angus vs. charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

Real hard call. I own Angus and Brangus cows, with Angus Bulls. But I do know that Charolais bring good money at market. I don't have any first hand experience with them though. I would suggest talk to a Rep from the market you plan on selling though, see which brings the better money in your area. Also, go to the two breeds websites, that could help with your decision. I previsouly had a herd of Limosine, so those are the three breeds I've had experince with. And without any dout I would say, black Brangus cows and Angus Bulls. I can move about 100 cows and calves with a bucket of feed. I'm sure alot of people can do the same but I don't know any.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Angus is a maternal and carcass breed while Charolais are a muscle and growth breed. Generally speaking Charolais are larger framed and leaner. They are a popular cross in Montana and Wyoming with grey calves from a Charolais bull and Angus cows often topping the market. In some areas though grey calves are discounted heavily as buyers think they are "rattails".<p>Charolais are said to have the highest incidence of sickness in feedlots while Angus are said to have the lowest.<p>Calving difficulties will be more prevalent with Charlais, although some of the newer Charolais are easy calving, they then sacrifice the growth. <p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2swcbnec said:
: Can someone comment on the good and bad of these two breeds?<p>We have some of both, and have very few problems with either. Have about 10 PB Charolais cows, and they have had absolutely no trouble calfing. The rest of the herd is made up of 85 angus-cross cows, who also have had very few calfing problems. Take care of a bunch of PB Angus, and have pulled way more out of them than our own. Last year, the pullers were never even broken out of the case at our house. We breed to Charolais bulls yearly, and our calves bring top money at the market every year. The calves come in mid-Feb., are weaned and taken to market in mid-Nov., and with no creep feed, usually average 675-700 lbs. right off the cows. I have seen just as many snorty black cows as I have seen white cows, and we do have a few brangus cows; they are usually the most protective. We, too, can move the entire herd with a bucket of feed. We think the mix is a great one, as do many others in our area. Just my 2 cents worth!
<br>

I have run both breeds for twenty years.I have about every breed and cross there is.My angus-angus cross cows bred to my charolias bull wean at 600+ no creep or grain or implants and bring top dollar.I also have some charolias cows which are excellent but have had calving problems with a couple charolais heifers. This was probably my own fault in chioce of bull for the first timers.As a rule my angus bulls have been more gentle than the charolias. You really cant go wrong with either breed or cross of.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2eweccnb said:
: Can someone comment on the good and bad of these two breeds?<p><br>My experince says stay with Angus on the maternal side. I wouldn't be afraid to cross a charolais with my angus cows but consider this a terminal cross. Charolais cattle mature later and require more feed to breed back than most of the angus. <p>If you are asking this question because you want to know which breed to go with, go with Angus, then your options are wide open with a cross breeding program. I think going with charolais cattle could be more expensive in the long run unless you are raising bulls for commercial sale.
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts