Angus West of the Nueces.

Help Support CattleToday:

taggert

Reaction score
Howdy,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have recently purchased a new black Angus bull. I will be using him on F-1 Brafords.

My question is:

Anyone else running black Angus west of the Nueces? How do they fair in the heat? I've been told that he should start melting around Feb. 15th in my country.

Here is a picture of him. He is 14 months and 1200lbs. Opinions and comments are welcome.
Scaled.JPG

Regards,
Taggert

taggert":3hi0jypf said:
Howdy,

Long time reader, first time poster. I have recently purchased a new black Angus bull. I will be using him on F-1 Brafords.

My question is:

Anyone else running black Angus west of the Nueces? How do they fair in the heat? I've been told that he should start melting around Feb. 15th in my country.

Here is a picture of him. He is 14 months and 1200lbs. Opinions and comments are welcome.
Scaled.JPG

Regards,
Taggert
let him melt........you'll get good money for the calves those f1 momas will be just the ticket .. he has decent hip... could be deeper

when i heard nueces i think of the kid on lomesome dove, thet got eat up by water moccasins in the nueces river....ive seen them nealy that thick before in our river, make chills go up your spine. ;-)

I know a few families around San Antonio and Gonzalez that run regsitered Angus. Yourbull will melt from the heat of the day during the summer. However, He will do his work by night. You will be well rewarded. However I would consider a bit deeper made bull in the future to cross with F1s. Might consider looking at bulls from this guy. http://www.rosankycattle.com/ His cattle are a tad bit smaller than I like but from what I understand they do real well on top of American crosses such as you are breeding to.

Thanks for the reply's.

Here is another picture of him.
Scaled2.JPG

I am expecting him to fill out as he matures. His EPD's are in the top 20% across the board.

Taggert

He looks like he was fed real well where he came from. Keep that in mind and don't work him too hard that first year and maybe keep supplementing him some for a while. A lot of good bulls get pushed real hard on grain for optimum gains to report on a breeder's records. Then they get sold and turned out where the cows have to live off the land. THe microbial fauna has to change from high grain consuming bugs too high roughage consuming bugs and that takes time and often a little help.

Brandonm22":2x9mvb7a said:
He looks like he was fed real well where he came from. Keep that in mind and don't work him too hard that first year and maybe keep supplementing him some for a while. A lot of good bulls get pushed real hard on grain for optimum gains to report on a breeder's records. Then they get sold and turned out where the cows have to live off the land. THe microbial fauna has to change from high grain consuming bugs too high roughage consuming bugs and that takes time and often a little help.

I agree. That is why he's been penned and feed separately for over a month now. And to get him adjusted and branded. This Saturday he'll be released into his own section of land stockpiled with grass and a handful of mamas. He was also purchased from a breeder near Houston that's claims South Texas Toughness. My area should put that claim to the test.

Taggert

taggert":1b833z5m said:
Thanks for the reply's.

Here is another picture of him.
Scaled2.JPG

I am expecting him to fill out as he matures. His EPD's are in the top 20% across the board.

Taggert
he's a good looking bull, like too see him in another year.. the heat wont be as hard on him while he's still young as it will when he gets older and heavier..

Latest posts