows here in Texas.

I think an Angus bull on Braford cows would be good. It seems that Angus from Scotland and Hereford from England are far enough apart genetically to make a good cross.

Latest posts