angus with white on udder

Help Support CattleToday:

tja477t

Reaction score
here is the deal. i bought a heifer that looks full blooded except for a little white on udder. her sire is full blooded and her dam is 1/2 angus 1/2 pinzgauer. what is the chance that when bred back to a black angus that her calf might get the white on her tail and back? Should I just put a hereford on her instead.

I do not know with the Pinzgauer in there, but many registered angus have "white on the udder". It is except able behind the navel.

yeah, its just that i know she has the pinzgauer in her. youd never know just to look at her but the seller is an honest guy. i'm just curious if i breed her back to an angus if all of a sudden she is going to pop out the colored calves i see when i punch in angus X pinzgauer into google.

tja477t":3421uh7i said:
yeah, its just that i know she has the pinzgauer in her. youd never know just to look at her but the seller is an honest guy. i'm just curious if i breed her back to an angus if all of a sudden she is going to pop out the colored calves i see when i punch in angus X pinzgauer into google.

Do not fear. "Pinzgauer white" is a dominant trait; if they have the gene it shows, if it is gone - it is gone.

Yup ANAZAZI is correct, if the skunk tail is gone, it is gone. Many registered Angus (both red and black) have white marks on udder but buyers don't care if the calves have some white on their belly. You should be fine and you won't get any colored calves from her if bred to Angus or Hereford bull.

Do not fear. "Pinzgauer white" is a dominant trait; if they have the gene it shows, if it is gone - it is gone.
nice, thats what i was hoping, she is a real nice looking heifer for the money

Your downside is that her calf is the one you put in your own freezer rather than sell at the barn (presumably, that's where the calves are heading).

Low risk.

If you like her and what she can do for you, get her.

PS -- Pinzgauer is pretty good eating!

WalnutCrest":3la3fpxz said:
Your downside is that her calf is the one you put in your own freezer rather than sell at the barn (presumably, that's where the calves are heading).

Low risk.

???

The heifer in question is solid black colored and she won't throw any skunk tail calves. She is at least 3/4 Angus 1/4 Pinzgauer.

Taurus":3eorqdo5 said:
WalnutCrest":3eorqdo5 said:

Low risk.

???

The heifer in question is solid black colored and she won't throw any skunk tail calves. She is at least 3/4 Angus 1/4 Pinzgauer.

Right. I don't know what was confusing to you as I agree with what you (and the others) wrote above me.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what you thought I was trying to say ... but ... what I was trying to say was that if he didn't like the way the calf looked (for whatever reason), he could just eat it himself rather than worry about what happens at the sale barn. Then again, that's pretty much the story for whatever it is that hits the ground at any of our places ... we can eat the mistakes / missteps.

My brain injury from this summer still has me being less articulate than normal... :shrug:

Oh, and I stand by my statement that Pinzgauer is good eating.

Could throw a red calf, though, if bred to a red or red-carrier bull.
Have lots of black cows here that are multiple generations removed from a red bull or cow in their ancestry that throw a red calf, when bred to red bulls

Latest posts